Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

yep, loving the suede doc!
    got the now tv free trial especially to watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Watching this Lennon film on 4seven.

I don't believe Yoko broke up The Beatles - they were well able to do that themselves - but, Jesus, she was annoying with her nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,286 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just watched the Suede documentary - absolutely superb :)

Strange to see Neil Codling all grown up, I’d like to think of him as he was back in ‘96...elfin, cheekbones, making no attempt to play the keyboard.

Just like fans of Bettie Page who refused to see what she looked like in later years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Watching this Lennon film on 4seven.

I don't believe Yoko broke up The Beatles - they were well able to do that themselves - but, Jesus, she was annoying with her nonsense.

annoying to you and others, but not to John

don't forget it was her influence that gave him the inspiration for imagine > the song itself and the album

so credit where credit's due

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

fryup wrote: »
    annoying to you and others, but not to John

don't forget it was her influence that gave him the inspiration for imagine > the song itself and the album

so credit where credit's due

She got him into heroin then it all went downhill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

no she didn't.....

...downhill?? his best albums came out in that so called "heroin period" > plastic ono band & imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Just watched the Suede documentary - absolutely superb :)

Strange to see Neil Codling all grown up, I’d like to think of him as he was back in ‘96...elfin, cheekbones, making no attempt to play the keyboard.

Just like fans of Bettie Page who refused to see what she looked like in later years :D

The only bit that irritated me was when they covered Bernard Butler's departure ... Bernard himself has admitted he made mistakes around that time but it felt like they were queuing up to take a swing at him.

Richard Osman said something like he wasn't bothered at the time as it was always Mat (his brother) and Brett's band and they could get another guitarist. Might have been out of context but it was an ungracious and needlessly bitter comment about Bernard, who played an enormous part in creating the Suede sound. They were never as good before he joined or after he left.

Apart from that, very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

fryup wrote: »
    no she didn't.....

...downhill?? his best albums came out in that so called "heroin period" > plastic ono band & imagine

Yes heroin is known to be very inspirational, just ask Damon Albarn. It doesn't mean you have your sh1t together. You drift into a state of wanting to be on your own. He was never going to work with the Beatles again

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Plastic Ono Band is a criminally underrated album.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Hi there, there's new shows talking about The Proclaimers and Stevie Wonder on BBC Four while Sky Arts are going large on the Christmas Specials already. The Johnny Cash one listed below has a cracking line up, the rest of the Million Dollar Quartet coming together to remember Elvis who 'died' earlier that year. Any amount of old reliable repeats on offer, as always ...

Thursday
    7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1986 - October 16 (BBC4)
    Simon Bates and Steve Wright present the pop chart programme, first broadcast on October 16. Featuring performances by Pet Shop Boys, Cliff Richard and Sarah Brightman, Boris Gardiner, Marti Webb, Paul Hardcastle, Nick Berry and Status Quo

10pm Sounds New - BBC Arts NI Presents (BBC2 NI) New!
    Stephen McCauley presents this show providing a platform for emerging homegrown musical talent, featuring performances by Belfast/London alt-rock duo Rews, Castlerock indie pop band Brand New Friend and Belfast art rockers Robocobra Quartet

Midnight Rod Stewart - Merry Christmas Everybody (Sky Arts)
    2012 Christmas Concert

12.30am Tunes For Tyrants: Music & Power with Suzy Klein (BBC4)
    Ep 3/3 World War II Suzy Klein explores the use, abuse and manipulation of music in the Second World War - from swinging jazz to film soundtracks and from mushy ballads to madcap ballets. The war, she demonstrates, wasn't just a military fight but an ideological battle where both sides used music as a weapon to secure their vision for civilization. Last in the series

1.15am Frank Sinatra - A Man and His Music (Sky Arts)
    1967 TV Special with Ella Fitzgerald and Antonio Carlos Jobim

Friday
    3.30pm Andy Williams - Happy Holidays (Sky Arts)
    TV Specials compliation

4.45pm Rod Stewart - Merry Christmas Everybody (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1986 - October 23 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies presents the pop chart programme, first broadcast on October 23. Featuring performances by the Pretenders, Midnight Star, the Housemartins, Billy Idol, Cyndi Lauper, Nick Berry and the Bangles

