Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airports you’ve used

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

SMH - isn't that the airport you can buy a horse at duty free?

That's the one sham.
    F**k your Boeing 737 I've a horse outside.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Most underwhelming for me was Ciampino airport south of Rome, the one Ryanair flies into. It actually looks derelict from the outside. I think its an old military airport.

Wa there in September. Went through security and into duty free. First airport iv come across that doesn't stock cigarettes in Duty Free. Had to get security to let me back out to departures area. Stocked up in WH Smiths wit a few cartons and back through all the security checks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

dennyire wrote: »
    Wa there in September. Went through security and into duty free. First airport iv come across that doesn't stock cigarettes in Duty Free. Had to get security to let me back out to departures area. Stocked up in WH Smiths wit a few cartons and back through all the security checks again

Does DUB? I thought they only sold Duty Free Cigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I don't know how many airports I have been to. But I have been to 28 different countries in the past 10 years for work according to their records.
    A lot of sh1thole airports and a few nice ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Does DUB? I thought they only sold Duty Free Cigs?

Yeah DUB has duty free cigs, Im talking about Ciampino Rome not having them

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Yeah but how many have you slept in?

DUB
    STN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

But which of these airports has the best smoking area would be the question I want answered, Dublin airport actually holds up pretty well in that regard as its not tiny, open air and you can take your pint out too it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

peasant wrote: »
    Nothing like landing at SXL

now imagine that on a typical day with blustery wind and rain (a frequent visitor would rather fly to DUB and drive than ever land there again...the wimp)

The old Kai Tak in Hong Kong was the definition of a buttock-clenching landing, the approach was barely above the roofs of apartment blocks, then a handbrake turn and drop onto the runway.

landing1.jpg?w=500&h=365

But which of these airports has the best smoking area would be the question I want answered, Dublin airport actually holds up pretty well in that regard as its not tiny, open air and you can take your pint out too it.

Manchester has one, but it's basically a random door behind one of the bars, brings you out to a sh1tty rooftop. Most of the uk airports are non-existant smoking areas (if anyone knows where there one in T2 in Heathrow, I'd be very grateful)

I think DUB wins, and I dont smoke!

• Advertisement

Manchester has one, but it's basically a random door behind one of the bars, brings you out to a sh1tty rooftop. Most of the uk airports are non-existant smoking areas (if anyone knows where there one in T2 in Heathrow, I'd be very grateful)

Smoking at Heathrow Airport (LHR)

Smoking Rating

Before and After Security Smoking

Smoking is only permitted in designated areas outside the terminals.

The smoking facilities inside the terminal are listed below.

Electronic Cigarettes are also prohibited.

Heathrow Terminal 1

No Smoking areas.

Heathrow Terminal 2

No Smoking areas.

Heathrow Terminal 3

Smoking at Heathrow airport T3, connecting flights. After you arrive by bus you go inside and turn left and left again. Follow the big yellow sign and you can smoke outside in a kind of fenced cage. Photo below, feedback from Laila B. on the 17th December 2017.

Passed through London Heathrow (LHR) in July 2017, transiting from terminal 3 to terminal 2. Was delighted to discover that there is now a smoking area in Terminal 3 for transit passengers. Follow the purple signs for transit to other terminals. The smoking area is at one side of the bus stop to the other terminals. It is a fenced outdoor cage but is better than the nothing that LHR offered within the security perimeter before. Feedback from Neil U.

Heathrow Terminal 4

October 2017, Heathrow Terminal 4 departures: The smoking area after security near gate 6-9 still exists, despite many sites claiming the contrary. Phew. Feedback from MJ.

Smoking area available. It is on the left side on the way to gate 6. Just 2 stairs down and that it. From Denis, 10th July 2017.

Update from Sara, 5th Oct 2016: Terminal 4 definitely has a smoking area. It is between gates 6B and 7 downstairs.

Heathrow Terminal 5

No Smoking areas.

Smoking at Heathrow Airport (LHR)

Smoking Rating

Before and After Security Smoking

Smoking is only permitted in designated areas outside the terminals.

Yeah, I didn't think there was (and it's not for the want of looking) it's T2 and T5 I'd be through the most there.

Yeah, I didn't think there was (and it's not for the want of looking) it's T2 and T5 I'd be through the most there.

