Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Gym Snacks

Options
  • 19-01-2018 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭

I've been going hard at the gym the past 4 months :D and started to hit my targets I've set in my head (weight, etc...)

I'm touching up what I'm eating/drinking at the moment to progress more - I've noticed how lacking my protein intake is! There lies my question - more protein! Ideally it would be something handy I can eat at my desk in work or walking home from the gym.

Flaked almonds and a protein shake are the two I'm thinking, maybe even a health peanut butter on rice cakes. Not a fan of tuna or hummus. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Protein Shake made with milk rather than water was my go to on the move, and more filling than a shake with water.

However, now I just wait and have overnight oats when I get to my desk - equal volume porridge oats, milk, yogurt and a scoop of protein (I add frozen berries and chia seeds too, but that's been accused of being posh!).

It's overall protein intake that matters though, not really the timing (for protein), and there's mixed evidence about carbs for recovery. Basically there's no point in addressing just immediately post Gym in terms of protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The small tubs of 0% fat greek yogurt are good too - the glenisk ones are 150g and often on special for €1 so you can stock up - 15g of protein in the pot. Fage do them too though they are not stocked in as many places and are a bit dearer usually.

The small tubs of 0% fat greek yogurt are good too - the glenisk ones are 150g and often on special for €1 so you can stock up - 15g of protein in the pot. Fage do them too though they are not stocked in as many places and are a bit dearer usually.
    Aldi do small pots of Skyr yogurt, which are about 12g protein for the 150g pot as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Protein Shake made with milk rather than water was my go to on the move, and more filling than a shake with water.

However, now I just wait and have overnight oats when I get to my desk - equal volume porridge oats, milk, yogurt and a scoop of protein (I add frozen berries and chia seeds too, but that's been accused of being posh!).

It's overall protein intake that matters though, not really the timing (for protein), and there's mixed evidence about carbs for recovery. Basically there's no point in addressing just immediately post Gym in terms of protein.

Not a fan of protein with water - always SuperMilk :D

Have porridge oats for breakkie, might throw protein in - good shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hang on...is 'overnight' oats not just cold porridge.

Excuse my ignorance if I'm missing something.

• Advertisement

Ultimately yes, but different texture compared to just adding porridge straight to milk and yogurt in my experience. Also easier to explain in the office - "no, it's not just cold porridge, their actually overnight oats" :D But you obviously prep the night before, so if you exercise in the morning, one less thing to think about.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Ultimately yes, but different texture compared to just adding porridge straight to milk and yogurt in my experience. Also easier to explain in the office - "no, it's not just cold porridge, their actually overnight oats" :D But you obviously prep the night before, so if you exercise in the morning, one less thing to think about.

I always sat my porridge in the milk the night before. Mostly because time.

I didn't know I would be so far ahead of my time and that I'm actually #fitfam.

I always sat my porridge in the milk the night before. Mostly because time.
    Well for bringing in to work, I just find it easier to prep night before (and do batches for a few days).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Not to go off topic but I actually love cold porridge (as in cooked porridge, gone cold) it thickens up lovely.

Never tried overnight oats i.e. not heating it at all first, I wonder if the consistency turns out the same - might give it a lash, would save the effort!

Not to go off topic but I actually love cold porridge (as in cooked porridge, gone cold) it thickens up lovely.

Never tried overnight oats i.e. not heating it at all first, I wonder if the consistency turns out the same - might give it a lash, would save the effort!

Overnight porridge involves no heating #fitspo #cleaneating #porridgegainz #overnightoatssotasty #hashtag

• Advertisement

So have got into the habit of eating an unsalted rice cake with some 90% peanut butter and 25g of flaked almonds.

Any other suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So have got into the habit of eating an unsalted rice cake with some natural 90% peanut butter and 25g of flaked almonds.

Any other suggestions :)

What's natural 90% peanut butter? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Smoothie with frozen berries, banana, peanut butter, protein powder, whatevers past ripe in the fruit bowl etc...

What's natural 90% peanut butter? :confused:

Didn't meant the natural part :D assuming that's standard :pac:

Advertisement