Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Shaun Ryder of the Happy Mondays and Black Grape, did voice acting in GTA San Andreas.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,105 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Didn’t know Ian Wright had such a good singing voice.

Oh wait, it’s Tricky.

‘Country House’ and ‘Roll With It’ - the worst records either band released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

I'm sure those brave enough to do the research would demonstrate even worse levels ;)

Leftfield and Tricky - bit of quality on the show.

Marguerita Time!

Is this the famous INCIDENT episode?

• Advertisement

I will step in to defend Status Quo. Bought a few of their early-mid 70's albums this year and I've been quite impressed.

1983. The year RUSH were between albums. Signals (1982) and Grace Under Pressure (1984). Both very good, but I like Grace Under Pressure for its darker feel.

Play Ozzy! 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Play Sunshine on Leith!

So tell me Welshie, do you bark at the moon? 😉

• Advertisement

Punk happened the year before, right?

Right?

Not on the BBC it didn't

Cue the Buzzcocks to back me up......

Doctor Who Goes Disco! 😲

Tony Bennett got a fairly prominent position in the those that left for heaven without warning collage. Still kicking myself I missed seeing him perform about five years ago as he caught the flu in Madrid and was unable to perform - understandable if you are in your 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,281 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bit of a random beebrock related one in the BBC2 schedules over Christmas - The Kemps: Yule Gold

In a sequel to 2020's The Kemps: All True, Rhys Thomas has been given unprecedented behind-the-scenes access to Gary and Martin Kemp's lives for a entire year, and what a momentous year it's been. Martin has published an explosive biography that has caused a rift between the brothers, and now his two wives Pepsi and Shirlie want a divorce, while Gary is writing music for a new ballet to put on in the performance venue he is building in the stables. Spoof documentary, starring Gary and Martin Kemp as themselves.

I missed the original one, any use?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Beatles at the BBC on bbc 2 at the minute. Good to see Beatlemania at the time and how awkward the lads seem to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,503 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A few good laughs in it, particularly when they ended up as Francis Rossi's backing band.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It looks like BBC sd channels will stop transmitting on 8th January on Sky and Freeview, I wonder if the hd channels will still be available on the firestick, after that date.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

In January every Friday night on BBC4 will be a TOTP marathon.

To mark 60 years this week since the first show was recorded in Manchester. Dusty Springfield was the opening act that day. 'I only want to be with you'

1995 TOTP returns in February

BBC better tread carefully when revisiting the birth of TOTP… 😮

Was great. Sound was down for the majority of it due to excellent albums being got during the week. Anniversary of Phil Lynott playing it's part but also Photek. Only time the volume went up and record stopped was for the Siouxsie type performance. Three more weeks of that will be sweet.

BBC 4 could just run these TOTP all nighters every Friday. Jobs a good un

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

BBC4 could also do more reruns of The Old Grey Whistle Test in a manner similar to the regular TOTP repeats, i.e. chronologically, rather than specific shows connected to particular themed Friday nights. I know that there are many TOGWT shows that I never saw at all, or in full. It could also have a few Annie Nightingale presented specials.

Helen O’Hara from Dexys on oboe for Tanita Tikaram there.

Her recent memoir is fantastic.

‘Theme From S-Express’, one of the greatest dance records ever made.

The jury rests, your honour.

• Advertisement

While the OGWT archives have some stone cold classic performances, no doubt.

They might be afraid that some of the Old Grey Whistle Test episodes have some awful self indulgent stuff, in particular prog rock.

Focus playing for 8 or 9 minutes might be too much even for a niche, cultured BBC4 audience.

Advertisement