Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

Not a Maths graduate yourself, so.

Hah. Funnily enough I was great at Math and Applied Physics in my day.

You get the point. I love numbers.

Lesson learned about directly quoting you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

Oh, and just to address this: of course it is fair!

If he claimed to be talking to aliens, but didn't recommend it to anyone else because it turns out aliens are really dull, would you say that we should not judge him on that?

This is complete kookery.

You do understand that the two things are unrelated and not linked in any way.

Why did you try and link them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

atticu wrote: »
    You do understand that the two things are unrelated and not linked in any way.

While Mad Scientist is a popular trope in various media, it is not nearly as common in actual real-life science.

And being a Mad Psychologist is a particularly odd niche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

He discredits any pretensions at even a slight association with science with this frankly insane diet nonsense.

He's allergic and intolerant to most foods and he's not suggesting others so it so I don't see a problem? If he kept eating foods that made him sick then he'd be antiscientific. What he's doing is common sense.

While Mad Scientist is a popular trope in various media, it is not nearly as common in actual real-life science.

Do you think having an unusual diet and speaking to aliens are pretty much the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

The air of superiority off your posts is astounding.

The air of superiority off your posts is astounding.

Thought the same.

Funny as I thought with a post count like that there could be some interesting insights. How wrong was I!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Oh, and just to address this: of course it is fair!

If he claimed to be talking to aliens, but didn't recommend it to anyone else because it turns out aliens are really dull, would you say that we should not judge him on that?

This is complete kookery.

No it isn't.

I don't eat an all meat diet, but I eat a diet high in protein and low in carbs, with some green veg thrown in.

I used to be obese, and thanks to that diet, I lost all the weight and have successfully kept it off for a few years at this stage. I'm lean as a greyhound now.

The ketogenic/carnivore diet works extremely well, maybe you don't need to go as far as Peterson, but for a lot of people, its a life changer.

And I say this as someone who has now come to the idea that Peterson is a con artist, after having talked about the good things he has said and done earlier in this thread.

atticu wrote: »
    Do you think having an unusual diet and speaking to aliens are pretty much the same thing.

An unusual diet is where you insist on eating a pomegranate every day.

Eating nothing but cows and salt is not just an unusual diet, it is bonkers.

A man with pretensions to lecturing people about evolutionary psychology who is himself on an insane diet has credibility issues.

I don't eat an all meat diet, but I eat a diet high in protein and low in carbs, with some green veg thrown in.

My point exactly: you are not crazy.

Peterson says he doesn't need Vitamin C, because humans produce it themselves if they don't eat cereals.

EDIT: No, he says humans don't need it if they don't eat cereals, not that they produce it. Still wacky talk.

• Advertisement

A man with pretensions to lecturing people about evolutionary psychology who is himself on an insane diet has credibility issues.

Not eating meat is an unusual diet as far as I am concerned.
    That does not make people who don’t eat meat crazy.
    Just means that they have made a choice that they are happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I don't have much of an issue with Mr Peterson. He's just a guy who makes his money giving talks to a certain demographic. Like that Sarkesian one, he speaks a certain kind of pseudo intellectualism that appeals to his audience but isn't convincing to the more well rounded.

My biggest problem with him is that when I watch a video of his on youtube, my suggestions turn into this weird concoction of alt-right talking heads and conspiracy theories involving Jews. I'm guessing that google's algorithm has found a large overlap between people who watch his videos and people who watch those stupid conspiracy theory videos.

It's actually not though.

I think you may have jumped the gun in your assumption of bonkers. This Keto diet is well known. I'm not assuming you haven't read or googled this diet, but, you should if you haven't. And if you have and still think that way - that cannot make sense. This diet has been around a long while before one day some Journalist asked some random person called JP "How's your Diet and how is your daughter's health?"

So this JP guy has now tailored the diet into just Beef. Yet as he signals, his health has never been better. I've been personally doing a diet very close to this, although not as extreme - and my health has also turned a corner. That is very personal to myself, and I am a big cynic at heart. It's put manners on my soul. However, like JP - I'd only ever give information if it is brought up. Ain't no preaching as I am only going on people's research and antidotal evidence. I've been doing this years though and have settled on where I stand. Even my Doctor has settled as my health results are showing all positive since then.

You may seem to suggest he has credibility issues - but honestly - that's extreme exaggeration of a conclusion. What he is doing is actually not as extreme in the world of Health and isn't in the realm of Bonkers. The science behind this Keto type diet is growing every year and the WHO is currently doing a 5 year study on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Meh.

