Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling and THAT Late Late Show segment

Options
  • 13-01-2018 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

*Mods if a new thread is not needed from the 'Journo' thread then please remove.*

After seeing the clip from TLLS last night I am disgusted that the cyclist was ,yet again, subject to hate and the comparison of cyclist to farm animals with the audience encouraged to share the hate

https://www.facebook.com/dublincycling/videos/10159821496455052/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was watching it last night and I think, in fairness to Derrane, she was referring to cyclists 3 and 4 abreast rather than 2 abreast. However this is usually what some drivers perceive from their angle of vision rather than reality. She referred to 'country roads'. What 'country roads' physically allow 4 abreast?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

koutoubia wrote: »
    *Mods if a new thread is not needed from the 'Journo' thread then please remove.*

After seeing the clip from TLLS last night I am disgusted that the cyclist was ,yet again, subject to hate and the comparison of cyclist to farm animals with the audience encouraged to share the hate

I'm a cyclist and can't stand the arrogant feckers that cycle three of four abreast either, though I don't often see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have been keeping an eye out for cyclists cycling three or more abreast for the last five years - while cycling and while driving - and i have seen it on one occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Plastik

I cycle 15,000-20,000km per year, and drive a similar distance. I don't think I have ever seen cyclists "three or four abreast" other than in an official race, or at a sportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,421 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’m still trying to figure out how do differinate an arrogant cyclist from a humble one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

koutoubia wrote: »

That was appalling. What is this breed of “arrogant cyclist” and is the test for same trying to run ‘all’ cyclists into the ditch to identify same?

For cringe value it’s up there with the Garda Poll of which illegal act is worse.
    Can’t believe a substantial amount of licence fee money is going towards a programme that showed such bias just for entertainment purposes.

For balance they should have a piece on dangerous, inconsiderate and arrogant motorists that believe the rules of the road don’t apply to them and the carnage and stress they inflict on law abiding road users, including cyclists. As they are a far more pervasive breed, they would need a private land fill site to dump them, not a household bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭koutoubia

vicwatson wrote: »
    I'm a cyclist and can't stand the arrogant feckers that cycle three of four abreast either, though I don't often see it.

Very very very rarely have i seen more then 2 abreast.
    The odd sportive maybe.

I saw a cycling club going 3 abreast in around Ongar road just recently. It was early and very light traffic, though.

I can't see the big deal. If she had been complaining about motorists who hog the fast lane on the M50, would ALL motorists be up in arms over it? Why do cyclists in general need to be offended by someone saying they don't like what they view as arrogant cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,421 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Basil3 wrote: »
    I saw a cycling club going 3 abreast in around Ongar road just recently. It was early and very light traffic, though.

I can't see the big deal. If she had been complaining about motorists who hog the fast lane on the M50, would ALL motorists be up in arms over it? Why do cyclists in general need to be offended by someone saying they don't like what they view as arrogant cyclists?
    It encourages a pack mentality and thus increases the risk posed to cyclists.

.. the fast lane ....
    Oh dear!

• Advertisement

Oh dear!

Problem?

Problem?
    If you have to ask......

If you have to ask......

I do....

I do....
    Those who refer to the overtaking lane on a motorway as 'the fast lane' are arguably a bigger problem than those who hog it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I do....

Off to the motors forum with you and call it the fast lane, you won’t be long getting educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Tubridy definitely referred to cyclists being two abreast as being an issue. It became a free for all slag cyclists segment. It was really unpleasant to watch.

Those who refer to the overtaking lane on a motorway as 'the fast lane' are arguably a bigger problem than those who hog it.

I know exactly what you meant, I just wanted you to clarify that you're having to resort to picking on the semantics of what I said that someone could have theoretically said.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I was watching it last night and I think, in fairness to Derrane, she was referring to cyclists 3 and 4 abreast rather than 2 abreast. However this is usually what some drivers perceive from their angle of vision rather than reality. She referred to 'country roads'. What 'country roads' physically allow 4 abreast?

I've seen 3 & 4 abreast on country roads. 3 & 4 abreast is illegal on all roads so the country roads part of her statement is irrelevant. You'll see it on howth Hill every weekend.

I watched the clip and I totally get what she was saying. She even stressed that she wasn't talking about all cyclists, she was talking about arrogant cyclists. She was talking about an illegal act and I don't think she said anything wrong. The other fool beside her made the farm animal comparison. I thought she was making a valid point & was doing quite well till the other guy tried to help her make her point.

I'm not having a pop at all cyclists. I see bad cyclists, pedestrians and drivers every day. We just happen to be talking about cycling here.

koutoubia wrote:
    Very very very rarely have i seen more then 2 abreast. The odd sportive maybe.

I've seen what I assumed to be a cycling club on a Saturday morning with some in the group more than 2 abreast. 3 to 3 & a half abreast if that makes sense. I'm struggling to remember where it was & I'm thinking somewhere between Balbriggan and Drogheda. I'd rarely work as far as Drogheda so south of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I watched the clip and I totally get what she was saying. She even stressed that she wasn't talking about all cyclists, she was talking about arrogant cyclists. She was talking about an illegal act and I don't think she said anything wrong.

