Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

KCross wrote: »
    Forget about EV for a minute.... if you were to go out and buy a new replacement car, what would it be?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not really pushed about the car to be honest, something that is comfortable, value for money, will fit the three kids and can carry the weekly shop in the boot.

The main reason, which I failed to mention, pushing me toward an EV is that I could buy the car via my company and not have to pay BIK for three years. Otherwise I would purchase the car privately and probably pick up a second hand car for about 20k.

From what I heard, the eNiro maybe a better fit as I understand it is a little larger, but my current car broke down again last night and is currently on the way to the garage. I feel I may get about three or four months out of it max (that's if they can fix it). If there is such a thing as a long (3 months) term car rental, maybe I could wait a little longer.

(Edit)
    I just called Kia, eNiro is not expected in October, but the eSoul should be out in July. I may have to switch with the Kona or Leaf.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,153 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How long are your regular journeys? The Ioniq and Leaf 40 are more spacious than the Kona and about 10k cheaper if you were willing to compromise on the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

davemie wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not really pushed about the car to be honest, something that is comfortable, value for money, will fit the three kids and can carry the weekly shop in the boot.

The big question then is, do you need the extra range or not?
    Will it be the only car in the house?
    What will its max daily mileage be (excluding the rare long journey)?

If its less than 200km you should look at EV's in that range.

The main reason, which I failed to mention, pushing me toward an EV is that I could buy the car via my company and not have to pay BIK for three years. Otherwise I would purchase the car privately and probably pick up a second hand car for about 20k.

Two small gotchas is that you dont get the full grant if you buy via a company so that will make an EV purchase €1200 more expensive as a company grant is €3800 vs €5000 for a private individual.
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/grant-amounts/

You also dont get the home charge grant of €600 if the company owns the car.
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/
    "Any private owner who buys an eligible EV in 2018 or later is eligible to apply for this grant."

There is, however, a company ACA scheme for buying an EV and a charge point which will help.
    https://www.seai.ie/energy-in-business/accelerated-capital-allowance/

The BIK saving will help and then you can of course write other expenses off against your tax. You'll need a chat with your accountant to work out those figures.

I presume you would also be able to claim the VAT back on the purchase?

From what I heard, the eNiro maybe a better fit as I understand it is a little larger...

Kona is small. Maybe get the family into one in your local dealer just to try it for size. That will answer that question quickly for you. My gut instinct is that it wont suit you, particularly when you stick in car seats/boosters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm not really pushed about the car to be honest, something that is comfortable, value for money, will fit the three kids and can carry the weekly shop in the boot.

You're talking Leaf, it's very comfortable (do not underestimate the value of the phone app for pre-heating/AC), will take three kids no problem and has a surprisingly large and deep boot.

You can get a L40 as it's readily available, I've read that the eNiro will have a year's waiting list.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

slave1 wrote: »
    You're talking Leaf, it's very comfortable (do not underestimate the value of the phone app for pre-heating/AC), will take three kids no problem and has a surprisingly large and deep boot.

You can get a L40 as it's readily available, I've read that the eNiro will have a year's waiting list.

L62 will be out soon as well

Much sooner than eNiro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

KCross wrote: »
    I presume you would also be able to claim the VAT back on the purchase?

In general, you can't claim VAT back on passenger vehicles, including EVs.

But it seems to me the Kona is a "qualifying vehicle" as defined in this Revenue document, and if the car is used for at least 60% business purposes, 20% of the VAT can be reclaimed (which would more or less offset the lower level SEAI grant for businesses).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ok, problem with charging Kona. charging fine on the official ESB fitted charger but we also have a Chargemaster but it won't charge on that, whilst the Leaf charges on both? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Goldmark

Anyone know what the dropback stages are when fastcharging (50kW) a 64kW Kona. What level of battery will it charge at full rate until and what does it drop back to as it fills the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 onlydave

Goldmark wrote: »
    Anyone know what the dropback stages are when fastcharging (50kW) a 64kW Kona. What level of battery will it charge at full rate until and what does it drop back to as it fills the battery?

It drops from ~47kw to ~38kw at around 75%. I always unplug at that point so not sure what happens after that. Bjørn Nyland on youtube has probably done a video on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭denismc

421 Konas registered already this year! Anyone know what the total allocation for 2019 is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

denismc wrote: »
    421 Konas registered already this year! Anyone know what the total allocation for 2019 is?

I've been in a few Hyundai dealers in the last week everyone of them had 2 registered cars on the forecourts and one 3 most had one in the showroom too. There seems to be plenty on the ground. The Ioniq is scarce alright but there is a few around one dealer had one black in stock said he could get me a white and another dealer said he could get one too. Much preferred the Ioniq on test drive yes the Kona has the power and range but the Ioniq is a much better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

denismc wrote: »
    electrics only or including ICE?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

spakman wrote: »
    electrics only or including ICE?

