Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is your Previous investing History

Options
  • 18-01-2018 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

I'm curious, I've been investing since 2004. It started as mainly index funds, then etfs became popular, as they were easier to get in and out of, so I use them. Along the way, I have always held shares of individual companies or commodities I've liked, -Under armour, Apple, green mountain, carbon fibre company, Vodafone, gold and over the last 3 years, Oil.

How has everyone else been trading before investing in Cryptos?

I looked at cryptos about 3 years ago, but found it difficult to find out what its long term goal was, and any info I did find, I had difficulty understanding. I watched as the speculation increased the value, but the product remained the same and in some cases, went from being able to be used in starbucks etc. to not being abble to be used for its original purpose.

I have missed out on the IPO for Facebook as well, so it wouldn't be the first thing Ive missed out on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

SSIA's and Eircom shares :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Only just started investing in EFTs last year, up until that point I was heavy into P2P - good returns, but carries the risk that the lender could disappear overnight. Started in crypto last November, just as the hype train was really building about Ripple.

I must admit tough, I nearly think of this as more of a hobby than investing, I find myself constantly reading about new coins/technologies, new approaches, press releases etc etc even if I don't intend on investing in that coin. I find the entire social psychology around crypto extremely interesting, the so-labelled "FOMO"

I've thrown relative peanuts into crypto to date, but have more than doubled my return, so long let the hobby continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Stocks since 2003 and crypto since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Squozen

AAPL during the boom, then index funds. BTC in December... argh.

Some peer-to-peer lending, but I don't really consider that the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Nada, zilch, nothing, niet. No experience at all.

Looked at it back in April but couldn't get my head around and was busy on work projects but kept an eye on some coins to see if they would rise, Antcoin was at $6 then, and look where it is now as Neo. Bitcoin was $1600 then too. That blew my mind.

Decided to have a second crack at it at the start of October and put €300 into bitcoin which was now at $6600. Punted another couple hundred on Ripple and Fun and left it until December when I shifted half my Bitcoin profits to Raiblocks off a tip from a mate overseas, it was like a tip for a horse so I didn't put everything in when they were at .56c, rage. Got more at $1.19 when I copped what was happening and actually read up on the tech. Was getting the hang of it so traded up on Verge, Pearl and Dragonchain. Then cashed out my initial investment and traded everything except Rai and Fun for a good gain to put into Deepbrain and more Rai.

So what I have now is 1000%+ of my initial investment and I am treating this as play money, if I lose it then it is no skin off my back. I'm happy now to just sit on the Rai for 18-24 months and see what happens and to cash out on both Deep and Fun if they hit $1, however long it takes.

It's been a lot of fun and I've learned a lot. A lot of reading whitepapers, blogs, Boards, Reddit , Discord & Telegram (never used them before and I still don't like them but hey....). Deciding if a coin was worth it for the Tech behind it etc. I like to get my teeth into new projects and this was something I was always interested in so it was a perfect storm at the time it happened. Didn't panic at all over the last few days and told all my friends that had gotten into it also not to panic, there are reasons for everything that happens here, sometimes it can be too late but you really gotta work to get through the FUD and see the truth.

Anyways, the only previous history that could have helped me at all is that I have been working in IT for over 25 years, so I picked up the security and transfers and complete clusterf00k of a process on how to actually trade once I actually sat down and concentrated on it. I bought some Ripple for my Dad and sweet jesus is it hard to explain to him what is actually going on at times so unless you are tech savvy, stay away!

But I'm still hoping for that classy lime green Lambo thank you very much if you please! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Running my own show for the last 30 years, I'd say my biggest single investment has been a directors pension. As a long term, tax free investment IMHO it is a no-brainer. After that a bit of property, also did the SSIA originally thing when it made sense to do so. Crypto is entirely for the craic, arrived at after reading an article suggesting that given some of the freakish rises it made sense to invest about 1% of your net worth in it. I'm currently in for about 0.1% by my reckoning, which is a bit lightweight, but so it goes. I'm enjoying it at an extremely amateurish level, but wouldn't mind digging a bit deeper when and if time permits. I'd like to be playing around more at API level than GUI level on the exchanges at some point, maybe write a couple of analysis apps.

Advertisement