Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Film Festival 2018

Options
  • 23-01-2018 8:48pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Running from February 21st to March 4th this year. Full programme launches tomorrow. Any wishes or predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I'm looking forward to seeing Paul Schrader and his new film and I'll go to see one of the films he is introducing as guest curator.

I really haven't a clue what to expect from the rest of the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

On Chesil Beach would be a bit of a coup, but it'd be quite far ahead of its general release, so probably unlikely.
    Other than that, I've not thought much about it, but we'll find out tomorrow.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Damsel and The Tale would be nice, but very rare that ADIFF can pick up Sundance titles so they’re outside bets.

Hopefully they’ll screen Columbus as it needs some love. I thought it was great but seemed to be lost in distribution limbo for the UK / Ireland last I checked.

Zama and Western seem to be the only two films from last year’s Sight & Sound list that aren’t released / imminently due for release.

Fingers crossed for Isle of Dogs, which I know will be out soon but I can’t wait to see the bloody thing ;) The annual hope that they’ll screen the new Sang-soo - this time On The Beach Alone At Night - because the Blu-Ray is an expensive import!

Not a whole lot else knocking about out there off the top of my head, as I feel most stuff has already screened somewhere (got through a few of my ‘must watch’ titles at the French Film Fest last year - and they were clever enough to have two screenings of most titles!). As usual, will all be about the unexpected gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,685 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wonder will Alex Garland's Annihilation be one of the biggies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I wonder will Alex Garland's Annihilation be one of the biggies

It's going straight to Netflix and will be out by then.

• Advertisement

It's going straight to Netflix and will be out by then.

No cinema release?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    No cinema release?

No, straight to Netflix everywhere except North America, I believe. Netflix don't do theatrical releases except for award consideration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Isle of Dogs!

I mean, there’s other stuff too, but...

Isle of Dogs!

PDF of full programme available here:

http://www.diff.ie/content/files/ADIFF-Programme-2018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Any thoughts on what are the ones to look out for this year?

I booked Isle of Dogs and Foxtrot, thinking about Black 47 but it is a bit expensive.. anyone know if this movie is meant to be good and what the standard Irish release date will be?

I was also considering Disobedience and Dawson City: Frozen time but neither of those 2 seems to be listed on the site to book tickets...

• Advertisement

My schedule is shaping up like this, with one or two likely to be added. I'll probably go to the Surprise Film, even though the batting average is dire. Some of the changeovers are a bit tight, but they tend to allow for that. As always, there are clashes (My Friend Dahmer and the Surprise Film, Red Sparrow and Thoroughbreds, Beast and the Paul Schrader interview) but it's not too bad, especially compared to other years, most notoriously when The Grand Budapest Hotel clashed with the Stanley Tucci interview.
    However, I discovered this morning that the late addition of The Ballad of Lefty Brown in Cineworld (announced yesterday, but not in the programme) does clash with the workable two-in-a-row of The Line and Above the Law in the Lighthouse, meaning that you have to write off both those films if you want to see the Pullman one. The Vanessa Redgrave interview doesn't seem to be listed online yet. Presumably it will appear soon. I'm delighted about the Leon Vitali documentary.

Wednesday 21st: Black 47
    Thursday 22nd: The Breadwinner
    Friday 23rd: Interview with Paul Schrader, Paradox, Revenge
    Saturday 24th: The Line, Above the Law
    Sunday 25th: Filmworker, The Bookshop, The Cured
    Monday 26th: Madame, You Were Never Really Here
    Tuesday 27th: My Generation
    Wednesday 28th: Isle of Dogs, Red Sparrow
    Thursday 1st: Wonderstruck
    Friday 2nd: The Third Murder
    Saturday 3rd: Journeyman
    Sunday 4th: Racer and the Jailbird, C'est La Vie

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads what are the main films jumping out at you here? I plan to go to this festival every year but never end up doing it, so I want to plan ahead this time!

Lads what are the main films jumping out at you here? I plan to go to this festival every year but never end up doing it, so I want to plan ahead this time!

I haven’t had a chance to properly peruse the brochure yet so may have a few others to flag later on, but ones that I’ve heard good buzz about would be Zama, The Workshop, Revenge, Kissing Candice and A Sicilian Ghost Story.

Obviously there’s a few titles from more established filmmakers like The Third Murder and You Were Never Really There, although they’re both out very soon after the festival.

In terms of classics, An Autumn Afternoon (one of Paul Schrader’s picks) is one of the best films from perhaps the best filmmaker there has ever been - a big screen treat for those who go along, although easily available otherwise :)

Real shame Columbus didn’t make the cut.

Damo & Ivor :p

Lynne Ramsay's You Were Never Really Here with Joaquin Phoenix (looking very like Mel Gibson)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

So far for me:
    Friday 23rd. Performance
    Saturday 24th. Autumn Afternoon
    Tuesday 26th. Tower: A Bright Day
    Thursday 28th. Isle Of Dogs
    Thursday 28th. Zama
    Saturday 3rd. How To Talk To Girls At Parties
    Sunday 4th. Surprise film

I have a week off work from the Monday for this. Will have to work around getting to come in an hour or two later to see Performance. I'll miss all the Hong Kong films, and a couple of others I'm interested in that are screening over the opening weekend, but then, I'm free for the rest of the festival, and will be adding another 6 or 7 or so movies to that list, will defo go to a couple of the ADIFF Shorts. Haven't had time to have a proper look through the programme yet, but plenty of interesting stuff so far!

