Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA - Recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ACCA2018

I am not sure how the other subject's can be offer 100%?

I attended Griffith for F4, F5 & F6 and got them all. However I don't know if it is still the same lecturers.

However PAT can not be Platinum approved yet as they are not in existence long enough.
    See below taken from ACCA website
    PLATINUM

This is the highest and most prestigious level of the programme. Platinum approved ALPs adhere to the highest standards to provide students with the best possible chance of success.
    To be considered for Platinum approval, learning providers must already be Gold approved (see below) and, in addition to the performance targets that have been demonstrated to attain Gold approval, the learning provider must also meet ACCA's Platinum performance targets and pass-rate targets over two consecutive sets of results. Platinum ALP have to provide evidence of continual improvement and innovation.

The over 100% was a bad attempt at a joke apologies for the confusion. Don’t believe everything you read online!!!! I have no idea what Griffith Colleges pass rates are I was just annoyed at other big pass rates being branded about. I was hoping for some independent advice/research on the best ACCA college.

Based on bits here I am looking at Accountancyschool.ie

Again apologies for the confusion

ACCA recommended that I study with a platinum approved college and thanks for clarifying what that is about

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ACCA1916

LOL ACCA are hardly going to say they recommend to go to a Silver / Gold over Platinum considering the fees that ACCA get.

On the other hand, i think most students (certainly I didn't) care about whether the college was Platinum / Silver etc.

If Julie Hawkins set up her own P6 school for instance with no ACCA accreditation, I think most students would still go to her because she is the perceived best at her job. At the end of the day, its all about the best lecturer to help pass the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Chasing Cars

ACCA2018 wrote: »
    The over 100% was a bad attempt at a joke apologies for the confusion.

OK - Ha! I so did not get it - Don't you know we are accountants we are not meant to make jokes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 irishmiss17

Hi all,
    sorry to jump on here aswell. I am looking to do F5 and F6 this semester and I have to pay for it myself so cost definitely does come into it. Where and what lecturers do people recommend/ not recommend? And what do you all know about city colleges and Mel Kilkenny?

Also if you think I should not sit these 2 subjects together then please do let me know a better combination. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ACCA2018

Hi all,
    sorry to jump on here aswell. I am looking to do F5 and F6 this semester and I have to pay for it myself so cost definitely does come into it. Where and what lecturers do people recommend/ not recommend? And what do you all know about city colleges and Mel Kilkenny?

Also if you think I should not sit these 2 subjects together then please do let me know a better combination. Thanks

Hi
    I have put a bit of research into this and the lecturers at Accountancyschool.ie for both F5 and F6 come well recommended by ACCA and past students.
    From what i can see these 2 subjects seem fairly big to take together. Arrange a meeting with Dave O’Donoghue at Accountancyschool and he will advise you, you can easily contact him by calling their main number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Spacemonkey124

I sat f6 in dec what I did was contact mel Kilkenny directly to purchase his course material.I think it cost 60 or 70.I found it good but wanted more as couldnt avail of the free lectures I had been getting on opentuition being irish variant so I signed up to studyonline.ie and found the lecturer good.cost was 70 joining fee then 50 per month.probably sitting f5 in march not sure I would like to do both as they fall on weds and thurs plus f5 seems to be the 2nd hardest after audit by looking at the passrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sowdublin

Hi all,

I did F5 with Mick Bristow and F6 with Sandra Gleeson for June sitting together at Accountancy School. Both come in highly recommended. Personally according to me Mick is one of the best ACCA lecturers around. He gives a lot of support and he simplifies the subject and makes it look so easy and doable.

You can certainly sit the two subjects together. They're not hard to pass with right amount of effort put in. Saves you a bit of time in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sowdublin

ACCA2018 wrote: »
    The over 100% was a bad attempt at a joke apologies for the confusion. Don’t believe everything you read online!!!! I have no idea what Griffith Colleges pass rates are I was just annoyed at other big pass rates being branded about. I was hoping for some independent advice/research on the best ACCA college.

Based on bits here I am looking at Accountancyschool.ie

Again apologies for the confusion

ACCA recommended that I study with a platinum approved college and thanks for clarifying what that is about

It mostly depends on the lecturers. I took all my lectures at Accountancy School and can't recommend them enough. Having said that, I see that former DBS lecturers have great reputation too. And I know a classmate who transferred from Accountancy School to Griffith.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 irishmiss17

Just had a look at the pass rates for Dec 2017 and F5 was 42 and F6 was 51. The pass rates don't vary much for f5-9. Should I read much into those? Also do Acca recommend sitting the exams in sequence? ie: Are they structured in a particular order for a reason?

City colleges is an ACCA Gold approved body I've just discovered so does this mean much? The f5 lecturer is Martin Corboy and f6 is Mel Kilkenny.

sowdublin wrote: »
    It mostly depends on the lecturers. I took all my lectures at Accountancy School and can't recommend them enough. Having said that, I see that former DBS lecturers have great reputation too. And I know a classmate who transferred from Accountancy School to Griffith.

Random Question as you have studied here before - Does the Accountancy School have a kitchen with a microwave to heat up a dinner - I start tomorrow and never thought to ask

• Advertisement

Just had a look at the pass rates for Dec 2017 and F5 was 42 and F6 was 51. The pass rates don't vary much for f5-9. Should I read much into those? Also do Acca recommend sitting the exams in sequence? ie: Are they structured in a particular order for a reason?

City colleges is an ACCA Gold approved body I've just discovered so does this mean much? The f5 lecturer is Martin Corboy and f6 is Mel Kilkenny.

Hi

I don't know about F5 + F6 however I would say chose the lecturer not the college. So if you find Griffith is the best for these subjects don't just settle with them for all of you subjects.

I am doing P6 & P7 in two different colleges this term based on the lecturers (even though it is costing an extra €400. However passing is more valuable to me and I have already saved this money also I hope to be Job hunting soon and getting a big salary increase :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Random Question as you have studied here before - Does the Accountancy School have a kitchen with a microwave to heat up a dinner - I start tomorrow and never thought to ask

Yes they do and free tea/coffee. But join the queue for the microwave

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Is anyone doing P1 or P3 for the first time for June? Is it worth taking a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,804 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is anyone doing P1 or P3 for the first time for June? Is it worth taking a chance?

You'll need to pass both in June because they are being blended into the one exam in September I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Doing both. P3 in March and P1 in June. Failure is not an option!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chirin

Hi all, I'm looking to get back into the books over the summer and checked out some of the suggestions in this thread. It is the same for most of the colleges to have a shorter course period at this time of year? I see that one of the colleges is running F9 over just five weeks, and that includes their revision courses. The same course at a different time of year is twelve weeks (but the overall time is similar).

Past experience is telling me this is very short and sounds intensive, especially if someone is working full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

I believe the 7 week summer sessions are more geared towards people who have failed and want a crash course. They do promise to cover all the syllabus but may be a bit more difficult, especially for the professional papers.

One way to look at it is that it's the same as doing two papers over 14 weeks which is what a lot of people would do, myself included.

I would say it's definitely achievable, I did F5 over Christmas period (Open Tuition) which was a similar time frame. F9 is similar in terms of material to cover.

I would say go for it!! Worst comes to worst you fail and can use the same notes for December.

Advertisement