Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black screen of death

Options
  • 13-01-2018 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

Has just happened my Xbox one . Was playing it one night , got up the next day, turned it on , no picture !!
    I have tried all the 'fixes' off the Microsoft website, and was on the MS live chat also , they just recommended sending it off to be repaired for $150 !!
    I bought a new hdmi cable and tried the 2 hdmi channels, but still no picture.
    Has this happened to anyone? Can you fix it or does it have to be sent away to be repaired ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,899 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

greenspurs wrote: »
    Has just happened my Xbox one . Was playing it one night , got up the next day, turned it on , no picture !!
    I have tried all the 'fixes' off the Microsoft website, and was on the MS live chat also , they just recommended sending it off to be repaired for $150 !!
    I bought a new hdmi cable and tried the 2 hdmi channels, but still no picture.
    Has this happened to anyone? Can you fix it or does it have to be sent away to be repaired ?

Xbox One, One S or One X? When and where was the console bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Is the TV ruled out i.e. have you something else that you can plug into the HDMIs on it to show that it is not the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Make sure you have it plugged into the mains, not a lead.
    Cousin did it last week, and he was not happy. I pointed it out to him.
    The look on his face... priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Xbox one, bought Dec 16.
    Yes, I tried it on another tv, no picture with either HDMI cable.
    Spent an hour on the "livechat" with microsoft, went through all the 'fixes' , but no good. Just said to send it to them and they will fix for $150........
    yes, they said to plug it into the mains and not use an extension/plug board.... I had mine in the plugboard, and I plugged it into the wall socket ... No Change... (Why does that matter?? )

Anyway....
    Still no Xbox, and a peeved off yung lad !!

Xbox one, bought Dec 16.
    Yes, I tried it on another tv, no picture with either HDMI cable.
    Spent an hour on the "livechat" with microsoft, went through all the 'fixes' , but no good. Just said to send it to them and they will fix for $150........
    yes, they said to plug it into the mains and not use an extension/plug board.... I had mine in the plugboard, and I plugged it into the wall socket ... No Change... (Why does that matter?? )

Anyway....
    Still no Xbox, and a peeved off yung lad !!

Where did you buy it? Do you still have the receipt?

• Advertisement

Santa brought it Dec 16 - out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Ah, so December 2016.

Still, €150 is pretty steep for a repair. Would go a long way to getting a new or even 2nd hand One S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Do you have PUBG installed? My One S did exactly the same thing on Friday, turn on and TV had a black screen, knew there was some signal though as the TV stopped displaying the "No Signal" error everytime I turned on the xbox. Went through the hold down power for 10 secs routine, etc etc. Noticed my external drive light was flashing so there was some activity. Eventually after multiple restarts it just worked.

Looks like PUBG was being played last time I turned it off, the game was downloading and installing a large update which was what was causing the blank screen and HD activity. Once it had finished installing every started and continues to run fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Did you try the console reset using a USB key:
    https://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-one/console/reset-factory-defaults-using-usb-flash-drive

Might be worth a shot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

I'd rather throw 20 quid towards the small claims court on the basis the console should last more than a year than 150 to MS.

• Advertisement

I'd try for the retailer with your consumer rights. You'd expect a console to last more than 14 months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'd try for the retailer with your consumer rights. You'd expect a console to last more than 14 months

I would aswell, I do think the Consumer Rights Act 2015 covers you for more than a year anyway.

emmetkenny wrote: »

I doubt i could find a receipt at this stage to prove when it was purchased. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Depending on the store you got it from, you could get a receipt from them.
    I did this with an almost 2-year old iPad. Went back to the Currys where I purchased it and they found the transaction and printed me another receipt. This works if they asked you for details when you purchased it, which most stores should do with expensive items like a console.

just looked it up,
    i bought it at Insomnia convention in Killarney in June 16.
    Gamestop had a stall there and i bought it off them.

just looked it up,
    i bought it at Insomnia convention in Killarney in June 16.
    Gamestop had a stall there and i bought it off them.