Finally got to sit down and make out a (preliminary :o) schedule - amazing how easy it is for 100 quid to disappear just like that, ey?

The Israeli film Foxtrot (from the director of Lebanon) is another one that's gotten incredibly good buzz, and has really annoyed the country's right-wing culture minister so it must do something right :p

Haven't heard of the Hong Kong ones before, but Our Time Will Come is by Ann Hui (who did a Simple Life a few years ago) so likely worth a gander.

Taking a gamble on a few experimental ones and a random pick here and there, so fingers cross there's some good stuff in there! Little bit surprised at how high the ticket prices are climbing for some of the screenings, mind.

Jaysus lads, the tickets are pricey! I'm half tempted to wait a month to see Isle of Dogs on general release.

So, now Mary Magdalene is added for the 28th and it effectively clashes with Isle of Dogs, Red Sparrow, Zama, Thoroughbreds... in fact, anything else on that evening cannot be juggled successfully with it.

Bill Pullman Q&A after the screening of The Ballad of Lefty Brown on Saturday 24th February
    So, now Mary Magdalene is added for the 28th and it effectively clashes with Isle of Dogs, Red Sparrow, Zama, Thoroughbreds... in fact, anything else on that evening cannot be juggled successfully with it.

Featuring guest appearances from Joaquin Phoenix, Rooney Mara and director Garth Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just arrived at the champers reception for Black 47. Your one Bláthnaid from RTE is here ateing all the amuse bouches! Cheek of her.

Looking forward to this, and the festival itself of course, looks like it could be a good one, but can't help feel it won't be the same without the old Savoy One being involved.

• Advertisement

I liked the "famine western" Black 47 more than I thought I would. The windswept, bleak aesthetics of Polanski's Macbeth combined with a revenge narrative. Die Hard with a Musket, if you will.

Yeah, really liked it too. Our Django Unchained !

Well, not quite, more an Unforgiven vibe if anything, but nice to have one at least revenge flick based around the famine (are there others?).
    Really like that they touched upon the fact that there was no shortage of food in certain circles back then, as this is something that is not widely known at all. In fact shipping records from back then show that there was a staggering amount of food exported to Britain during that time also and all while the Irish starved. Genocide might be a more apt word to be using than famine.

Anyway, not a bad opener...... but how the hell was a screening of Black Panther scheduled to end in Screen 17 at 8.50 when a Gala screening was due to start at 9? Madness. As a result the intros to cast and crew felt rushed and tbh I much prefer those happening after we've seen the damn film. Always feels weird applauding those involved in making a film when you haven't even seen it yet. Q&As are much better then also of course, not that there was one last night, but it would have been nice to have one.

Minor gripes, granted.

Yeah, the scheduling was ridiculous. Massive queues still circling the escalators at 9:00. And I totally agreed about wheeling on cast and creatives beforehand. It might give them a nice photo opportunity for the festival website, but it's kind of meaningless for the audience, who haven't seen the film and can't fully appreciate their appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Great to hear Paul Schrader talk after his new film, First Reformed, if only for a short 20 minutes or so. I thought the film was great, another of his 'Lonely Man' stories.

After a slow start it built into a quietly powerful film about a conflicted man driven to contemplate an act of violence. Definitely shades of Taxi Driver but with religion as its backdrop instead of grimy 70's New York.

Yeah, liked First Reformed too. Wouldn't mind a second viewing.

Didn't see the point in making Schrader introduce it. The post film Q&A would have more than sufficed.

Haven't seen Pickpocket so looking forward to see that tomorrow given how much he says that it influenced his work.

Was also at The Man Who Brought Down the White House tonight and even though I'm a bit jaded with all the Watergate stuff I've seen of late (The Post and a screening of All The President's Men in the Lighthouse on Sunday) I still and all really enjoyed it.

Lads was anyone else here at Performance? The projector was ridiculously loud. Was that because it was an old film reel?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJ59

I enjoyed First Reformed although it lost its way towards the end. Was disappointed with Mark Felt.

Saw Beast tonight. A terrific film deserves a wide audience. Hope it gets a release.

Yeah, Beast was excellent. Felt more like watching a TV mini series to me though rather than a film. Hadn't realised Jessie Buckley was Irish until it was pointed out in the Q&A. What an excellent performance from her.

Also seen In the Fade tonight and Revenge...
    I suspect the odds are I'll be dreaming of a vengeful violent woman after watching those three films back to back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Lads was anyone else here at Performance? The projector was ridiculously loud. Was that because it was an old film reel?

Didn't notice it to be honest. The soundtrack and sound affects were pretty out there/of it's time. There was some fúcker sporadically snoring asleep somewhere in the audience.
    I enjoyed it, it was one of those films I always meant to see, but somehow never got round to it. Good to see it first time on the big screen.

• Advertisement

Didn't notice it to be honest. The soundtrack and sound affects were pretty out there/of it's time. There was some fúcker sporadically snoring asleep somewhere in the audience.
    I enjoyed it, it was one of those films I always meant to see, but somehow never got round to it. Good to see it first time on the big screen.

I was sitting down the back so that must have been why it was so loud. Haha yeah I heard that snoring dude as well. Good film, like you say, very of its time but interesting none the less.

Advertisement