Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you won/inherited 50,000 what would you do?S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Archeron

Surely it depends on what you're inheriting 50,000 of.

Money? Go on a huge holiday.

Puppies? Be confused as to what to do with 50,000 puppies.

Piles of sh1t? Wonder what I did to deserve 50,000 piles of sh1t.

If you inherit 50,000 puppies you're gonna have a lot more than 50,000 piles of sh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Knock it off the mortgage.

I would have had myself taken out and executed 15 years ago on grounds of old fartdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It'd have to mostly go towards the mortgage, boring and all as it is. I'm still in the relatively early days of mine so the mortgage payment is still high enough. Much as I'd love to change the car, take an expensive holiday and do work on the house, I wouldn't in all conscience be able to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I would probably save 40k of it with the aim of it going towards a house deposit. Then just spend the other 10k on whatever I wanted, holidays, shopping for things I don’t need etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

10k on prize bonds then probably slowly chip away at the other 40 foolishly until one day at the atm it tells me I’ve no money and I’m left wondering whisky tango foxtrot happened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

What are all the other answers so sensible?? In fairness while I said spend it all on a new car my wife might disagree so instead

I’ll get https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801162799342?make=LOTUS&model=ELISE&r=2 keep my current car as a daily and put the rest into kids education fund. Fair compromise I think 😂😂

It goes to show how old and boring most of us are :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

It goes to show how old and boring most of us are :o

Or just grown up, like.

Or just grown up, like.

To put it in context I think all of us are old enough to remember 50k being a fvckin sh!tload of money.

My folks mortgage on a new house in d7 in 1986 was 30k. A massive amount at the time to us.

• Advertisement

Buy more Vechain and Icon, and turn it into a real wedge of cash.

david75 wrote: »
    To put it in context I think all of us are old enough to remember 50k being a fvckin sh!tload of money.

My folks mortgage on a new house in d7 in 1986 was 30k. A massive amount at the time to us.

Even now, 50k is a sh!tload of money to me. I'd love to get my hands on that sort of money and lop a load off my mortgage. Then I'd have more spare cash to blow on things I don't need :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Even now, 50k is a sh!tload of money to me.

The same applies to me.

Its a massive amount to me too. I’d squander it tho no doubt about it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lilmiss82 wrote: »
    but to others it is a hell of a lot
    And they shall spend it the fastest.

It’s strange, it feels as though 50,000 euro went from being worth “a sh’itload” to “not that much” very quickly. It doesn’t seem to have lingered in the middle ground for very long. Probably nothing compared to how quickly money seemed to lose its value between the 70s and 80s I suppose. It’s going to be strange in the future when everyone is a millionaire without it meaning that they are “rich”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭worded

A few weekends of fun or one weekend of sheer lunacy

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cripesonfriday

If it was an expected inheritance I'd be as dull as most, pay off part of a mortgage or fund the kids going to college.

But an unexpected inheritance from an estranged aunt or a big win on a scratch card?

I'd buy myself a watch, a Submariner, then another couple of watches. Then another on the way out (near the register, impulse buy).

Ten grand on watches, five grand to charities, €35 balance towards my kids' future.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dancewithme

I have researched how much it would cost me to go back to college yo study midwifery. €40,000 is what I need. € 50,000 would be class. With the leftover €10,000 I would go to Alaska for a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Buy a nice reasonably priced car and then put the rest of it away and save it. €50,000 is nice, but it's hardly a million euro. I'd rather save for when I feel I really need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

XRP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Pay off a chuck of the mortgage would be nice. I'd take it off the monthly payments so I could spend a bit more from my actual earnings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I unexpectedly inherited a slightly lower but still sizeable amount, at the end of a period I spent abroad in a much higher paying job when I was putting most of it away into savings. Both combined allowed me to put a deposit down for a house with reasonable mortgage payments while on the lower wages back in Dublin. That was 3 years ago, just slid under the 50%LTV at the end of last year, hoping to be done with it in 10-15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

david75 wrote: »

Even now, 50k is a sh!tload of money to me. I'd love to get my hands on that sort of money and lop a load off my mortgage. Then I'd have more spare cash to blow on things I don't need :D

It's strange how I can relate to both viewpoints.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Probably buy another 3 decent bikes....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I'd do an MBA then double my money in two years of employment

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SimpleDimples

€40k towards house and €10k to flitter away on enjoyment, holidays, fancy meals, some art, jewellery etc. You only live once so couldn't be sensible with all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Pay my bills.

Have a ****.

Yeah, like thats the order you'd do them in!:rolleyes:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I think I’d blow 5k, save 15k and pay 30k off my mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

About 25-30k off the the mortgage. Nice 2nd hand car, 2014/15 reg, rest towards some home improvements, and a nice gadget or two.

Advertisement