The 421 is the electric Kona for BOTH Jan and Feb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Apparently, the register is updated by ministerial order twice a year. The Hyundai application is underway and the next update is scheduled for March, so it should be there sometime next month.

Kona EV now on SEAI Accelerated Capital Allowance register:

https://triplee.seai.ie/AcaProducts/ProductDetails.aspx?id=84716&h=False

(And it appears to be backdated to 20/12/2018.)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

would buying a secondhand Ioniq EV be a wise move at the moment, there one in England cheap and free VRT but still unsure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

samjames wrote: »
    would buying a secondhand Ioniq EV be a wise move at the moment, there one in England cheap and free VRT but still unsure

Buying second hand is great but you need to confirm will it suit your driving, maybe start a thread with your requirement s

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Watched a Kona fast charge yesterday and I was not impressed at all. Got to the car, it was charging at 9kW on CCS EFACEC triple head charger. I was guessing it was at least 90% SOC because of this speed and knowing the Hyundais knock off at 94% I decided to hang about - had some emails to write, other stuff to do. Half an hour later it was charging at 5kW and the owner came back to the car. He started the car up and it was showing another 26 minutes until it was finished. He said he had been away from the car for an hour. So 20%-94% in 1:30 hours. That's as nearly as bad as a Leaf 40

Is this normal? It was bitterly cold, not sure if that impacted on the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    Watched a Kona fast charge yesterday and I was not impressed at all. Got to the car, it was charging at 9kW on CCS EFACEC triple head charger. I was guessing it was at least 90% SOC because of this speed and knowing the Hyundais knock off at 94% I decided to hang about - had some emails to write, other stuff to do. Half an hour later it was charging at 5kW and the owner came back to the car. He started the car up and it was showing another 26 minutes until it was finished. He said he had been away from the car for an hour. So 20%-94% in 1:30 hours. That's as nearly as bad as a Leaf 40

Kona does not stop at 94

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,153 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Speed sounds about right to me when you consider the size of the battery compared to the ioniq?

Did owner say he started at 20 percent?????.

Remember that we are talking 20 to 94 percent - which is 47 kwh.

At 45 kw peak thats still over 1 hour minimum.

Tapering is the issue here imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭TheChizler

My mother has charged hers at 50 Kw.

TheChizler wrote: »
    My mother has charged hers at 50 Kw.
    Not in Ireland she hasnt ;)
    Our chargers max out at about 47-48kW max.

Old diesel wrote: »

Remember that we are talking 20 to 94 percent - which is 47 kwh.

At 45 kw peak thats still over 1 hour minimum.

Tapering is the issue here imo
    Tapering and the sheer size of the battery. Charging 64kWh battery at 48kW is going to take time.
    And tapering is super agressive in the Kona/niro. 22kW before 80% I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ELM327 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Just looked on Hyundai Ireland just now.

50 kw charger estimated time to 80 percent is 75 mins.

1 hr 15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Old diesel wrote: »

He actually didn't say that, only that he was away for an hour (no reason not to believe him) and that the car still needed 26 minutes after that. From that I deducted the car probably started charging when it was at about 20-30%. Owner previously owned an Ioniq for the last two years.
    Kona does not stop at 94

That explains a lot. Somehow I presumed it switched off at 94% like Ioniq. Kona must charge excruciatingly slowly after 80% or so...

For most of the time I was watching the car, it charged slower on a fast charger than it would have done on a slow charger :rolleyes:

Fast chargers should automatically disconnect when they go below a certain speed, say 20kW, imho

He actually didn't say that, only that he was away for an hour (no reason not to believe him) and that the car still needed 26 minutes after that. From that I deducted the car probably started charging when it was at about 20-30%. Owner previously owned an Ioniq for the last two years.

That explains a lot. Somehow I presumed it switched off at 94% like Ioniq. Kona must charge excruciatingly slowly after 80% or so...

For most of the time I was watching the car, it charged slower on a fast charger than it would have done on a slow charger :rolleyes:

Fast chargers should automatically disconnect when they go below a certain speed, say 20kW, imho

I think it tapers at 73% SOC down to 30kW and then shortly after that (perhaps 80% soc) down to 22kW. Bjorn has a great video detailing this.
    You should really stop charging at 70% on a Kona unless you're at a HPC like Ionity.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've peaked at 50.01kW on the ABB charger in Banbridge and 49.49kW at the Efacec in Blanch. You don't get those speeds for very long though.

Kona will be lower because it's pack voltage is lower than the Ioniq.

Have gone over 49kw at the one in Castlebar too.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    I've peaked at 50.01kW on the ABB charger in Banbridge and 49.49kW at the Efacec in Blanch. You don't get those speeds for very long though.

Kona will be lower because it's pack voltage is lower than the Ioniq.
    Interesting, must be for the Ioniq super high charge curve relative to other EVs.

I would imagine that each site, although labelled 50kW in reality due to site limitations has slightly different max power.

Advertisement