Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orangutans make and use medicine

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

AllForIt wrote: »
    What I think the report shows is that the difference between animals and humans is much smaller than some would think in terms of mental abilities, emotions etc... thus making a very good case against the idea that this planet was designed specifially for us.
    Who says the planet was "designed for us" anymore? Never mind that the difference between us and the rest of the animal world is anything but small. That gulf is massive. Hell, the differences between us and our more recent ancestors like Neandertals et al was a wide one(they also self medicated funny enough).

Take tool use. Some animals use tools alright, but point out one that makes one tool to make another different tool. We've been doing that in our various stages for over a million years.
    Fizzlesque wrote: »
    I think this possibly shows that animals still know stuff that we used to know before we became disconnected from nature. And before making money became bigger (in some minds) than working with nature and accepting its offerings as a way to make our lives better/healthier.
    A huge chunk of modern medicine has developed medications from natural sources.
    Didn't orangutan cause HIV?
    No. It likely jumped to us from Congolese Chimps, initially via hunting for bush meat in the very early 20th century, then really spreading through the use of dirty needles in large scale African vaccination drives in the 40's and 50's, then via of all things a Haitian blood bank in the 1970's that exported large amounts of plasma to the US.
    Awaits Wibbs' ten thousand word thesis :D
    I'm below par today. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

I honestly believe that if you sent an orangutan or chimp through the education system they would come out smarter than some of the people I went to school with

Genuinely made me laugh out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I read a really interesting thing about Orcas recently.

Apparently they 'speak' in different dialects.

For instance a North Atlantic Orca communicates differently to a Pacific Orca.

This caused problems when Orcas from different parts of the world were integrated together in Sealife parks.

They are noted to be hostile towards each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

We are at the tip of the iceberg in understanding the abilities of animals. We have had dogs as Pets for 3000 years but we have only begun to really research them in the last 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

We only diverged from Fungi 650m years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Cats eat grass to make themselves puke up hair balls and also are found getting high on catnip.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Discodog wrote: »
    We have had dogs as Pets for 3000 years but we have only begun to really research them in the last 30.
    More like at least 15,000 years and 30 odd thousand years isn't beyond the bounds of possibility.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Didn't orangutan cause HIV?

Is this why the blood donating ask have you handled monkey bodily fluids?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is this why the blood donating ask have you handled monkey bodily fluids?

Didn't Yeats have monkey gland injections in later life?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

AllForIt wrote: »
    Orangutan for president.
    Nah.Been done already .......

• Advertisement
Advertisement