Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling hungry after "keto" meal?

Options
  • 20-01-2018 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭

I've been trying my best to eat more low carb lately and dabbling with very low/zero carb meals but I'm finding I'm feeling more hungry after these meals than any other meals and fairly shortly after I've eaten them.
    During the week I had eggs,crab meat and goats yogurt for my evening meal and felt really hungry about an hour later, and less than an hour ago I had eggs, bacon and avocado and I feel hungry again already. It was my first meal of the day, I had coffee with some butter around 10 o clock this morning (awake since around 0830) and for the following few hours I didn't feel as hungry as I do now.
    Anyone know what might be causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Any idea how many calories are in what you ate today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭ooter

Any idea how many calories are in what you ate today?

I've honestly never been one for counting calories.
    A quick Google tells me roughly 300 cals for the eggs, maybe 500 for the bacon and maybe 150 for the avocado, so about 1,000 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ooter wrote: »
    I've honestly never been one for counting calories.
    A quick Google tells me roughly 300 cals for the eggs, maybe 500 for the bacon and maybe 150 for the avocado, so about 1,000 in total.

How much of each did you actually eat?
    The above would be 5 eggs, 250g bacon, and maybe 100g avocado.

Mellor wrote: »
    How much of each did you actually eat?
    The above would be 5 eggs, 250g bacon, and maybe 100g avocado.

Google told me 500 calories for around 100g of bacon, 310 for 200g of eggs and 160 calories for 100g of avocado.

Google told me 500 calories for around 100g of bacon, 310 for 200g of eggs and 160 calories for 100g of avocado.

Did you weigh the bacon, eggs and avocado?

• Advertisement

Did you weigh the bacon, eggs and avocado?

No, half a pack of 200g (10 rashers) bacon, 3 eggs and half a large avocado.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No, half a pack of 200g (10 rashers) bacon, 3 eggs and half a large avocado.
    100g Denny bacon is 194 cals, 3 eggs is about 210 cals, and half an avo is 120cals.
    524 cals. Not a small meal or anything, but If you're under estimating total intake it might explain when your hungry.

That's strange. Most entries on MyFitnessPal have 100g of rashers at <250 kcals.

Anyway, drink more water. People often mistake thirst for hunger.

Fair enough, as I said I've never paid much attention to calories.
    I was expecting to feel full for ages but was surprised at the opposite.
    I drink tonnes of water by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Fair enough, as I said I've never paid much attention to calories.
    I was expecting to feel full for ages but was surprised at the opposite.
    I drink tonnes of water by the way.

How long have you been trying low carb?

• Advertisement

mathie wrote: »
    How long have you been trying low carb?

About 6 weeks I'd say. Most of the time I'd eat protein with some low carb (fibrous) veg and I'm fine but I definitely see/feel a different response with a low carb (low fibre) protein/fat rich meal. It seems I have an insulin spike when eating those type of meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

You need to eat more fat and less protein. Just add loads of butter on those veggies.

You need to eat more fat and less protein. Just add loads of butter on those veggies.

I do that when I'm eating veg, but avocado, egg and bacon has no veg and plenty of fat.

Advertisement