Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shandon street

Options
  • 24-01-2018 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

anyone know who is building this unit on shandon street or whats planned for it?
    (pic attached)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

pic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Looks like it's being completed, a victim of the last recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

aujopimur wrote: »
    Looks like it's being completed, a victim of the last recession.

Has been in planning for years. Seems to be being completed now but doesn't seem to match the planning permission for the site. I expect there will be a few issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

As far as I know there going to be apartments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

fisher8181 wrote: »
    pic

Part of that collapsed a few years back, onto a phone box and a car.

Being demolished ain’t it?

• Advertisement

Part of that collapsed a few years back, onto a phone box and a car.

Being demolished ain’t it?
    The building next door on the corner was the one that collasped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Definitely not being demolished as I can see it our my window! It's been roofed, doors & windows put in and painted in the last few weeks.

Looks a lot better now the hoarding & fences have come down.

440476.jpg

opus wrote: »
    Looks a lot better now the hoarding & fences have come down.

440476.jpg

Amazing what a lash of paint can do to a building.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Looks like what an estate agent would describe as. "A unique opportunity to aquire retail space in this much sought after area coupled with luxury apartments offering ideal first time buyer or investment potential."

• Advertisement

Not painted, that's coloured render.

You learn something new everyday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well done, you.

Tbh getting rid of the wooden fence that was falling apart is the biggest change for me as I was walking past it every day. It's lifted that little bit of the street up a notch.

An improvement on what it had looked like but it's totally different and inferior to what had received planning permission (see attached image).
    Completing this one chunk of the site actually makes it much less likely that the whole site will get sorted. I hope the city council step in and deal with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

@MrTea: I don’t think that drawing you referred to got planning.
    I believe the owner is working off the planning from 2006 (or so) when the building currently being finished received permission (and was completed to roof-level in order to fulfill the requirement to complete the building within the permission time-limits)

fash wrote: »
    @MrTea: I don’t think that drawing you referred to got planning.
    I believe the owner is working off the planning from 2006 (or so) when the building currently being finished received permission (and was completed to roof-level in order to fulfill the requirement to complete the building within the permission time-limits)
    It definitely got planning. Sure of that. They could still be workung off an earlier plan. That's for sure. It's an awful mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

It definitely got planning. Sure of that. They could still be workung off an earlier plan. That's for sure. It's an awful mess.

do you have a link to the planning permission or know what type of retail unit is going in?

The area around the Firkin Crane is taking shape nicely.

449276.jpg

Now if the council would only do something with the semi-derelict craft centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Anyone know what eventually went into this retail spot?

• Advertisement

I noticed this morning that the car park behind that building had a sign up saying closed, wonder if some new is going in there?

The builders are currently working on the building in the pic so imagine it should be finished shortly.

Pharmacy going into the shop unit.

470815.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭yogmeister

Pharmacy going into the shop unit.

470815.jpg

Just what we need another pharmacy on the northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The area around the Firkin Crane is taking shape nicely.

449276.jpg

Now if the council would only do something with the semi-derelict craft centre.

I've always thought this whole area is MASSIVELY under-utilised. In a small area, you have the Firkin Crane centre, the Butter Museum building, St. Annes/Shandon, and some quirky narrow streets and buildings.

In any other city, it'd be packed with bars, cafes, shops; but here it's a fairly quiet, rundown area with streets locked off at night. Pity....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

who_me wrote: »
    I've always thought this whole area is MASSIVELY under-utilised. In a small area, you have the Firkin Crane centre, the Butter Museum building, St. Annes/Shandon, and some quirky narrow streets and buildings.

In any other city, it'd be packed with bars, cafes, shops; but here it's a fairly quiet, rundown area with streets locked off at night. Pity....

Alot of the area is older residential, not exactly somewhere where you'll find bars and entertainment popping up. There are a few cafés and the like there but overall pretty rundown. The narrow streets aren't very pleasant to walk around because there's cars parked all over the place, but given its a residential area, that's to be expected.

I moved there ~3 years ago and haven't regretted it. The cafe that's behind the Firkin Crane closed down & is now a pottery workshop. Luckily it's almost as quick to head to Myo on Popes Quay.

There are a few bars near St Annes but wouldn't really call them tourist places though! As well there's one on Dominck St that's been closed for quite some time & just appears to be sitting there idle.

If the old Craft Centre was revitalised then it would help a lot I think but despite the efforts of SARA (Shandon Area Residents Association) the council seem to be content to just let it rot :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You'd be brave to go into any of the pubs up around there unless you were born n reared up around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You'd be brave to go into any of the pubs up around there unless you were born n reared up around the area.

Maureen's (Formerly Pat Buckley's/Miss Pat's) is a lovely, quiet spot.
    But, yeah, the pubs around St Anne's aren't very inviting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I wouldn't even call most of them pubs. A lot of them are just drinking dens inhabited by the same chronic alcoholics who've been going there for decades day in day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

That's kind of my point - an area that could and maybe should the tourist centre of the city, is instead an area where people would be wary of visiting.

In my ignorance, I've lived in the city for about 27/28 years now, and it was only a few years back I walked through the area. The walkways up from the river, the square around the Firkin Crane / Butter Museum, St. Annes, and the walk down towards the hotel are all really nice.

Not saying it would have to be turned into a Temple-Bar like pub and restaurant area; it could just as well be a craft-shop area, or that square would be a great spot for an artisan food market?

You might have objections, with it being such a residential area; but it'd surely add greatly to the value of the properties too. Considering the proximity to the city centre, surely that's an aspect that has huge potential too.

Advertisement