Gamestop will send you back to Microsoft. You have the console over a year, I cannot imagine Gamestop will be very helpful at all.

ZiabR wrote: »
    Gamestop will send you back to Microsoft. You have the console over a year, I cannot imagine Gamestop will be very helpful at all.

Yes I would think so also. In fairness it is 18mths.......

SO ......
    Has anyone sent back a console for repair ? ......:rolleyes:

Yes I would think so also. In fairness it is 18mths.......

SO ......
    Has anyone sent back a console for repair ? ......:rolleyes:

Yes I sent a number of 360s back. Back then they didnt even send you your one back. They just sent another one that they had repaired.

If I were you I would consider buying a One S second hand. You could pick one up for the same price as a repair from Microsoft.

Oh .....

Do you lose all saved games etc? Or is that all saved to your User account ?

Oh .....

Do you lose all saved games etc? Or is that all saved to your User account ?

If you are connected to the Internet then all of your save data and user date are stored on the Cloud. Once you login to your profile on a different console it will download your data.

You wont lose your saved games.

• Advertisement

ahh ok... thanks for that ..

I Have rang Gamestop after been talking to Consumer rights ..
    I'm trying to go about it the right way, as I wanna keep Gamestop onside as much as I can, so I will get my refund or replacement! No point starting arguments from the outset.

Talking to a guy 3 times so far today, taken details, and Is currently looking into it...

I Have rang Gamestop after been talking to Consumer rights ..
    I'm trying to go about it the right way, as I wanna keep Gamestop onside as much as I can, so I will get my refund or replacement! No point starting arguments from the outset.

Talking to a guy 3 times so far today, taken details, and Is currently looking into it...

Good, keep at them. They will hope to annoy you into submission or that you lose all appetite for a fight. Keep ringing until you get progress.

ZiabR wrote: »
    Good, keep at them. They will hope to annoy you into submission or that you lose all appetite for a fight. Keep ringing until you get progress.

Stubborn as F**k ... wont let it die without some sort of resolution in my favour.

They did say it was Microsofts problem, out of 12mth warranty etc....
    But once I rolled off some quotes about "acceptable life spans of products" and that they were the seller , its Gamestops problem, I started to get somewhere. :D

Just off the phone to Gamestop. According to the agent I was talking to, the "returns guy" said the problem is Microsofts, not Gamestop.
    I informed the agent that no, it isn't. Under consumer protection law the contract is with Gamestop and they have to deal with it.
    He then game me the line of "1 year + 1month" warranty ... I asked him was the reasonable life span of an Xbox 18 mths... and he said No. I said there you go.
    Asked for the name of the manager, so I can now send a letter of complaint.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Fair play to ya - Interested how this one turns out.

I'd say most people just buy new again and aren't aware of the exceptional consumer rights we actually have here.

Update -
    After my last conversation by phone (returns guy etc) , I asked for name of the manager and I sent him off a formal letter with all my consumer rights etc written out.
    I posted it at 16.00 on weds, and by 12 on Thursday , he rang me.
    Said they would take the console, and get their engineer (?) to take a look and sort it out.
    I dropped the console to my local Gamestop, and they would get it couriered to their HQ in Swords.

Update -
    After my last conversation by phone (returns guy etc) , I asked for name of the manager and I sent him off a formal letter with all my consumer rights etc written out.
    I posted it at 16.00 on weds, and by 12 on Thursday , he rang me.
    Said they would take the console, and get their engineer (?) to take a look and sort it out.
    I dropped the console to my local Gamestop, and they would get it couriered to their HQ in Swords.
    Have you given it over to Gamestop yet? Sweet jesus do not let an "engineer" take a look at it. Send it back to Microsoft and get a replacement.

Update -

I received a phone call from the Manager in Swords.

He told me that the chip is fried, so they will send me a refurbed XBox One 1tb, to replace my 500gb console. I have a 1 year warranty on the console.

I think that's a good outcome.

• Advertisement

Fair play for keeping at them. They would have loved for you to give up and just buy a new one.

Advertisement