Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Santander Ferry starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TheDriver wrote: »
    Cork Swansea ferry comes to mind, that dump of a Greek boat. Sleeping on floors in bar and hallway come to mind

That ferry was nothing compared to the one they briefly ran from Cork to Saint Malo. Something like 23 hours on a boat with a dozen or so truckers and a couple of hundred cattle. Restaurant only opened for a couple of hours. It was pretty grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Cruise Ferries have people spoilt. This is a commerical ferry aimed primerially at Trucks, it works in other countries; eg The UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

roundymac wrote: »
    Cruise Ferries have people spoilt. This is a commerical ferry aimed primerially at Trucks, it works in other countries; eg The UK.
    No problem with commercial/truckers ferries but if its a 33 hour crossing people need to know what they are letting themselves in for

roundymac wrote: »
    No problem with commercial/truckers ferries but if its a 33 hour crossing people need to know what they are letting themselves in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

ted1 wrote: »
    1,322 for 5 if us going in the 15th June back July 3rd with a cabin each way. The price point is way off especially for a economy ferry

I can get flights to Bilbao for 500.

Return flights to Bilbao for 5 people for 500 euro is a great price to be fair, ill still be taking the ferry, looking at recent posts ive a sneaky suspicion, nah, wont go down that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I am not sure I understand why people are so worried about 25-30 hours on a reasonably modern ferry. This is not a five week crossing on a famine ship.

You have laptops, tablets, kindles, and good old traditional books. If all that doesn't work, you can also sit inside (or outside) and watch the ocean pass by. And yes, I have a family and happily have them do the same.

I have done the Ireland-France crossing a few times (in the 1990s on the old St Patrick and whatever Brittany Ferries were running from Cork in the day) and found the time just flew by. More recently, I have done a few cruises and it is really not the food/entertainment/pools that I enjoyed the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

1,322 for 5 if us going in the 15th June back July 3rd with a cabin each way. The price point is way off especially for a economy ferry

hey where you getting them flights? I'm being quoted 375 per person, 6 hour stop over, no baggage.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

TheDriver wrote: »
    Cork Swansea ferry comes to mind, that dump of a Greek boat. Sleeping on floors in bar and hallway come to mind

always some clever ****er with a tin whistle or a bodhran or a couple of fights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

embraer170 wrote: »
    I am not sure I understand why people are so worried about 25-30 hours on a reasonably modern ferry. This is not a five week crossing on a famine ship.

You have laptops, tablets, kindles, and good old traditional books. If all that doesn't work, you can also sit inside (or outside) and watch the ocean pass by. And yes, I have a family and happily have them do the same.

I have done the Ireland-France crossing a few times (in the 1990s on the old St Patrick and whatever Brittany Ferries were running from Cork in the day) and found the time just flew by. More recently, I have done a few cruises and it is really not the food/entertainment/pools that I enjoyed the most.

Agreed. The facilities (or lack of) are well flagged so just enjoy the trip, if it suits your circumstances. No wifi on board by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I posted about this already in the thread in the Travel forum.

This ferry won't be taking foot passengers. So straight off they are completely ruling out any potential cycling tourists. That is a shame.

The Bay of Biscay is also meant to be a very rough sea so a trip on this ferry may not be the most comfortable.

It looks like a good option for freight especially with a hard brexit been a possibility.

The ferry from Portsmouth seems to bring a good few tourists from the UK. I was on a beach in the area and was surprised to see a good few English families there until I learnt of the ferry route.

Hopefully it will do very well and maybe a better ferry will come in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,120 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No WiFi on board to start anyway. Also there's capacity for 195 vehicles but only 120 cabins :eek:. 30 hours....nah thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Zico !

Sounds horrific,long journey rocky water and nowt to do on it-nah ill fly

The Brittany Ferries website is extremely clear that this is an economy service (you have to specifically tick that you are aware of it). Those most surprised might be the people booking on 3rd party sites.

One thing that is not so clear is the the Friday night ferry from Cork gets to Santander on Sunday. There is no warning and I can imagine more than a few expecting a Saturday 08:00 arrival.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    No WiFi on board to start anyway. Also there's capacity for 195 vehicles but only 120 cabins :eek:. 30 hours....nah thanks.

It doesn't seem possible to book the crossing without a cabin. As soon as there a few trucks onboard, the 195 vehicle capacity drops significantly.

This is what I consider potentially misleading. People doing the maths may get it, but I am not sure others will.

This is what I consider potentially misleading. People doing the maths may get it, but I am not sure others will.
    That could certainly be clearer but anyone who thinks you can sail from Cork to Spain overnight really shouldn't be going on a motoring holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bogman wrote: »

Return flights to Bilbao for 5 people for 500 euro is a great price to be fair, ill still be taking the ferry, looking at recent posts ive a sneaky suspicion, nah, wont go down that road.
    I’ve a shed load of avios points which brings the price down to 500. ( adavantages if having regular long haul flights with work )

tinner777 wrote: »

hey where you getting them flights? I'm being quoted 375 per person, 6 hour stop over, no baggage.

thanks
    Using avios points

Using avios points

A cash price comparison might be more useful.

Using avios points

A cash price comparison might be more useful.
    500 Euro is the cash price for 5, as I was talking about my instance and no one else’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Aer Lingus Dublin Bilbao for those dates
    2 adults + 3 kids on the Plus fare is €2169.

Ryanair Dublin Santander €1117 on Plus fare.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Can you smoke on ferries?

pilly wrote: »
    Can you smoke on ferries?
    Outside only.

First Up wrote: »
    Outside only.

Are you serious or joking?

Outside only.

Serious. All ferries have sone open decks. Thats where smokers go.

Outside only.

Serious. All ferries have some open decks. Thats where smokers go.

Serious. All ferries have some open decks. Thats where smokers go.

Thank you, good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Thank you, good to know.

You'll be alright, they put a survival suit and tie a lifeline on you when you are going out :)😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

do prices change regularly on these? do britanny ferries have sales? they have a sale at the moment but seems to be on France and about packages.

also what is the difference between inside and outside cabin, window?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

namloc1980 wrote: »

Families of 4 occupy some cabins so where is the problem ? Did you fail maths ?

• Advertisement

Dai John wrote: »
    Families of 4 occupy some cabins so where is the problem ? Did you fail maths ?

You think some of the vehicles are driver-less?

Advertisement