Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomePod

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    When did he do this??

last week, one arrived yesterday and one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

He got lucky so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Why are HomePods not available to buy on the Irish Apple Store?

Is it legal reasons about using Siri?

And does the HomePod work with all its features here even though you can’t buy it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Why are HomePods not available to buy on the Irish Apple Store?

Is it legal reasons about using Siri?

And does the HomePod work with all its features here even though you can’t buy it here.

I have two and they work perfect.

I have two and they work perfect.

Thanks

Do you have an AppleTV ?

I have been told HomePods are great as speakers for AppleTV

• Advertisement

Thanks

Do you have an AppleTV ?

I don’t I just use them for music and home automation. Top class sound but could be a little more “smart”. A bit to do on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

Thanks

Do you have an AppleTV ?

I use a pair of the originals in a pair for the AppleTV in the kitchen ... when watching netflix etc ... in the living room I have a Sonos Playbar.

whippet wrote: »
    I use a pair of the originals in a pair for the AppleTV in the kitchen ... when watching netflix etc ... in the living room I have a Sonos Playbar.

What do movies on the HomePod sound like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

What do movies on the HomePod sound like?

It’s far better than the speakers from the TV anyway ... but the HomePods are mainly for listening to radio / music / podcasts in the kitchen

The original HomePod has been discontinued by Apple. I wonder have they got something new in the pipeline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

The original HomePod has been discontinued by Apple. I wonder have they got something new in the pipeline.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-discontinues-full-sized-homepod-to-focus-on-homepod-mini.2288158/?fbclid=IwAR3_sOhrrSLDK2Ju-FPGHVHcq0Ag2Hk1LZZlCWrYZCKasaFbazSR_GvqUZ4

Which is a Dean shame because the mini doesn’t support atmos and it’s going to be impossible to get another matching one to pair up now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

OU812 wrote: »
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-discontinues-full-sized-homepod-to-focus-on-homepod-mini.2288158/?fbclid=IwAR3_sOhrrSLDK2Ju-FPGHVHcq0Ag2Hk1LZZlCWrYZCKasaFbazSR_GvqUZ4

Which is a Dean shame because the mini doesn’t support atmos and it’s going to be impossible to get another matching one to pair up now
    They have 7 in stock.
    https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE4644358

shanec1928 wrote: »

Ordered just now. They were down to two and it works out €20 more than from the U.K. with no hassles in customs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Thanks Shane - you cost me €352.49 before breakfast this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

:D i hope you get it they are saying they are all out of stock now

:D i hope you get it they are saying they are all out of stock now

Yup. Just segueing with them now about it.

They’ve authorised the funds and gave me an order number but then came back to say they couldn’t fulfill.

Very bad form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Yup. Just segueing with them now about it.

They’ve authorised the funds and gave me an order number but then came back to say they couldn’t fulfill.

Very bad form

Same here - Very Poor

They just cancelled my order & the preauthorisation.

Will take about a week for the funds to be released.

So I guess that’s that. There’s no other company organising deliveries from the U.K., right? Both parcel wizard and parcel motel are ROI only now and address pal runs the risk of additional duty

Best way to get Irish stations and not rely only Siri Interpreting our accents:

1. Download and buy IAP for Broadcasts (great Irish app) - https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/broadcasts/id1469995354

2. Build shortcuts like in screen attached.

543713.png

3. "Hey Siri run newstalk* shortcut"

* whatever name you want here, try avoid using the key phrase "play" as that will have Siri going through TuneIn or their own backend instead of running the shortcut.

If you do this shortcut approach you can even automate it using HomeKit automation to start playing every morning at 8am for example.

I tried this and I cannot get Siri to run the shortcut. I think Siri won’t run a shortcut that opens an app on my phone. I have to open my phone and select the shortcut and it will work but doesn’t work via voice command. Wondering am I doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,405 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

And that's why the product has flopped and is now officially dead.

Product is ridiculously over priced when compared to the competition, and had less features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

murpho999 wrote: »
    And that's why the product has flopped and is now officially dead.

Product is ridiculously over priced when compared to the competition, and had less features.

Yes, Siri is poor and the HomePod has no I/O, but the sound is, if reports are to be believed, far better than the competition. I have one and love the sound, but I haven't heard many Echos, Google Homes, etc...

My one just arrived from hunt office. Ordered Monday but bank holiday in between.

iniall wrote: »
    Yes, Siri is poor and the HomePod has no I/O, but the sound is, if reports are to be believed, far better than the competition. I have one and love the sound, but I haven't heard many Echos, Google Homes, etc...

I have homes, parents have Alexa

Alexa sound is better than Google. HomePod is the best though by a long way, HomePod mini is better than Alexa also so the OG is WAY better again.

Alexa does have an add on bass unit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,405 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

iniall wrote: »

Yes but if you want a good speaker sound (which it had) then just buy a good speaker.

It's features and abilities that you buy smart speakers for and Apple's offering just doesn't live up to what Amazon or Google can offer.

I saw that as an iPhone and iPad with Apple music, so I'm not against Apple.

But I have 2 Amazon Echoes plus, work seamlessly with my light bulbs and plus. Integrates well with my phone, Apple music and podcasts work.

Alexa is definitely smarter than Siri and the price is way under.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It was clear very early on that sound quality wasn't the major selling point for "person in a tube/cylinder/sphere" type speakers. Apple moved too late with the HomePod mini and it cancelling the original HomePod would cast doubts on whether Apple actually care about this market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I have homes, parents have Alexa

Alexa sound is better than Google. HomePod is the best though by a long way, HomePod mini is better than Alexa also so the OG is WAY better again.

Alexa does have an add on bass unit though.

Remember too that if you want better sound from Alexa/Google, there's Sonos and other third parties that have them built in to their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I find the HomePod is the better option if you are more tied into the Apple ecosystem in a lot of cases. I had echo dots before I got the mini and find I’m using the mini a lot more than I ever used the dot.

I mainly use the Apple stock apps. Playing podcasts, music, reminders and notes all work perfectly with the HomePod. I never used any of these with the echo, even though Apple Music support was added it wasn’t a great experience and it randomly signed out a lot.

In the end I mainly used the echo dot for controlling smart devices. I’m using the HomePod for a lot more than that so I find it depends on the apps you use and features you use the most.

Airplay 2 support is definitely a big addition for me, just tapping the button to send audio to the speaker is so handy. One of the most impressive little things is that it picks up my voice even when music is playing loudly, that still surprises me with how well it works.

Remember too that if you want better sound from Alexa/Google, there's Sonos and other third parties that have them built in to their products.

I’m gradually phasing out the Google homes. Going to replace them with minis.

Where’s the best place to order a Mini now? Going for my third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Where’s the best place to order a Mini now? Going for my third.

Argos seem to have in stock for home delivery. Ordered one today so fingers crossed it arrives.

Advertisement