Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 9 | News | Rumours | Castings

Options
  • 15-01-2018 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

The Walking Dead will return for season 9 later on this year with a brand new showrunner, it's been confirmed.
    Scott Gimple's controversial tenure as the AMC series' boss will draw to a close following a promotion that will see him oversee the entire franchise as the confirmed crossover with spinoff series Fear the Walking Dead takes effect.

Angela Kang, who has been working as a writer and co-executive producer on the post-apocalyptic drama since 2011, will step into the role from the season one premiere which is expected to premiere October 2018. Fans will recognise Kang's name as the writer of acclaimed episodes 'Coda' and 'Still.'

Charlie Collier, president of AMC, said: “This is an enormously important day for the entire The Walking Dead television universe. We are proud to acknowledge Angela’s significant contribution to the series and to set a clear path forward for a ninth season under her direction. Further, with gratitude and admiration, we also recognise Scott’s broad impact on, and leadership of, the content that fuels our TWD universe.

“Together, we will dream bigger and more broadly than ever before. I know I speak for Angela, Scott and everyone at AMC when I say thanks most of all to the fans and the many talented people who have helped AMC play Dead.”

Speaking about her appointment, Kang said; “I am beyond thrilled to be stepping into this new role with The Walking Dead. Working on this series and having the opportunity to adapt Robert Kirkman’s amazing comic has been a fangirl dream come true for me. I’m excited to continue working with Scott and the wonderfully supportive folks at AMC, and can’t wait to share the next chapter of the story with our fans next fall.”

Kang will be the series' fourth showrunner following Frank Darabont, Glen Mazzara and Gimple.

Fans have been calling for Gimple's departure following a run of seasons that many have deemed the weakest to date, capped with a twist deployed in the midseason 8 finale which saw the shock death of an original character - something that comic book creator Robert Kirkman has since praised.

Gimple's role, however, remains hugely important following the news that Lennie James' character Morgan was to depart the main show - which he has appeared on since its debut season in 2010 - for Fear the Walking Dead alongside cast members Kim Dickens, Colman Domingo and Frank Dillane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Potentially good news. Hopefully it's the Dilbert Principle in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

The Walking Dead star Lauren Cohan rumoured to be considering exit after 'rejecting pay offers
    Is it goodbye for Maggie?

Rumours surrounding the future of Lauren Cohan on The Walking Dead continue.

The AMC drama has already lost a major character in Carl Grimes, after showrunner Scott Gimple made the creative decision to kill him off, but the possibility that Maggie will be written out as well is still there.

Cohan's contract is up at the end of the season and is in negotiations with AMC to sign a new deal. While it was previously reported that there was no indication that the actress wanted to leave, now it seems like she is seriously considering her options after being purported to be looking at a number of pilot offers.

The Hollywood Reporter is claiming that Cohan is apparently not satisfied with the salary offers put forward by the network.

The publication writes: "Although Cohan is not seeking salary parity with male leads Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus, her camp and AMC have been engaged in a months-long negotiation that remains far apart."

The report continues by suggesting that the actress is "actively looking for her next job".

Whether Cohan stays or goes, the show will see a massive shake-up anyway. Gimple is handing over the reins as Angela Kang becomes the first female showrunner of the AMC drama for the start of season nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lauren Cohan joins the Bill Lawrence produced ABC action dramedy pilot Whiskey Cavalier opposite Scott Foley

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

rumours flying around tonight
    Andrew Lincoln last season is 9

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Unearthly wrote: »
    Seemingly the same for Maggie. Only likely to appear in 6 episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Time to wrap it up based on the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Unearthly wrote: »
    Penn wrote: »
    Seemingly the same for Maggie. Only likely to appear in 6 episodes.

Finally it's time for Heath to step up and become the lead character.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Time to wrap it up based on the above!

They should but you know they will try to carry on without him for a season or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No interest when and if he goes! He is the show they should end it after next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

That'll be me out so, No interested in anyone else left bar maybe Neegan but they ruined him anyway

I firmly blame Scott Gimple for this and AMC for tightening the budget

• Advertisement

That'll be me out so, No interested in anyone else left bar maybe Neegan but they ruined him anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Ouch, two big losses there. I think the actors know it and we know it, the show is dying/dead.

Imagine the show will limp to season ten at the least. Then have that fool Gimple claim it was the intended course of action all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Was really annoyed that an annoying DJ on 2fm just randomly announced this news yesterday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Wonder if JDM would be willing to take centre stage.

Either way....if the rumour is true, the show is officially redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i bet they dont even give us a conclusion or decent ending and the show just trails off after 8 years. What a train wreck this show turned into. I feel sorry for the new show runner she's got one hell of a mess on her hands.

Wonder if JDM would be willing to take centre stage.

Either way....if the rumour is true, the show is officially redundant.

Nah Neegan doesn't work without Rick , even the shockingly **** version the TV show gave us and he also doesn't work without Carl so yeah in short **** gimp and AMC

Up to now I was still a loyal watcher despite all the mental changes they've made through the show

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Andrew Lincoln has confirmed that he his offically leaving after Season 9

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This show has been on its last legs for a few years now. Creaky dragged out storytelling, truly puzzling pacing, the pretension laid on with a trowel way too often and repetition of themes with no real arc. The actors involved must see the writing on the wall, especially over the last two seasons. Even something like the staple character of the comics like Coral being dropped must have had the cast thinking WTF. TBH I'm surprised more haven't decided to cash in on their profile and jump before now. When it loses the Maggie and Rick characters it's game over. Too much audience connection has been built up with Rick especially. It's been pretty much the Rick Show with Zombies, his and his family's story and has been from day one. For me anyway the franchise will only survive on the FTWD show. If they don't screw that up and while it has its issues, so far the quality there has been going up while the main show's been going down.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

They can move a new actor in for rick.

• Advertisement

Cannot see that happening.

I'm bailing if Ashton Kutcher shows up in the Walking dead. (Seemingly his sister has been in it before).

As long as we don't get a Bobby Ewing shower scene ending either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i read some where online he plans on releasing a tell all book about the behind the scenes drama wooo awwww.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

The final nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Time to put the main show out of its misery at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Season 9 trailer;

https://twitter.com/rickandthangs/status/1020391244239736832?s=21
    “This will be my last season playing the part of Rick Grimes. I love this show. It means everything to me. I love the people who make this show. I’m particularly fond of the people who watch this show.” - Andrew Lincoln #TWD #SDCC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I've checked completely out of the TWD world since the finale, only today did I learn that Andy is leaving. That is pretty much it for me, once he goes it can die. Saddened by the news but not shocked really, he has been carrying the show a long time and surely has to turn down more lucrative offers.

Hopefully they just wrap it up, probably drag it for another season after he goes but its simply not TWD without him. Its his story and if he is finished thats the end to the story.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

NUTZZ wrote: »

Wow the last scene opens up a huge story will tune in to see what they do with that..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Surely they won't recast Rick? Or would they? No more Rick would be a big departure from the source material it's been loosely based on thus far.

Advertisement