8pm & 2.30am The Live Lounge Show (BBC4)
    Featuring George Ezra, Christine and the Queens, Halsey, Zara Larsson, Jax Jones and Lewis Capaldi

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - David Bowie (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Music Icons - Jefferson Airplane (Sky Arts)

9pm The Proclaimers - This Is The Story (BBC4) New!
    Superfan David Tennant meets Craig and Charlie Reid of Scottish band the Proclaimers, as they discuss the 30 years since their debut album, and a career that has taken them from playing in small pubs and clubs around Scotland to become one of the nation's most iconic bands. This is a BBC Scotland show getting it's first airing on BBC4

10pm Suede - The Insatiable Ones (Sky Arts)
    Another chance to see last Saturday's big new Suede Doc.
    "absolutely superb" and "very enjoyable" according to some of the critics.

10pm A Musical History - Stevie Wonder (BBC4) New!
    Some well-known fans celebrate Stevie Wonder and his music by selecting some of his best-loved songs. Contributors include actor Martin Freeman, singers Alexander O'Neal, James Morrison, Beverley Knight and Corinne Bailey Rae, New Order's Gillian Gilbert and Stephen Morris, DJs Ana Matronic, Trevor Nelson and Norman Jay, Heaven's 17's Glenn Gregory and Martyn Ware, journalist Sian Pattenden and presenter Emma Dabiri

11pm Sharon Osbourne presents Rock and Roll's Dodgiest Deals (BBC4)
    The music manager, modern impressario and promoter reflects on rock 'n' roll deals through the decades, from Little Richard's half a cent a record for Tutti Frutti to Robbie Williams' £80million advance. Sharon recounts the story of notorious bad deals for the Beatles, Animals and Small Faces and uncovers the secrets to great artist deals, including Led Zeppelin's live deal, the Police's DIY deal and Moby's millions earned from licensing tunes for advertisements.

11.05pm BBC Radio 2 In Concert - Cliff Richard (BBC2 NI)

12.15am Blur/Oasis: The Britpop Years (Sky Arts)
    The battle between the two bands for dominance in the era, focusing on when Blur's single Country House went up against Oasis's Roll With It for the number one spot in the charts

12.30am Sings The Beatles (BBC4)
    A look back through the BBC's archives at memorable covers of classic Beatles songs. Included are a performance of Day Tripper by Sandie Shaw, Shirley Bassey's version of Something, the Carpenters' rendition of Help!, Oasis's reinvention of I Am the Walrus, and Joe Cocker's chart-topping interpretation of With a Little Help from My Friends. Plus, Paul McCartney's solo performance of Lady Madonna

1.30am Rollermania - Britain's Biggest Boy Band (BBC4)
    Members of the classic Bay City Rollers line-up, including Les McKeown, recall how they went from humble beginnings playing pubs and clubs across Scotland to achieving pop stardom in the 1970s. They also reveal the dark side that dogged the band behind the scenes, including their relationship with manager Tam Paxton, bankruptcy, legal battles and division between the band members. Featuring rarely seen archive footage from the era, plus contributions from the band's songwriters, producers and record company promoters (I thought this was very good)

1.30am Pulp Live (Sky Arts)
    Brixton Academy 1995

2.30am Mumford & Sons - We Wrote This Yesterday (Sky Arts)
    2016 Road Trip Doc

3.05am The Great Songwriters - Noel Gallagher (Channel 4)
    Noel Gallagher Described by Sir George Martin as `the finest songwriter of his generation', Noel Gallagher was the main songwriter in Oasis and now fronts Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. He has sold more than 100 million records. Here he performs Don't Look Back in Anger, Holy Mountain, It's a Beautiful World and What a Life!

