Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self driving cars

Options
  • 17-01-2018 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Would you ride one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

defrule wrote: »
    Would you ride one?

depending on the roads, yep, I would be in the back with my seat belt on though.

Self driving cars use gps co-ordinates (afaik) and the satellite guidance system is only accurate to within 1 metre at the minute. So I wouldn't trust a self driving car in a car park yet, but on the open road I would be on for giving it a go for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not yet but down the line it would be handy . like long motorway driving.
    I wouldn't want it all the time . just like cruise control. or adaptive driving just a bit smarter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

defrule wrote: »
    Would you ride one?

Depends what it looked like ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

depending on the roads, yep, I would be in the back with my seat belt on though.

Self driving cars use gps co-ordinates (afaik) and the satellite guidance system is only accurate to within 1 metre at the minute. So I wouldn't trust a self driving car in a car park yet, but on the open road I would be on for giving it a go for sure.
    Highly Autonomous Vehicles use what are called high definition maps, along with GNSS, to determine their location in the real world. These maps are accurate to about 30 cms, they will be updated in real time by the cars themselves and are what the vehicle will use to get from Cork to Dublin.

However, with regard to car parks and the vehicle's immediate environment on the open road, they will use technologies such as radar and lidar (like radar but using light not radio waves).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I enjoy driving, even the relatively boring motorway miles, so I'd be slow to take a self driven car by choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

368100 wrote: »
    Depends what it looked like ;-)

LuyISaI.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Highly Autonomous Vehicles use what are called high definition maps, along with GNSS, to determine their location in the real world. These maps are accurate to about 30 cms, they will be updated in real time by the cars themselves and are what the vehicle will use to get from Cork to Dublin.

However, with regard to car parks and the vehicle's immediate environment on the open road, they will use technologies such as radar and lidar (like radar but using light not radio waves).

Thanks, I didn't know that. There was a guy on Newstalk a few months ago who was explaining why the technology wasn't sufficient enough yet, because of satellite inaccuracy. It is only accurate to within 1 metre, he stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

If I change my name to Michael Knight, then yeah. Incidentally, did he ever just sit in the back sit and kip and let KIT drive away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Thanks, I didn't know that. There was a guy on Newstalk a few months ago who was explaining why the technology wasn't sufficient enough yet, because of satellite inaccuracy. It is only accurate to within 1 metre, he stated.
    Autonomous vehicles won't depend on GPS/GNSS alone. As any land surveyor will tell you the signal can be blocked by trees, buildings etc. Plus the elevation returned by GPS is basically junk for self driving purposes.

So, like commercial aircraft, the cars will also have inertial navigation units, and as I said they will also use real time hi-def maps, lidar and radar sensors. The vehicles will also "talk" to each other so that collisions should be impossible.

There is huge investment going into this in Germany, Japan, USA and China.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Not right now but for sure in the future when the tech is as bulletprrof as it can be. As mentioned motorway driving would be great. Sit back, watch a movie/read a book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I can see them working on motorways and urban areas,but given the state of our mud strewn,pothole filled,open drain back roads maybe not so much.
    If they can't work on every road I don't see how they can be authorised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Horses were fairly autonomous transport. It wasn't so long ago that you could go to the local saloon, play a bit poker, get smashed on brandy, have an ol' punch-up, go flying out the saloon window and if you were helped onto your horse it would get you home.

Do we really need to reinvent the wheel hoof?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

They'll put a lot of people out of a job and make .001% of random people extremely rich.
    The jobless will feel bad about themselves
    The rich will feel good about themselves
    and it will generally be considered a great thing that a problem nobody had was solved

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I enjoy driving. Don't want a car driving me around.

I wonder what the insurance on these is going to be like?
    High or low?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Surely it won't start with actual people in cars but It'll be amazon or walmart or ikea, putting some sort of yoke on the road to carry their **** straight to your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Registered Users Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not right now but for sure in the future when the tech is as bulletprrof as it can be.
    The technology doesn't have to be "as bulletproof as it can be". Self-driving cars make sense once the technology reaches a point where the cars are safer drivers than humans are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Motorways and dual carriageways are one thing but most Irish roads weren't even constructed with human operated automobiles in mind much less autonomous ones.

The beginning of the autonomous revolution will be slower than people think. It will start with the likes of the American big rigs delivering from depot to depot without ever entering built up or populated areas. Germany and France are probably among the only European countries with a similarly capable infrastructure?