I'm sure you've googled where to have a crafty fag

(As did I, and I dont mean smoking! twice DUB & LHR ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Ho Chi Minh
    Hanoi
    Kuala Lumpur
    Hong Kong
    Zurich
    Geneva
    Dublin
    Alicante
    Charles De Gaulle
    Madrid
    Santiago
    Arrecife
    Faro
    Palma
    Newquay
    Heathrow
    Stansted
    Luton
    Gatwick

I think that's it. Had to dig deep for a couple of trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The old Kai Tak in Hong Kong was the definition of a buttock-clenching landing, the approach was barely above the roofs of apartment blocks, then a handbrake turn and drop onto the runway.

landing1.jpg?w=500&h=365

I went to St Maarten in the Carribbean on vacation a few years ago, the airport there is right next to the beach:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

SKV
    HAM
    IBZ
    TUU
    TAK
    HLZ
    RYK
    EMA
    ABJ
    DLD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Zaph said:
    They do that all the time in the Aviation & Aircraft forum. Very off-putting for the casual reader like myself, I always get the feeling it's done deliberately to be exclusionary.

If they wanted to be exclusive, they would have used the ICAO codes rather than IATA, can you guess where EIDW or EGLL are?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Not going to list the airports, but my favourite is Doha.

The First & Business Lounge was top notch. Shower Rooms, great food, plenty of drink :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Manchester
    Birmingham
    Leeds/Bradford
    Paris
    Faro
    Palma
    Malaga
    Gran Canaria
    Tenerife
    Ibiza
    Menorca
    Valetta
    Orlando
    Larnaca

Seriously?

what a passive aggressive post. Just cos you have no interest doesn't mean others dont either. Or your thankers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Glasgow
    Edinburgh
    Prestwick
    Cork
    Galway
    Shannon
    Dublin
    Carrickfinn in Donegal
    Copenhagen
    Malmo
    Milan
    Stansted
    Gatwick
    Heathrow
    London City airport
    Istanbul
    Schipol
    Malaga

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Adding
    SVO
    MSQ and
    SDR next year

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Last time i flew was my migration from Scotland to Ireland....London Airport,Eday, ( one flight a week) to Kirkwall Airport Orkney, then to Edinburgh Airport... planes grew in size with each flight starting with a tiny Islander.

Next flight will be my very very last; chopper to the mainland when my spirit is freed. Special flight! i

dunroamin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Farranfore, Europe's JFK

Do they still line everyone up and put them on a weighing scales for all to see ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Try_harder wrote: »
    Adding
    SVO
    MSQ and
    SDR next year

OK, I know SVO is Moscow because I was looking at flights transferring through there recently but I can’t figure out the other two without looking them up. Why not use the full names? I can’t be the only one without a clue.

For what it’s worth I’ll have a guess before Googling.

MSQ could be another Moscow airport?
    SDR...San Diego?

EDIT: Looked then and was literally miles away. At least I can see the logic behind the naming convention on these ones.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Last time i flew was my migration from Scotland to Ireland....London Airport,Eday, ( one flight a week) to Kirkwall Airport Orkney, then to Edinburgh Airport... planes grew in size with each flight starting with a tiny Islander.

Next flight will be my very very last; chopper to the mainland when my spirit is freed. Special flight! i

dunroamin!

That is the only way you would get me in a helicopter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A fantastic way to fly. I went by helicopter from North Louth to Achill during the year and it's the only way to see the country, magical.

A fantastic way to fly. I went by helicopter from North Louth to Achill during the year and it's the only way to see the country, magical.

Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah I would love it alive! But will only happen when my soul has fled... or if I need hospital ... when I lived on a North Sea island we had the air ambulance islander plane.... one baby was born in the hangar as it arrived rather fast. life and death service. We had a runway; some of the islands had only a field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Dublin, it has its faults but on the whole its not too an airport really
    Birmingham, really handy, train station is literally right next door
    Manchester, awful, just awful
    Stansted, in the middle of nowhere in Essex, false economy flying there for London
    Gatwick, closer to London but a bit of a kip
    Luton, similar to the 2 above
    London City, fantastic. Straight onto a DLR once you land. Definitely worth spending the extra few bob on if flying to London
    East Midlands, horrific
    Edinburgh, a fine little airport tho get the bus into town rather than the tram
    Prestwick, well I'm just glad no one flys there anymore. You have a nice view of Troon links when waiting for your train but that's about it
    Schiphol, fantastic, utterly fantastic
    Bilbao, a fine little airport
    Marseille, miles away from town but a nice drive through the mountains to get there
    Bremen, well it's a shed
    Hamburg, not a bad one
    Dusseldorf, fine airport, handy for the train
    Lodz, small and massive queues at passport control
    Warsaw, very old school

Advertisement