Saturday
    12pm & Midnight Happy Holidays with Bing and Frank (Sky Arts)
    Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra 1957 Christmas Special

2pm Mumford & Sons Live From South Africa (Sky Arts)
    2016 Concert

3.40pm TOTP2 Christmas 2012 (GOLD)

8pm CMA Country Christmas (Sky Arts)
    Reba McEntire hosts the festive special from Nashville's Grand Ole Opry House, with stars including Lady Antebellum, Trisha Yearwood, Chris Young, Dustin Lynch and Alan Jackson

9pm TOTP2 Disco (Yesterday)

9.45pm Johnny Cash 1977 Christmas Special - with Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis (Sky Arts)
    The country star and his family are joined by three of the biggest names from the original era of rock & roll - Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins - for a Christmas concert featuring a tribute to Elvis Presley, who died earlier that year. Songs include This Ole House, Blue Christmas, Blue Suede Shoes, Big River and This Train Is Bound for Glory. There are lots of other Johny Cash Specials on Youtube if you like this

10.25pm Sisters In Country - Dolly, Linda and Emmy Lou (BBC4)
    How Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris's careers took off in the 1970s with very distinct takes on country music, before they came together to collaborate on a successful album in 1987.

10.45pm Andy Williams - Happy Holidays (Sky Arts)

11pm Na Baileid (TG4)
    Part one of two. John Spillane presents a compilation of performances of ballads from the series

11.25pm REM at the BBC (BBC4)
    A selection of archive performances from throughout the band's career, originally recorded for BBC programmes including The Old Grey Whistle Test, Top of the Pops, Parkinson, The Late Show and Later with Jools Holland

12.25am Top Of The Pops 1986 - October 16 (BBC4)
    As Thursday

12.30am The Legendary Bing Crosby (Sky Arts)
    Collection of some of Bing Crosby's most memorable performances, including his collaboration with David Bowie on The Little Drummer Boy in 1982. There are also performances with Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin

1am Top Of The Pops 1986 - October 23 (BBC4)
    As Friday

1.50am Sinatra and Friends (Sky Arts)
    A TV special from 1977, with John Denver, Natalie Cole, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Loretta Lynn, Leslie Uggams and Robert Merrill joining the singer

Sunday
    11.45am The Three Tenors Christmas Concert (1999) (Sky Arts)

1.30pm Alexander Armstrong: In A Winter Light (Sky Arts)

Your man from Pointless in Concert

2.30pm The Legendary Bing Crosby (Sky Arts)
    As Saturday

3.45pm Andy Williams: Happy Holidays (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

8.30pm Pat Shortt's Music From D'Telly (RTE1)
    Featuring an appearance by singer-songwriter duo Cook and Greenaway on a 2004 episode of Coulter and Company, and a 1970s report on the Tulla Ceile band phenomenon

9pm Gwen Stefani's You Make It Feel Like Christmas (Sky Arts)
    Sky Arts are basically flinging out every Christmas Special on their shelves now

9.30pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    Featuring Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer, The Glackins, Deirdre Hurley, Jacqui Martin, Gay McKeon and Conor Connolly.

10pm When Patsy Cline Was Crazy (Sky Arts)
    Rosanne Cash narrates a documentary about the life, career and legacy of the American country music singer, with contributions by LeAnn Rimes, Kacey Musgraves and Reba McEntire

10.30pm Bosca Ceoil (TG4)
    Four Men and a Dog take to the main stage, and the line-up also includes Reel It In, the trio of Joanie Madden, John Joe Kelly and Seamie O'Dowd, Keeva with DaoirI Farrell and Dermot Byrne and Florianne Blancke

11pm Willie Nelson & Friends: Outlaws And Angels (Sky Arts)
    Artists including Bob Dylan, Carole King, Al Green, Keith Richards, Jerry Lee Lewis, Toby Keith, Ben Harper and Kid Rock celebrate the country music star's career

I suspect Sky Arts might repeat those Christmas Specials a few dozen times before the end of December

The schedulers must have decided this is Nick Berry Week, he's on TOTP twice performing Every Loser Wins while Drama Channel are showing ancient repeats of Eastenders which this week see him performing the same song repeatedly in the Queen Vic.

Thursday at 12.40pm sees "The day starts romantically with Lofty and Michelle listening to the tape they've made of Wicksy's "Every Loser Wins"." And sure why wouldn't you, when he can bang out tunes like this?