I haven't see this Late Late Show, so I won't comment on what she said directly. However, picking on outgroups usually involves making out that the ones who stand up for themselves are militant, arrogant, uppity, whatever. It's not full-on hatred but it's a special subset of "othering" people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I haven't see this Late Late Show, so I won't comment on what she said directly. However, picking on outgroups usually involves making out that the ones who stand up for themselves are militant, arrogant, uppity, whatever. It's not full-on hatred but it's a special subset of "othering" people.

There's a link in the first post. Nothing that unusual or shocking really, which is probably a bad sign of my cynicism. I thought the Late Late was a bit more high brow, but it's been since I've watched it (Toy Show excluded, of course).

The weirdest comment was from the white-haired gent who said he gave someone with a cargo bike a wide berth because he thought there was a baby in the front. Turned out it there was no baby. Implied is that if there's no baby, a cyclist does not deserve a wide berth?

tomasrojo wrote:

There is a Facebook link on post one. That's all I have seen myself.

I hate the whole cyclists vs motorists. I just wish that the law was enforced for all road users and pedestrians. I see drivers texting, pedestrians texting and cyclists texting. Optically the cyclists look worse as you can see they have no hands on the handlebars but I'm sure driving while texting is as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I watched the clip and I totally get what she was saying. She even stressed that she wasn't talking about all cyclists, she was talking about arrogant cyclists. She was talking about an illegal act and I don't think she said anything wrong. The other fool beside her made the farm animal comparison. I thought she was making a valid point & was doing quite well till the other guy tried to help her make her point.

I am not having s pop at you, but define an ‘arrogant’ cyclist, and is it right that a motorist thinks it’s ok to impose their will on any road user, particularly one more vulnerable than they are?

What is inherently more dangerous - arrogance driving or stupid cycling?

I have seen lots of both and there is no defence for either. However, arrogance behind the wheel of a motor vehicle is far more dangerous, and prevalent.

Why don’t the LLS do a balanced piece ?

I do agree the guys comments did not help. The standard rule of “if you have nothing say, say nothing” should have been used there.

The other guy had no clue either. I thought he looked very uncomfortable about the conversation. Then he made the pointless cargo bike comment. Does he not understand that the use is defined by the type of bike. Nothing odd about cargo in a cargo bike- be it kids or a bit of 4 x 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Oh yeah, I could find the clip, but I'm at the last of my monthly download allowance, so not doing any AV stuff just right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I saw a cycling club going 3 abreast in around Ongar road just recently.
    letape wrote: »
    Tubridy definitely referred to cyclists being two abreast as being an issue. It became a free for all slag cyclists segment. It was really unpleasant to watch.
    I've seen what I assumed to be a cycling club on a Saturday morning with some in the group more than 2 abreast. 3 to 3 & a half abreast if that makes sense.
    I think the main problem is an inability to count.
    Some people see "more than one" abreast and in their mind it becomes 3, 3 and half or even 4.
    Ask them how many cyclists are legally allowed abreast, and they have no idea about that either. They just carry on with the rant.

Kaisr Sose wrote:
    I am not having s pop at you, but define an ‘arrogant’ cyclist, and is it right that a motorist thinks it’s ok to impose their will on any road user, particularly one more vulnerable than they are?

She said that cyclists going 3 or 4 abreast are arrogant cyclists. I'm not name calling but personally I'd agree that cycling 3 or 4 abreast is arrogant the same as I'd say a motorist hogging 2 lanes in an arrogant motorist.

She was only talking about cycling 3 or 4 abreast being arrogant cyclists. I didn't hear her call any other cyclists arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just watched the clip and what annoyed me that she was annoyed that she had been held up by this cyclists. And that to me seem the main problem car drivers seem to think that the main problem is that they are somehow been delayed when really its the car traffic as they hit the next bottleneck that delays them , the 30 seconds delay to safely pass a cyclist is what morons like derrane focus on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

She was only talking about cycling 3 or 4 abreast being arrogant cyclists. I didn't hear her call any other cyclists arrogant.
    You'd think that if this was such a problem, that you'd see plenty of photographic or video evidence. So many motorists have dashcams now.

Just watched the clip and what annoyed me that she was annoyed that she had been held up by this cyclists. And that to me seem the main problem car drivers seem to think that the main problem is that they are somehow been delayed when really its the car traffic as they hit the next bottleneck that delays them , the 30 seconds delay to safely pass a cyclist is what morons like derrane focus on.

But she was annoyed at being held up by cyclists cycling illegally. She wasn't annoyed with cyclists cycling in a legal manner. I'd be annoyed myself. Not at all cyclists just the ones breaking the law.

Cyclists are annoyed at parked cars in cycle lanes & they are right to be annoyed. A motorist is quite right to be annoyed at cycling 3 or 4 abreast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You'd think that if this was such a problem, that you'd see plenty of photographic or video evidence. So many motorists have dashcams now.

Apart from kids in housing estates I can’t think of one time I’ve cyclists cycling more than 2 abreast except where 1 is passing 2.

Advertisement