Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork - Safe areas to live

Options
  • 15-01-2018 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello everyone! I'm moving to Cork in a few weeks and looking to find a place within walking distance to city centre, on the south side. What areas would be the best to look at?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Boreenamanna road is nice and walking distance, as is the lough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Erikk2017

Thanks horgan_p! I'm currently looking around Boreenamanna Rd close to city, Douglas Rd and High Street - Would the last two be safe enough as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

All 3 of them would be very safe areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Ballyphehane, Turners Cross are lovely areas, safe as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

To be honest, it's very unlike Dublin in the sense that there aren't really any "unsafe" areas in the city centre and immediate area. There are a few run down areas but you'd spot them a mile off. They're more poor / unkempt than rough though.

The rough areas of Cork are generally areas of social housing, none of which are in or particularly close to the city centre and, unlike Dublin, there are very pleasant residential areas that basically run into almost the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's dog-eat-dog in the housing stakes at the moment. Take what you can get that looks decent. There's not a lot on offer unless you have deep pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Zico !

Ballyphehane, Turners Cross are lovely areas, safe as well.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zico ! wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Ballyphehane hasn't been rough in about 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Cork is, for the most part, much much safer than Dublin.

You will find scumbag behaviour around Ballyphehane, and general Togher area, but you will be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

If you've decided on the South side and it needs to be within walking distance, then you can probably ignore anything on the South-West side of the city. Anything around College Rd / Magazine Rd and that area (near UCC) are in very high demand. Anything near the Lough is very nice, but is probably too near UCC to be cheap. You could maybe try around Evergreen Rd / Friar's Walk, some nice old properties in that area.

I'd agree, there aren't any really bad areas to live around the city centre. Probably the most dangerous place in the city is the centre at 2-3am on the weekend; same is probably true of any Irish city!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Zico !

Ballyphehane hasn't been rough in about 30 years.

Really I dont think so -its a sh1thole

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Care to elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Zico ! wrote:

That you Donald :-)

Loads of people not from the immediate area think Ballyphehane and togher are sh1tholes.

Snobbery as lots of the housing was local authority built? Who knows.

Great areas IMO but Ballyphehane in particular has very decent housing ....... 99.99% of the locals are wonderful folk too who'd never see a friend or often a stranger stuck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Augeo wrote: »
    Loads of people not from the immediate area think Ballyphehane and togher are sh1tholes.

Snobbery as lots of the housing was local authority built? Who knows.

Great areas IMO but Ballyphehane in particular has very decent housing ....... 99.99% of the locals are wonderful folk too who'd never see a friend or often a stranger stuck.

Couldn't agree more. Grew up in Ballyphehane well over 40 years ago. It was rough enough at times but the last 30 years or so has been fierce quiet as the age profile got a lot older. It's a nice place to live, close to the city, ucc, the link road etc.

Anyone thinking otherwise is really talking out their hole as they very clearly have never lived there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Sonics2k wrote: »
    You will find scumbag behaviour around Ballyphehane.

The last time I heard of such behaviour was when that lady was tragically killed in December 1998.

In the near 20 years since,nothing to deem it as you describe.

My niece is a teenager in Ballyphehane, her mother grew up there also, and they agree the 98 tragedy at the traffic lights was the last serious scum bag issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The last time I heard of such behaviour was when that lady was tragically killed in December 1998.

In the near 20 years since,nothing to deem it as you describe.

My niece is a teenager in Ballyphehane, her mother grew up there also, and they agree the 98 tragedy at the traffic lights was the last serious scum bag issue.

Well, I lived on Clashduv Road along the border of Togher and Ballyphehane, and within the last 8 years, and lived there for 5 years.

There is scumbag behaviour around there, but as I said "you will be safe".

There's no point getting odd about it, there are scumbags in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Never remember this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Togher here, it is a tiny bit rough alright but it is sooo close to everything. I live about 30 seconds from the 214/219 bus stop, so convenient. South Ring near by, walking distance to UCC/CUH/Wilton/Musgrave Park/Stiofain Naofa etc etc.

I lived next to harbour view road for about 15 years so togher is a step up for me :)

• Advertisement

JMNolan wrote: »
    I lived next to harbour view road for about 15 years so togher is a step up for me :)

I'm up here just as long, Harbour View Road is slowly being demolished now though.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Well, I lived on Clashduv Road along the border of Togher and Ballyphehane, and within the last 8 years, and lived there for 5 years.

There is scumbag behaviour around there, but as I said "you will be safe".

There's no point getting odd about it, there are scumbags in the area.

You'll always get a certain number of them in every area, even the posh places have some, Montenotte is my example, had a car window broken up there in 2009 by stone throwing youths, now some will say that they aren't resident there and perhaps they are perhaps they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A lot of this 'scumbag' behaviour in suburbs/outlying areas is, by and large, infrequent and usually low-level stuff.

The city centre has it all though; drinking/fighting/pissing/puking/****ting in doorways/shooting up, mainly on two nights of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Bringing up isolated incident 20 years ago to pursue an argument, don’t think its relevant. Ballyphehane and Togher are two areas that have changed enormously and Ballyphehane is a great area to live in.
    Go through any of the crime statistics for Ireland (when they used to publish them)and compare Cork to other cities and on a per head basis we have some of the lowest rates of urban crime in Ireland.
    The so called rough suburbs in Cork are mild in comparison to other places.

rebs23 wrote: »
    Bringing up isolated incident 20 years ago to pursue an argument, don’t think its relevant. Ballyphehane and Togher are two areas that have changed enormously and Ballyphehane is a great area to live in.
    Go through any of the crime statistics for Ireland (when they used to publish them)and compare Cork to other cities and on a per head basis we have some of the lowest rates of urban crime in Ireland.
    The so called rough suburbs in Cork are mild in comparison to other places.
    I’m saying there’s nothing as high level as that since.

Ballyphehane was always a place I would’ve liked to have lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Deerpark - very nice quiet cul-de-sac estate of a couple of hundred houses with 2 big greens and lots of trees. Pretty expensive now. Its slightly closer to the centre than Togher or Ballyphehane only 10 minutes. Needs a shop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Here, wasn't that tragic incident 20 years ago caused by joyriders not from the area? They zoomed past me outside Henry's, nearly knocked the whole crowd down. Or maybe I'm remembering a different incident.

Douglas Street, South Terrace, nice and close to the city centre. Rents would be higher I assume.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Think that was the one where a woman was knocked down and killed by the traffic light junction by the Harp Bar, car never stopped and wasn't found if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Think that was the one where a woman was knocked down and killed by the traffic light junction by the Harp Bar, car never stopped and wasn't found if I remember correctly.

Ah, different case so. I think some of the lads handed themselves in after. Still a scumbag thing to do though. They were a couple walking home, on their anniversary night I think and boom! Dead. Tragic.

Advertisement