Nick also sings Heartbeat, the theme to Heartbeat which is on ITV3 every day. He was the original star of Heartbeat although I think he had been killed off by the time of those repeats.

• Advertisement

‘Suburbia’ by Pet Shop Boys - classic :)

One of the greatest British bands of all time - there, I said it!

My god :(

Roll on 1987!

My body is waiting to be jacked :D

Good song by Paul Hardcastle.

They should use this as a theme tune.

Good song by Paul Hardcastle.

They should use this as a theme tune.

Bates wittering on about every other song during the chart rundown, couldn't be arsed mentioning that The Wizard was the song being played at that very moment.

The miserable git probably didn't approve of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

‘Suburbia’ by Pet Shop Boys - classic :)

One of the greatest British bands of all time - there, I said it!

:eek:

giphy.gif

:P

Roll on 1987!

My body is waiting to be jacked :D

The day that went to No.1 is the day music died. Or, at least, started looking extremely poorly.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Screw you guys! :D

And ‘Being Boring’ is one of Axl Rose’s favourite songs (no, really!)...

After the PSB Los Angeles show in March, 1991, Axl Rose of Guns ‘N Roses came backstage and said the show was “gorgeous,” despite his favourite song of theirs, ‘Being Boring’, hasn’t been played. ‘The Pet Shop Boys versus America’ book gives us more insight:

They prepare to meet the gathering in the hospitality area. Outside—to the sound of Erasure, which is someone’s idea of suitable music for a Pet Shop Boys party—Neil And Chris walk straight into Axl Rose, who turns out to be unfailingly friendly and sweet. They had assumed that he couldn’t have known much about them, but the first thing he says is, “Gorgeous show—why didn’t you do ‘Being Boring’?”

He proceeds to rave about the show—“that was so cool, My October symphony, when they don’t ever sing”—and says that liking them is becoming a shared secret in his world. “I phoned up the singer of Nine Inch Nails and I said, ‘What’s that you’re listening to?’ and he said, ‘Oh, er, it’s the Pet Shop Boys.’” He tells me he plays ‘Behaviour’ in the car and his friends say, “What are you trying to make me like now...?” Then he tells me that there’s something in common between My October symphony and this song he’s struggling with in the studio at the moment, a song called ‘November Rain’. But his favourite song on Behaviour is ‘Being Boring’. “That bit about the seventies and the nineties. I can certainly relate to that, because I left home too...”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

The Bangles drummer is up the front shaking a tambourine and whistling, but the drum beat is still going. This has to be mimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

'Fight for Ourselves' isn't one of Spandau Ballet's finest moments imo, not a fan of shouty choruses. Then The Jesus & Mary Chain who loads of my mates were fans of. Always thought they were sh1te.

to the sound of Erasure, which is someone’s idea of suitable music

F**K that person who wrote that. F**k them in the ear. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    The Bangles drummer is up the front shaking a tambourine and whistling, but the drum beat is still going. This has to be mimed.
    No sh1t Sherlock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

M'Lud,
    the defendant in this case (a certain person of Welsh residency) has indeed proffered a reasonable explanation and a compelling defence. Therefore the prosecution moves to reduce the charges from 'gross misuse of the word greatest', to the lesser charge of a 'temporary lack of judgement'.

The prosecution would ask that his previous comments regarding bands, including Killing Joke, be taken into consideration and we ask that you apply the probation act.

The state rests.

Midnight Star - sponsored by Soul Glo.

The Housemartins, with Stan Cullimore on guitar.

Who could forget his last-minute goal for Liverpool against Newcastle in 1996?

I’ll see myself out.

"Cyndi, I think we might have overdone it with the Dry Ice ..."

"More Dry Ice! Dry Ice will never go out of fashion!"

She could have tripped over that bongo.

#toomuchdryice

Good lord :(

He is dreamy, though.

But enough about Gary Davies, Nick Berry is quite good looking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Good lord :(

You're been very polite there son. Very polite.

• Advertisement

Nick Berry released two Albums, both were called Nick Berry.

This is where his similarities to Led Zeppelin begin and end.

Advertisement