Needless to say we're at quite a disadvantage. This won't be like the motorcar revolution where people just bought one hit the road leaving legislation to play catch up. That wont be allowed - certainly not within the EU.

Also, I'd be slightly sceptical of some technology developers over egging their advances. Most are looking for investment or in the case of bigger names - headlines, and of course a nice bump in stock valuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/12/02/autonomous-driving-levels-0-5-implications/
    Just one of many sites explaining the Levels of Automation. Chances are you know or are a driver at Level 2. 
    Level 5 is a long way away but the path to migration towards it is there and by 2030 a number of countries have set ambitious targets for self driving trips.
    Anyone been on the DLR in London? It's self driving since it was put in over 30 years ago. yes, it's not the same as road based transport but automation and artificial intelligence is here to stay and will only increase it's influence on us. Humans are probably the only thing slowing it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ye all those large EU countries with their car manufacturing are definitely not going to push it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'd rather an autonomous car than get in a car with some of the imbeciles I see daily on the road. I'd bet if every car was made autonomous in the morning, road deaths would drop close to zero.

Varik wrote: »
    Ye all those large EU countries with their car manufacturing are definitely not going to push it.
    Why not? Self-driving cars will have to be manufactured too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Would autonomous cars have a bit of cop on, and slow the f**k down when it's icy or very wet on the road??

There are many Irish drivers, that I would be quite happy to replace with a well trained monkey... Never mind an intelligent robot!! :P

Seriously though, I don't really look forward to a future filled with automation and AI robots everywhere... It seems crazy right now, but one day I do think they could become a threat to much more than just our jobs!

But human curiosity is such, that we will probably build these dangerous machines anyway... because deep down we actually quite enjoy flirting with our own self destruction! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

As somebody that shares the M50 with human drivers every day, I'll gladly take my chances with the robots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Where did you pull that out of ?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wonder what the insurance on these is going to be like?
    High or low?
    Incredibly low. They're proven several times safer and less likely to crash than human driven vehicles.

You won't have to worry about insurance anyway, as most people won't own one. You'll book it like a taxi to come when you need it, arrives 3 minutes later, takes you where you want to go and drives off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Autonomous vehicles won't depend on GPS/GNSS alone. As any land surveyor will tell you the signal can be blocked by trees, buildings etc. Plus the elevation returned by GPS is basically junk for self driving purposes.

So, like commercial aircraft, the cars will also have inertial navigation units, and as I said they will also use real time hi-def maps, lidar and radar sensors. The vehicles will also "talk" to each other so that collisions should be impossible.

There is huge investment going into this in Germany, Japan, USA and China.

One downside is the desision making each car would have to make in a head on collision.
    Imagine you are driving on a very small road on the edge of a cliff. You happen to come across a sharp corner only to be greated by suprise by on oncoming driver. Each car will talk to each other and if collision is unavoidable to minimise collateral damage and risking lives in both cars one car will decide to veer off the cliff. This is calculated by who is in the car, how many people etc

skinny90 wrote: »
    One downside is the desision making each car would have to make in a head on collision.
    Imagine you are driving on a very small road on the edge of a cliff. You happen to come across a sharp corner only to be greated by suprise by on oncoming driver. Each car will talk to each other and if collision is unavoidable to minimise collateral damage and risking lives in both cars one car will decide to veer off the cliff. This is calculated by who is in the car, how many people etc
    Not at all. With self-driving cars the situation shouldn't arise since neither car will be "surprised" by the other; each will have known all along that the other is approaching. The awareness of a self-driving car is not limited by lines of sight.

If one of the cars is human-driven and non-communicating then of course a surprise collision could occur. But (a) the self-driving car will know that this is a blind corner, and will approach it on the basis that it has to be able to stop if there turns out to be another vehicle coming. And, more to the point, (b) in a collision between a self-driving car and a human-driven car, the outcome will not be decided by an algorithm, since the human-driven car is not controlled by an algorithm. The outcome will be decided by the mechanics of the situation and the reactions, or lack of them, on the part of the human driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

For me it depends on if the "shopping trolley dilemma" is legislated for.

Unavoidable accident. Car has 2 choices.
    a - Kill you. b. mount the kerb and kill the two pedestrians.

Unless i had assurances that the car was programmed for choice b, then i'd never set foot in a car that could make a choice to kill me.

Advertisement