The beef diet is a bit extreme alright, but if it works for him...

Not sure if people here know about his daughter ? She had rheumatoid arthritis from a very young child, really had a tough childhood with that, had hip and ankle replacements , she was depressed (no wonder when you're constantly in pain, I have psoriatic arthritis as an adult, had many down years there before getting treatment, pain while you sleep, when you wake, throughout the day really brings you down).
    She was heavily medicated from a young age also, and these immuno suppressants have a way to slap you in the face.

Then when she reached the young adult stage, she decided to try and eliminate things from her diet to see if it made any difference. She experimented for ages, removed things, reintroduced them, removed more, fell off the wagon... finally she found that the things that caused her the least symptoms were meats. Fruit, veg and nuts, when she tried to reintroduce them, were causing symptoms at different levels. So she just said feck it, and went for an all meat diet. Then she ditched the other meats and stuck to beef only, and felt even better. Now she reckons she's thriving on that diet, and she looks great.

She reckons it's all to do with having a hyper sensitive immune system.

JP saw how much better the daughter was doing, he had a few immune related ailments himself, he knew there's a tendency for depression in the family, he thought sure, I'll chance eliminating some things myself just to see.
    He took a similar, but faster journey.

If you look at the lectures on his page, you can see for yourself how much better he looks at whatever age he is now than what he looked like in his forties.

So yeah, it does seem a bit mad, but I get where they're coming from. It's not nice having a bonkers immune system, and if you find something that works I would totally see how you may stick with it.

here's her blog http://mikhailapeterson.com/

I'd be very tempted to try myself if I didn't have high blood pressure and early stage kidney disease. Not sure how it'd fit in with that. And I'm a bit of a skeptic re-diet/immune system link, but if it works...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd be very tempted to try myself if I didn't have high blood pressure and early stage kidney disease myself. Not sure how it'd fit in with that.

with that combination, a diet of only red meat and salt is probably not a good idea, even without the risk of gout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Yeah but it's an easy target for the regressive leftist loons to throw at him again and again ...

Im a proud regressive leftist and I think JP is a complete hack, I just try to be fair and I know which hills are worth dying on and which arn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

RWCNT wrote: »
    Im a proud regressive leftist .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Spleerbun wrote: »

Feels good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Bambi wrote: »
    with that combination, a diet of only red meat and salt is probably not a good idea, even without the risk of gout

I know, sounds like a recipe for disaster !

creatinine 268 mmol/L ! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I don't have much of an issue with Mr Peterson. He's just a guy who makes his money giving talks to a certain demographic. Like that Sarkesian one, he speaks a certain kind of pseudo intellectualism that appeals to his audience but isn't convincing to the more well rounded.

My biggest problem with him is that when I watch a video of his on youtube, my suggestions turn into this weird concoction of alt-right talking heads and conspiracy theories involving Jews. I'm guessing that google's algorithm has found a large overlap between people who watch his videos and people who watch those stupid conspiracy theory videos.

I got bored of him, generally, but I watched a couple of interviews of him recently and enjoyed them. The clip on his beef eating was taken from a bigger interview with Helen Lewis. It is a good interview, very combative out of the traps. I think he expresses himself very well - not pseudo-intellectually at all. She comes across as a practised mouth piece for ideology, though she maintains good composure throughout and lands an occasional blow, for which she can take credit.
    The issue about people who are conspiracy or alt right types being involved somehow with him (which is untrue, in my opinion) does not so much speak about Peterson, I think, but rather about the paucity of compelling philosophers/thinkers who are prepared to go against the grain of the present post-modern social conditioning which we are experiencing. He is a voice representing an approach where there are as yet few authentic voices, that is all - that is why he ''attracts'' some certain types. There are plenty of other types who do not fall into such a category who are interested in what he has to say. The 4 chan reddit pepe alt-right types are a tiny, tiny demographic - yet are used persistently as a trope to shut down debate.

