Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cranberries - why not popular in Ireland?

Options
  • 18-01-2018 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

When I moved to Ireland, more than 16 years ago, I was surprised that I never heard songs of The Cranberries on the radio. During all these years I probably heard them twice or three times. I vaguely remember asking an Irish person once, I was told that Dolores O'Riordan wasn't very appreciated as being a strange person. However, I had asked only one person.
    In the Country where I am originally from they were very popular. I had to travel very far to another city because the closest concert was completely sold out and it was in a very large venue. So far I have met people from other Countries where the band was and still is very popular.
    Now, with the sad loss of Dolores, it made wonder again, why in Ireland they haven't been popular?

Comments

I have to say I was pretty shocked to see how big they are here (Canada) during this last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

They were pretty popular alright. I would have never bought an album or anything (from them or anybody really) but there would be plenty of their songs I'd know off by heart.

Zombie obviously, Linger, Ode to my family, Dreams to name a few.

Well respected band alright. Started listening on Spotify recently again

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Genuinely don't know. There was definitely interest in them - the first album did well, as did the second and Zombie was an absolute smash hit which resonated with the whole country.

But there was never any major "buzz" around them, and after the second album interest in them really faded away.

I always got the impression that they had decided that rather than try to become huge in Ireland, they spent the bulk of their time marketing and touring in the US and the UK, like U2 had done previously.

And in the absence of any major marketing in Ireland, they weren't really kept in the public consciousness. Instead bands like Oasis, Take That, and dance tunes filled the Irish charts while The Cranberries were enjoying their US success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its interesting isn't it.

My thinking on it, there were a lot of Irish Bands back then, a lot never really made it big. I don't think the Cranberries stood out. Also Irish bands didn't really have an chart hits in Ireland over the time Cranberries came to fame in other countries. Looks like we were more interested in music from the UK and USA. The Cranberries also really became a hit on MTV in the mid 90s. We didn't have an MTV channel in Ireland still 2004. We only had MT-USA which was a TV Show only on for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon. I'd say in most house people didn't watch it, as people would have watched football etc.

Maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

As Johnny said they were very popular back in the mid-90s.

The first album, and singles were pretty big, but I remember with Zombie they seemed to cross-over to 'mainstream' if you like, and that was huge.

The next couple of albums got airplay, but I reckon by the time you arrived here, in the early 00's things had gotten quiet from them.

America was where the debut album took off, and they were probably always bigger there, but they certainly were pretty popular her too.

Personally speaking each successive album did less for me, as they went down a more guitar rock/slick production sound.

Sad news this week. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

We tend not to appreciate our own in Ireland. Thin Lizzy were far bigger outside of Ireland until Phil Lynott died. Bono & Bob Geldof are constantly mocked in Ireland and yet they are giants on the world stage.

If it's Irish why knock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dasdog

beauf wrote: »
    We didn't have an MTV channel in Ireland still 2004.
    MTV was on Cablelink at least in the cities from 1990/1.
    noby wrote: »
    The first album, and singles were pretty big, but I remember with Zombie they seemed to cross-over to 'mainstream' if you like, and that was huge.
    This I think. The first album was great but when the distorted guitars came in they seemed a bit over produced or had lost some of the originality or something like that.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We tend not to appreciate our own in Ireland. Thin Lizzy were far bigger outside of Ireland until Phil Lynott died.
    They played the first big open air rock festival at Dalymount Park in 1977 and headllined the first ever Slane when they were in decline in 1981.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We didn't have an MTV channel in Ireland still 2004. We only had MT-USA which was a TV Show only on for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon.

MT-USA only ran from 1984-87, long before The Cranberries were around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Its interesting isn't it We didn't have an MTV channel in Ireland still 2004. We only had MT-USA which was a TV Show only on for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon. I'd say in most house people didn't watch it, as people would have watched football etc.

Maybe I'm wrong.

You are wrong on all of this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,598 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think this whole 'they were not popular in Ireland' thing is overblown. I know a lot of their stuff really really well and I never bought one of their albums. So it was being played regularly somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

I think thIis whole 'they were not popular in Ireland' thing is overblown. I know a lot of their stuff really really well and I never bought one of their albums. So it was being played regularly somewhere.

I totally agree with you! I never bought any of their albums but I knew and liked some of their songs.

You are wrong on all of this anyway.

I was going on this...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_Ireland

I think this whole 'they were not popular in Ireland' thing is overblown. I know a lot of their stuff really really well and I never bought one of their albums. So it was being played regularly somewhere.

I knew of them but wouldn't have been my thing back then...

dasdog wrote:
    They played the first big open air rock festival at Dalymount Park in 1977 and headllined the first ever Slane when they were in decline in 1981.

It was a very small Slane. It was nothing like any Slane after. Very small numbers compared to all other Slane gigs.

sushmita wrote: »
    When I moved to Ireland, more than 16 years ago, I was surprised that I never heard songs of The Cranberries on the radio. During all these years I probably heard them twice or three times. I vaguely remember asking an Irish person once, I was told that Dolores O'Riordan wasn't very appreciated as being a strange person. However, I had asked only one person.
    In the Country where I am originally from they were very popular. I had to travel very far to another city because the closest concert was completely sold out and it was in a very large venue. So far I have met people from other Countries where the band was and still is very popular.
    Now, with the sad loss of Dolores, it made wonder again, why in Ireland they haven't been popular?

