Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alaska 8.0 Earthquake...Tsunami Alert

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Chrongen wrote: »
    The Alaska warning seemed pretty serious.

Over hyped nonsense like every second story on the news these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Reading this I really fear for society.

This appears by all accounts to be a fairly serious earthquake.

Now I enjoy a good joke as much as the next man but my immediate concern was to contact my family in Seattle and inform them and to get them to higher ground.

They are on the way in the middle of the night but they have said that the alert has been cancelled locally.

The scary thing is that if was an 8.0 and this hits land, it will be in the middle of the night and with no warning in most cases. The potentional for loss of life is huge.

People have become so desensitised to violence and war, and tragic events that unless its them or someone close to them its something to be scoffed at, ignoring, fine. But there's another level of callousness to actually taking an event like this and making it the butt of a joke.

Maybe I'm getting too old. Maybe I'm uncool. But I genuinely fear when this sort of event becomes the butt of idiotic fr ted jokes.

If you are going to make it funny at least link something intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Now I enjoy a good joke as much as the next man but my immediate concern was to contact my family in Seattle and inform them and to get them to higher ground.

They are on the way in the middle of the night but they have said that the alert has been cancelled locally.

The scary thing is that if was an 8.0 and this hits land, it will be in the middle of the night and with no warning in most cases. The potentional for loss of life is huge.

People have become so desensitised to violence and war, and tragic events that unless its them or someone close to them its something to be scoffed at, ignoring, fine. But there's another level of callousness to actually taking an event like this and making it the butt of a joke.

Maybe I'm getting too old. Maybe I'm uncool. But I genuinely fear when this sort of event becomes the butt of idiotic fr ted jokes.

If you are going to make it funny at least link something intelligent.

You said the alert was cancelled....so what's the worry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

No one cares if it's not going to effect them. I suspect you wouldn't either if you didn't have family near it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Looks like a false alarm in any case. No sign of any tsunami so far, warnings are being downgraded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What's with America and their false alarms lately. Can't even trust the meteorologists now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

What's with America and their false alarms lately. Can't even trust the meteorologists now!

I like when someone critices science.

I like it even more when they cant even get the name of the scientists right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismology

Not all earthquakes in the ocean cause tsunamis so it's better to be safe than sorry.

Though why a weatherman would tweet about a tall wave in the sea is beyond me. Tsunamis are only just detectable out that far so it was a stupid thing to put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Yeah, I'd say the 7 figure a year suits getting on at Sutton or Killiney and alighting at the IFSC can't afford a Skoda like you.

Ah but if they could afford an electric car they could use the Dart line.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

There was a very real risk of a serious Tsunami. Better to be safe than sorry.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

BillyBobBS wrote: »

If there's an earthquake and then a tsunami alert it should be taken very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have family in that area . I am quite sure they would rather be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

they can't take a chance. can totally understand the warnings.

the ones from 2004 one would be happy to have had a warning I bet

Gotta keep the people afraid at all times. Terror, Y2K bug, Anthrax, SARS, Swineflu, birdflu, manflu, Ebola, Tsunami, Large Hadron Collider, The Russians, The Koreans, The Iranians, blah, blah.

:pac:

One of the ocean sensors did show a rise of 32 feet in fairness

BillyBobBS wrote: »

You take the bogus threat of Sharia Law and a Caliphate quite seriously don't you :pac:

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I have family in that area . I am quite sure they would rather be safe than sorry.

Most of Seattle is kinda high up anyway, isn't it. It's all hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Most of Seattle is kinda high up anyway, isn't it. It's all hills.

I didnt mention Seattle ? My family are not in Seattle ! They are on the west coast of Canada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Can I come out from under my desk now?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I didnt mention Seattle ? My family are not in Seattle ! They are on the west coast of Canada

That was Mr Icognito. Your family are probably more in danger of grizzly bears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I like when someone critices science.

I like it even more when they cant even get the name of the scientists right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismology

Oh please, it was tongue in cheek. Thank you for correcting me though. I'm all the richter for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Someone in the office today...."The weather is mad lately. Sure there was an earthquake today in America. Crazy stuff".

Me...Eh ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Let's wait for more news before speculating who is at fault.

No need, by the law of averages it's either Trump or the mussies.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Let's wait for more news before speculating who is at fault.

Damn, you missed such an opportunity for a great pun..

Let's wait for more news before speculating where the fault lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There seems to be a bit of friction in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,016 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Jawgap wrote: »
    There seems to be a bit of friction in this thread.

thankfully, it seems to have plateaued

Advertisement