Anyways the video is here (I hope)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah its amazing how you click on one of these vids and your feed gets flooded, its no wonder the internet is getting so polarised

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Zorya wrote: »
    I got bored of him, generally, but I watched a couple of interviews of him recently and enjoyed them. The clip on his beef eating was taken from a bigger interview with Helen Lewis. It is a good interview, very combative out of the traps. I think he expresses himself very well - not pseudo-intellectually at all. She comes across as a practised mouth piece for ideology, though she maintains good composure throughout and lands an occasional blow, for which she can take credit.
    The issue about people who are conspiracy or alt right types being involved somehow with him (which is untrue, in my opinion) does not so much speak about Peterson, I think, but rather about the paucity of compelling philosophers/thinkers who are prepared to go against the grain of the present post-modern social conditioning which we are experiencing. He is a voice representing an approach where there are as yet few authentic voices, that is all - that is why he ''attracts'' some certain types. There are plenty of other types who do not fall into such a category who are interested in what he has to say. The 4 chan reddit pepe alt-right types are a tiny, tiny demographic - yet are used persistently as a trope to shut down debate.

I quite enjoyed that interview. I still don't agree with Peterson's world view, but he was quite collected and stuck to the point for the most part. He continually interrupted the questions though, which I found tiresome.

There were a few times his preconceptions of the interviewer got in the way and he interrupted to start answering before the question was really asked. I enjoyed that the interviewer challenged him on it and he backed down a bit.

His reputation of the "white nationalists" were good to hear. But they do like him, from what I can see. So I'm not sure the value of denying that.

I'd love to sit down and chat to him. As I've said before, I don't like his ideas but he seems like a nice man who means no one any harm.

I'd like to ask about his obsession with hierarchy and why he thinks it's fundamentally a good thing once it doesn't become tyrannical. I'd also seriously question his idea that we live in a hierarchy of competence. It's my opinion that if hierarchy needs to exist it should be ordered by competence and co-operation, but it isn't currently ordered that way. Social mobility statistics tell us that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I would also say that the interviewer doesn't come across as a mouthpiece for an ideology at all. She bucks that trend on transgender issues for a start. She comes across as quite reasonable.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We already knew Jordan Peterson is a climate change denier from his PragerU video, but he has gone into more detail in a recent Cambridge Union talk

He is such a dangerous character. This man worked for the UN editing a document and is using this as a platform to say that he has some kind of expertise on this issue, and his position is that the science is still uncertain and that we shouldn't act because we don't know what the solution is

That is utter and total horsesh1t. The science is more than strong enough to justify very strong action on climate change. We know with a very high degree of confidence that the more emissions we release, the worse it will be for our climate in the medium term and certainly in the long term. The only uncertainty is whether inaction is going to be lead mere disaster, or total catastrophy.

He then goes down on Bjorn Lomborg (calls him a genius) for his thesis which is nothing more than one big false dichotomy saying that we have to choose whether to reduce poverty or tackle climate change when in reality, there is absolutely no reason why we would have to choose one or the other, and even if that was the case, not tackling climate change will be much more devastating for the worlds poor than not spending the relative pittance we do now on development aid.

His other point is that 'we don't have a clue how to solve climate change'. Which, again, is more rubbish. We know what is causing it, we know what we have to do to stop it, and there are multiple avenues we could pursue to achieve this (Nuclear, solar, wind, geothermal, hydrothermal, hydrogen, biomass, carbon capture, carbon sequestration etc etc) but all that is missing is the political will to invest in these solutions and (more importantly) prevent the existing reserves of oil coal and gas from being extracted and burned
    These can be done through something similar to the Martial Plan but on a global scale and it would actually boost the global economy and afterwards we would have a 3rd millenium infrastructure that isn't rapidly poisoning us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Brian? wrote: »
    I would also say that the interviewer doesn't come across as a mouthpiece for an ideology at all. She bucks that trend on transgender issues for a start. She comes across as quite reasonable.

She did until she turned around and said something along the lines of "about the lobsters... the science in your book is bollocks". Additionally, she couldn't really rationalise her position and just moved on to the next question several times instead of exposing herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Pleasure to watch, I wouldn't really agree with him as far as the environment is concerned and overpopulation denial - but he just nails it with the whole gender gap myth and 3rd wave feminism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

I've always been struck by how uncontroversial he actually is.

Like even with the diet thing. He isn't putting out video after video telling people about this amazing new diet that will change your life. If anything he is saying "don't do this, I don't like it and I'm not even sure if it's working".

The reaction to JP just seems to be WAY over the top compared to what he actually provides. It almost feels like his fame has actually been entirely constructed and nurtured by his detractors.

This is a guy who's reputation precedes him but when you actually get into his "message" it's just so mundane I can't imagine anyone getting all that worked up about it.