Popular in what way? Album Sales? Plays on radio?

Irish radio stations in general don't tend to play Irish artists to the degree that foreign radio stations might. Maybe it's an unwritten rule- people in Ireland know these songs so well, that they want something different.

They were 11 weeks in the Irish singles charts with both Zombie and Linger- both reached number 3 in the charts I think.

Zaph wrote: »
    MT-USA only ran from 1984-87, long before The Cranberries were around.

Just to add a bit of trivia, Fannings Fab 50 was the 80's equivalent of MT USA- but without the video/visual aspect though:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

They weren't huge in Ireland because they were already big in the States before many here had heard of them.

We don't like that. On a number of levels.

The music scene is, or was, about local heroes. Hearing someone before they're big, that's what everyone wants. "Oh you've already sold a million records? I see. So you won't be playing in the Roisin Dubh then?"

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I had MTV in the 90s on Sky. It used to have actual music videos with the odd show back then. Ray Cokes show, can't remember the name sticks in my memory, would have been around 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I remember reading something about island records being in financial trouble or something around the time zombie broke and they focused all their resources on making it in the US. This eas something the band was on board with too. I might have misremembered this though. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dasdog

It was a very small Slane. It was nothing like any Slane after. Very small numbers compared to all other Slane gigs.

Slane is a bit of a step up from the Gaumont Theatre in Ipswich.

http://www.thinlizzyguide.com/tours/year/1981.htm

Rockpalast might compare but that band were completely acknowledged here. They resonated for about a decade and did their homecoming concerts. With The Cranberries it was about a year and only the fans cared.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sesame wrote: »
    I had MTV in the 90s on Sky. It used to have actual music videos with the odd show back then. Ray Cokes show, can't remember the name sticks in my memory, would have been around 1994.

Most Wanted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Dutchy

With naughty nympho Nina!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I wasn't a huge fan but i always liked them. I was only around 10 but I remember seeing the Zombie video on MTV. Later when I started buying cds myself as a teenager, I bought "No need to argue" and "Everybody else is doing it..." and my neighbour lent me "The faithful departed" after I heard him blaring "When you're gone" one day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

They're pretty big in New Zealand, couldn't go a day without hearing one of their songs, mostly on the rock stations but you'd hear Zombie being played in bars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭worded

dasdog wrote: »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slane_Concert#List_of_Slane_lineups

They didn’t headline Slane in 81 Lizzy did and u2 we’re support

They didn’t even play there in 81 at all as far as I know

Popular in what way? Album Sales? Plays on radio?

Irish radio stations in general don't tend to play Irish artists to the degree that foreign radio stations might. Maybe it's an unwritten rule- people in Ireland know these songs so well, that they want something different.

They were 11 weeks in the Irish singles charts with both Zombie and Linger- both reached number 3 in the charts I think.

Just to add a bit of trivia, Fannings Fab 50 was the 80's equivalent of MT USA- but without the video/visual aspect though:P

Ah the nostalgia
    Used to record it on tape .... fannings top 50
    Can still hear the intro now ....

worded wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slane_Concert#List_of_Slane_lineups

They didn’t headline Slane in 81 Lizzy did and u2 we’re support

Dasdog was referring to Thin Lizzy.

dasdog wrote: »
    Slane is a bit of a step up from the Gaumont Theatre in Ipswich.

http://www.thinlizzyguide.com/tours/year/1981.htm

Rockpalast might compare but that band were completely acknowledged here. They resonated for about a decade and did their homecoming concerts. With The Cranberries it was about a year and only the fans cared.

Slane had a turnout of 17K. It also had acts like U2 & Hazel O Connor. Not a massive crowd. The stones pulled in 80K the next year & Sprintsteen over 120K on his own with no support.

I'm not saying Thin Lizzy wern't popular in Ireland it's just most didn't latch on till Phill passed & they were much bigger outside of Ireland.

worded wrote: »
    Ah the nostalgia
    Used to record it on tape .... fannings top 50
    Can still hear the intro now ....

Wish I had kept my radio/tapped cassettes - they'd be magic to listen back to them now.

Slane had a turnout of 17K. It also had acts like U2 & Hazel O Connor. Not a massive crowd. The stones pulled in 80K the next year & Sprintsteen over 120K on his own with no support.

I'm not saying Thin Lizzy wern't popular in Ireland it's just most didn't latch on till Phill passed & they were much bigger outside of Ireland.

I was there at that concert in 81 and 82. Swan in the Boyne at the back of the stage and was told to get out by a security fellow with a dog :-) People swam in free from the far side of the Boyne. Slane was always blessed with hot summer days and it was sweet to cool off.

I digress but .... It always strikes me even now how the media gives very little cover to festivals, they love misery. One photo there of Phil Body and soul hardly got a mention in the papers after the weekend, instead all the usual murders and depressing sh1t was there. A happy weekend festival doesn’t sell papers it seems ... it they don’t want to pay journalists for the photos, who knows.

• Advertisement

Wish I had kept my radio/tapped cassettes - they'd be magic to listen back to them now.

.... and at number 12 this year ....

I had a cable running out the window hat was wrapped around the antenna to get a better receiption. Waiting around to hear a click to flip over the tape and hit record for the other 45 mins

After listening to the tapes a few times I got to like a lot of new bands.

Does Dave fanning still do a top 100 as voted by the listeners?
    The rock show is gone ..

Advertisement