Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

YouTube Creators - Small channels will be cut from the partner program

Options
  • 17-01-2018 11:54am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As the title reads, YouTube have decided to stop monetisation for channels with less than 1000 subscribers and less than 4000 hours of views within the past 12 months.

Here's the full email.

What's Changing
    Under the new eligibility requirements announced today, your YouTube channel, is no longer eligible for monetization because it doesn't meet the new threshold of 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. As a result, your channel will lose access to all monetization tools and features associated with the YouTube Partner Program on February 20, 2018 unless you surpass this threshold in the next 30 days. Accordingly, this email serves as 30 days notice that your YouTube Partner Program terms are terminated.

One of YouTube's core values is to provide anyone the opportunity to earn money from a thriving channel. Creators who haven't yet reached this new threshold can continue to benefit from our Creator Academy, our Help Center, and all the resources on the Creator Site to grow their channels. Once your channel reaches the new threshold, it will be reviewed to make sure it adheres to our policies and guidelines, and if so, monetization will be re-enabled

I think is pretty annoying as lots of people are working hard to upload content and will now see no reward for their work.

I have over 10,000 hours of views but just less than 900 subscribers on my channel, so will no longer see revenue, however small it was..

Any other users disappointed and in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Can you buy followers for YouTube like you can for social media? I presume you can, so I'd imagine that's the route some people will take.

I think it's a real shame for genuine people such as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Can you work on growing your channel? You're not far off it, definitely worth giving it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

wyrn wrote: »
    Can you buy followers for YouTube like you can for social media? I presume you can, so I'd imagine that's the route some people will take.

That'd be a bad idea the way the sub box works, you'd hammer yourself in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I comfortably hit the minutes watched barometer on my active account, but sub base is only 500 - niche hobby so growing could be challenging...or I could put out better content :D Was a bit of a kick to get the mail this morning though.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i got this email this morning and thinking mabey it was a spam email, would youtube really do that? They have really lost their ways from the old days. Im no where near that 1K subscribers so no motivation to upload any more. I done it as a bit of fun and get a few bob a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

That's really a shame, I know there are channels I enjoy watchign videos from but I don't always subscribe... Surely the watched hours is more important that subscriber numbers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

i got this email this morning and thinking mabey it was a spam email, would youtube really do that? They have really lost their ways from the old days. Im no where near that 1K subscribers so no motivation to upload any more. I done it as a bit of fun and get a few bob a month

Not a problem!
    https://ytblaster.com/

ED E wrote: »
    That'd be a bad idea the way the sub box works, you'd hammer yourself in the long run.
    Oops! I meant that as a rhetorical question. If one can buy followers, I can see a surge in that kind of behaviour rather than uploaders trying to grow their following organically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Are they trying to kill you tube altogether.
    It dying as it is since the last change they did.
    A lit of creates have stopped . It's hot worth it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

wyrn wrote:

Cheers mate, thinking of forcing everybody in the office to subscribe :D

GingerLily wrote:
    Can you work on growing your channel? You're not far off it, definitely worth giving it a go

Thanks, it's tough, but it has got me into idea mode :)

Sabre0001 wrote:
    I comfortably hit the minutes watched barometer on my active account, but sub base is only 500 - niche hobby so growing could be challenging...or I could put out better content Was a bit of a kick to get the mail this morning though.

Exactly lads. A kick in the ****s, disappointing to wake up to..

That's really a shame, I know there are channels I enjoy watchign videos from but I don't always subscribe... Surely the watched hours is more important that subscriber numbers?

That's what I thought. It takes years to build subscribers
    Not a problem!

Does that work? I can't see why they'd do it for free. What's the catch? :)
    Are they trying to kill you tube altogether. It dying as it is since the last change they did. A lit of creates have stopped . It's hot worth it

My thoughts exactly. Restrictions and copyright have taken over. Really annoying.

Hopefully, they'll rethink things when they see a huge drop in quality uploads. My fingers are very crossed..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Any ideas what the reasons behind the move are? They are trying to get people to use Creator's Academy to build their following. Is it an attempt to imprive the content quality of what's being monetised? Or improve quality over all? I can imagine there are some really inappropriate videos that they are paying money out on - possible backlash from advertisers? Just throwing a few ideas out there, it still seems like an awful move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

miamee wrote: »
    Any ideas what the reasons behind the move are? They are trying to get people to use Creator's Academy to build their following. Is it an attempt to imprive the content quality of what's being monetised? Or improve quality over all? I can imagine there are some really inappropriate videos that they are paying money out on - possible backlash from advertisers? Just throwing a few ideas out there, it still seems like an awful move.

check out this link to find out a bit more
    Link

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

More or less as I thought, thanks duffman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

tedpan wrote: »
    Does that work? I can't see why they'd do it for free. What's the catch? :)

No idea I have to admit, just caught my eye. So all the usual "advise from some randomer on the internet" applies. :)

No idea I have to admit, just caught my eye. So all the usual "advise from some randomer on the internet" applies.

Haha! Had a look, reviews are poor. Think I'll have to harass friends and family to even get close..

Up to 900 subs now. Think it will be next to impossible to get 100 more in a month..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Up to 900 subs now. Think it will be next to impossible to get 100 more in a month..

I’ll sub if you want there is 1 more 😀

heroics wrote: »
    I’ll sub if you want there is 1 more ��

Haha, if you could I'd really appreciate it! Here's a link to one of my videos

https://youtu.be/2PhfvRAGKuY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

heroics wrote: »
    Done

Up to 908 now ;)

• Advertisement

I've subscribed. Best of luck.

heroics wrote:
    Done

mugsymugsy wrote:
    Up to 908 now

wyrn wrote:

Wow, that was awesome to wake up to. I'm up to 920 now. Honestly, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can return the favour some day.

Cheers guys and happy Friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Subscribed!

Just saw this thread in "latest posts", had a read, now I'm a subscriber ;)

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

@tedpan subscriber now :)

Just saw this thread in "latest posts", had a read, now I'm a subscriber

Good luck with it

@tedpan subscriber now

Really appreciate it guys! Can't believe how awesome my fellow boardsies are. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

No problem. Hope all goes well with your site https://youtu.be/2PhfvRAGKuY

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Maybe this is a good thing for YouTube.

Maybe it will bring it back to a time where it was about people uploading watchable content because they did it as a hobby, instead of what it turned into which is an incessant grind to churn out as much ****e as possible in an attempt to generate revenue from watchers, while also whoring oneself out to be a shill for large corporations.

doylefe wrote:
    Maybe it will bring it back to a time where it was about people uploading watchable content because they did it as a hobby, instead of what it turned into which is an incessant grind to churn out as much ****e as possible in an attempt to generate revenue from watchers, while also whoring oneself out to be a shill for large corporations.

I understand where you're coming from although I think that's what YouTube want. I upload once every week or so, YouTube will favour uploaders who post daily. At the end of the day it's a business and they want to be able to earn as much money from advertising as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

wyrn wrote: »

Just subscribed. All the best.

• Advertisement

Just subscribed. All the best.

Cheers! Can't believe how many boardsies have helped me out. :) I can't thank you enough!

Advertisement