With the lobsters he is really making the mundane of mundane points. Yeah, we have something observable and measurable in common with a common ancestor. Wow. Except people are flipping out over it and trying to hold his feet to the fire because... what?

The best argument I can think of is that he is some kind of "gateway" to the alt-right and other extremist groups but is that only because he comes across as kind of a conservative?

Wouldn't it make more sense that the far-right and conspiracy minded people have attached themselves to him simply because he riles up their ideological opponents so much? Sort of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"?

He must have disavowed the far-right hundreds of times by now but it keeps coming up.

Like he is hiding this extreme right wing stuff under this boring persona? Then how do things like the lobsters or his diet fit into the larger picture? Am I going to say "oh sh!t I did stop eating carbs and only ate meat and I've dropped a lot of flab and I feel kind of good maybe I will join the KKK tomorrow"? Or, "that's kind of interesting how Lobsters react to anti-depressants, I guess I am alt-right now"?

I think what's happened here is that "The Left" have reacted to JP with a completely overblown amount of hysteria. For some reason they have tried to destroy him and discredit him based on very little and, as a result, the have turned him into almost a household name.

It's funny you bring up Sarkeesian because she is essentially his mirror image. Mundane, really not all that controversial at all. Yet, there are a group of opponents hanging on every word waiting to jump all over even the smallest error or the slightest unconventional or debatable comment. So she becomes famous and then people know that even mentioning her is a good way to wind up or troll their supposed opposition.

Why do people hate this guy so much?

What you'll notice as well about the GQ interview is that his supporters see it as him "owning" the interviewer but his opponents see it as the interviewer "owning" him.

This is from The Guardian on November 1st: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2018/nov/01/pity-jordan-peterson-lobster-analogy-replace-sense-humour

Reading over it I wonder if there is any more value in this article than there is in one of the talking heads who support him blindly on Youtube?

Brian? wrote: »

No she does not "buck that trend".

She concedes only that a small part of it is biological. She still wants to say that it's "largely" a social construct. Largely is obviously not quantifiable but I'd suspect she is thinking almost entirely social construct.

How does that buck the trend.

"Gender is a social construct" and "Gender is largely a social construct" are distinguishable, sure, but it's hardly bucking the trend is it?

If she had come out and said "there are 2 genders and those are determined by biology" then hell yeah I'd say she's bucking the trend and going against her obvious ideology.

She isn't and, worst of all, you KNOW she isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Pleasure to watch, I wouldn't really agree with him as far as the environment is concerned and overpopulation denial - but he just nails it with the whole gender gap myth and 3rd wave feminism.

Yes good interview

I agree with him re climate change to the extent that I find the Malthusian population control arguments repulsive. Essentially his point is we are here, we can't force whole populations to endure poverty to save the environment - especially when projections are so variable - so best to raise all boats with the tide and use ingenuity and increase in human brain power resources to cope. In general he did well here. I have a bias not towards him though but against modern feminism (I'm female) so my bias would be to find her arguments simplistic, dogmatic, ideological etc

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    He is such a dangerous character.

Wow, I feel like JP defense force here today.

How is he a dangerous character for questioning the common beliefs on climate change?

You say we know how to solve it but do we? I mean, if we say we know what's causing it and we know what avenues we could explore does that mean we know how to solve the issue?

There is a difference between "there is an issue and I know how to solve it" and "there is an issue but we don't know how to solve it". It's not "dangerous" to be on team "we don't know how".

It's like any deviation from pretending we all care so much about the environment is met with anger but I don't get that.

"The only uncertainty is whether inaction is going to be lead mere disaster, or total catastrophy."

Right and what you obviously haven't considered is that there are some actions that could potentially ALSO lead to disaster or catastrophe.

So we just need the political will to invest yeah? Invest what? Who pays the price?

Choosing whether to reduce poverty or tackle climate change MIGHT be a false dichotomy but there is plenty to suggest that maybe it's not.

It's easy for you to say with your internet access etc BUT in some parts of the world ALL that matters is where your next meal is coming from.

Why is there a point blank refusal to look at this in any other way?

Guys, if we just stop using up the resources then we can save the planet! It's that simple, eh?

You even seem to admit it yourself... "not tackling climate change will be much more devastating for the worlds poor".

Much more devastating, yeah? So if tackling it is devastating well it's alright because YOU are willing to make that sacrifice?

Except you're not willing to make the sacrifice, are you? You want someone else, from somewhere else, to make it.

Advertisement