Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

being woken up by birds!

Options
  • 22-01-2018 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭

... of the feather kind LOL . :D

They are getting in the loft somewhere I cant see where or any holes outside in the eaves and if I go up into the loft I cannot see because its a dormer house and you cannot get to certain parts in the loft.

Noisy feckers they are, about 6am they start and im not bleeding getting up at that time -
    and i didnt even think they would be nesting up there at so early on in the year. But I suppose its because its mild on the whole.

Anyway the quick fix seems to me at the moment is to put in them gummy ear plug things - but i have never used them do you feel them when they are in? - would I get asleep with them in or can you feel that they are there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Are they curved tiles on the roof, the birds can get in under the curve on the first row of tiles in some houses. Better to take care of it now or they will be building nests soon, they also peck at the felt and destroy it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Send a cat up there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

... of the feather kind LOL . :D

They are getting in the loft somewhere I cant see where or any holes outside in the eaves and if I go up into the loft I cannot see because its a dormer house and you cannot get to certain parts in the loft.

Noisy feckers they are, about 6am they start and im not bleeding getting up at that time -
    and i didnt even think they would be nesting up there at so early on in the year. But I suppose its because its mild on the whole.

Anyway the quick fix seems to me at the moment is to put in them gummy ear plug things - but i have never used them do you feel them when they are in? - would I get asleep with them in or can you feel that they are there?

Play some hawk or eagle sounds. They will **** right off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Are they curved tiles on the roof, the birds can get in under the curve on the first row of tiles in some houses. Better to take care of it now or they will be building nests soon, they also peck at the felt and destroy it

no, its slated roof, must be getting in eaves somewhere. cant see any holes - and its not an old house, like it wouldnt have rotten timbers on the roof and the eaves are metal corrugated painted white ... but they are finding their way in anyhows

ah yeah they seem to be pecking (or sounds like it) the metal guttering (seamless guttering) early in the morning too - it sounds like their beaks are hitting off the metal guttering. They most probably getting worms or something out of the guttering

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ah yeah they seem to be pecking (or sounds like it) the metal guttering (seamless guttering) early in the morning too - it sounds like their beaks are hitting off the metal guttering. They most probably getting worms or something out of the guttering

You've a bigger problem if there are worms in the gutters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Probably not the beaks but herons or talons of the birds. Can sound like that when they move sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I live beneath a lovely Polish dude who seems to walk entirely on his heels, and comes home from work at 7am. I don't start work til 12 noon, so 7am is the middle of the damn night to me. But he is otherwise very pleasant, so I am loathe to ask him to step more lightly.

I wear noise cancelling in-ear headphones, and play 10 hour long YouTube videos of thunderstorms. Honestly, I have never slept so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Rats.

suppose I could put a speaker up there and play mp3 of a hawk or eagle on a timer ... but then that would wake me up :)

• Advertisement

I live beneath a lovely Polish dude who seems to walk entirely on his heels, and comes home from work at 7am. I don't start work til 12 noon, so 7am is the middle of the damn night to me. But he is otherwise very pleasant, so I am loathe to ask him to step more lightly.

I wear noise cancelling in-ear headphones, and play 10 hour long YouTube videos of thunderstorms. Honestly, I have never slept so well.

cor, i shall have to try it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hotel California at 7 am. No thanks.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Rats.

if it is, its rats that go cheap cheap! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

if it is, its rats that go cheap cheap! :)

It must be, because birds go cheep cheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

living in Sligo must be like living in a sitcom, every day there is some quirky thing happening to you, or is it scripted?

previous episodes include "1 girl 2 cups"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I stayed in my sister's at the weekend, she lives in port laoise and I've never seen so many birds.
    Jesus it was like the film with hundreds of them flying around the place. They woke me up at some ungodly hour :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I stayed in my sister's at the weekend, she lives in port laoise and I've never seen so many birds.
    Jesus it was like the film with hundreds of them flying around the place. They woke me up at some ungodly hour :(

I bet Pat Mustard was up well before you

It must be, because birds go cheep cheep.

ah yeah so they do lol :D

and to think earlier on today i laughed at someone on a local buy and sell site selling a Cough (with a picture of a couch) .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

My new next door neighbour got a Rooster and the bastard thing was cock-a-doodle-doing the last 3 mornings.
    Had roast chicken dinner yesterday and strangely he wasnt to be heard this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

suppose I could put a speaker up there and play mp3 of a hawk or eagle on a timer ... but then that would wake me up :)

I found I just had to play them a few times and then they didnt come back. Had starlings trying to nest in the gutters so played it before they got settled and they didnt nest. Put in on loudest and opened window

• Advertisement

if i could get up high enough I could put a scarecrow up there - anyone know if the hanging of old CD's trick work? - they dont like the reflections apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If there is moss on the roof that will attract them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Right now there is about 20 birds tweeting away in my back garden. Some racket, but its a racket I haven't heard in months.

The cat is intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Another cracker of a thread from the one and only AFS!

elperello wrote: »
    If there is moss on the roof that will attract them.

ah yeah there'd be a fair bit of that i reckon

Omackeral wrote: »
    Another cracker of a thread from the one and only AFS!

no comprehendé .... - does not compute. Whats AFS ?

Right now there is about 20 birds tweeting away in my back garden.

Same here in my garden today.

pretty_little_liars_cellphones_2.jpg

no comprehend... - does not compute. Whats AFS ?

A flippin' sap Andy From Sligo of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Omackeral wrote: »
    Same here in my garden today.

pretty_little_liars_cellphones_2.jpg

Jeez, I've a few starlings.

So, what're you feeding them?

• Advertisement

Jeez, I've a few starlings.

So, what're you feeding them?

Attention and retweets.

Advertisement