Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your opinion on Julian Assange?

Options
  • 10-01-2018 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

My opinion is I think he is a traitor to the security of the world and the sooner he is in a prison with no computer access the better. The Ecuador government have finally seen sense are are now trying to get him out of there Embassy in the UK.

Before WikiLeaks the World was a far safer place its only after all the leaks from that site that the World has become a lot less safe regarding terrorists. I don,t think Isil or any of them evil organisations would have formed had Wikileaks not been around and I also think that Donald Trump would not now be president of the United States and the World would be far better of for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I'm no fan of the guy, but blaming Wikileaks for ISIS is idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Wikileaks is a great idea but it needs more internal oversight. Releasing unredacted documents that could hurt people is damn stupid.

As for Assange. He's a bit of a dick. Sorry I means he's a huge dick. Can't stand the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

I think himself and Snowden are modern day heroes, and O would explain why but based on the idiocy of the original post I don't see much point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Would the victims of 911 agree with you? Wikileaks came afterwards I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

He's a class act. He's a rebel. And he stands up to bullies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Hateful creep and I always thought that even when he was still a media darling and being held up as some sort of a hero.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

I dislike him immensely, particularly as I think the idea of wikileaks is good, but what he's done with it (he's no more than a puppet for putin) is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

That is sarcasm, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

grand dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

An oddball neckbeard type character loved by the loony left and alt-right weirdos.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Thich Nhat Hanh

What does neckbeard mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A ludicrous preening prima donna.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I dislike him immensely, particularly as I think the idea of wikileaks is good, but what he's done with it (he's no more than a puppet for putin) is terrible.

I agree completely and I'll add to it.

There was a point when wikileaks was about transparency, plain and simple. They seemed to be unbiased enough to p*ss off everybody.

Then a few years ago there was a big shift. They stopped publishing Russian dirt, supposedly after some coercion, maybe death threats. Since then, they've more or less stopped pretending to be impartial in any way.

To give a few recent examples:

They railed against the Panana papers.
    They released DNC emails only despite admitting to having similar on the RNC which they didn't publish.
    They pushed the Seth Rich conspiracy.
    They had discussions with Trump Junior, offering help with the campaign.
    Last week, they linked to a pirated copy of the Michael Wolff book.

They're compromised as f*ck at this point.

A ludicrous preening prima donna.
    Off-topic, but one of the simple joys in life is incorrectly spelled words or phrases, one of my favourites was someone being referred to as a "pre-madonna".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's time for him to pay the piper.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He played a good game, courted the anti-establishment sentiment and the good works of Ed Snowden to portray himself as a "good guy of the people", and wikileaks as a defender of freedom, anti-corruption and pro-transparency

But as more details about the charges against him became clear (i.e. they're not just trumped-up charges to try and secure an extradition), and Wikileaks revealed that it's nothing more than a Russian propaganda mouthpiece intent on destabilising the west rather than fighting corruption, his credibility was shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Wikileaks isn't even a wiki. He named it so to follow on the coat-tails on Wikipedia, and when Wikipedia asked him not to, he refused. I don't think he's remotely the shining knight of truth he used to be made as.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I think himself and Snowden are modern day heroes, and O would explain why but based on the idiocy of the original post I don't see much point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I hope you know you're crazy

What part of my post gave you such remarkable insight into my mental health?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

AMKC wrote: »
    My opinion is I think he is a traitor to the security of the world and the sooner he is in a prison with no computer access the better.

Before WikiLeaks the World was a far safer place its only after all the leaks from that site that the World has become a lot less safe regarding terrorists.
    I can easily say you and I hold opposing views on this matter.
    It's the people that scheme in the dark that cause the problems we see today, not the people bringing things up into the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The only thing I can say for sure is that he's fierce pale looking. Fierce pale altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

I hope you know you're crazy

Last year wikileaks were offered a substantial number of files in relation to Russian government. They didn't leak them due to their focus on Clinton. That's what they claimed as reason anyway.

In addition, they had leaks of Saudi intelligence files that gave away personal info of those convicted and under investigation by the Saudi regime. This put incredibly vulnerable people in danger.

I have contempt for wikileaks and Assange at this stage. Assange is a propagandist half the time and appears to be a fan of Trump. He doesn't care about collateral damage with leaks and seems obsessed with increasing his profile at this stage. Revealing corruption is not a priority.

I have immense respect for Manning and Snowden btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Is he a traitor, no he's not.

Does he have a very clear agenda, in that he only releases documents that suit him and his own, he absolutely does. I wouldn't trust him in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

Do not trust. Will never understand why anyone wants to put people like this lad up on a pedestal. You will just be disappoint eventually.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I approve of any organisation which seeks to destabilise the establishment, but Assange is an idiot for allowing his (justified) hatred of Hillary Clinton to compromise his ethics as an editor. I don't believe for a second that he's a Russian agent or anything like that - the truth is, his spat with Clinton over the diplomatic cables was severe enough that he doesn't need any coercion from a foreign government to hate her. But it's stupid, he should be above that as editor of one of the (formerly, sadly) most important media organisations of the 21st century - and I say all this as someone who absolutely despises Hillary Clinton for similar reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

I think that's a reasonably accurate description of Snowden.

Assange? Not so much. He's more invested in his ego than anything else. He's also known to be quite the bully himself, particularly towards his erstwhile partners and allies. Then there's his penchant for exaggeration and bizarre obsessions. He's not eccentric. Just a delusional prat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Assange is obviously working for Russia, not sure why anyone would listen to him now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

AMKC wrote: »
    Before WikiLeaks the World was a far safer place its only after all the leaks from that site that the World has become a lot less safe regarding terrorists. I don,t think Isil or any of them evil organisations would have formed had Wikileaks not been around.

Im sorry but this is probably the stupidist thing I have EVER read on this site and maybe anywhere online.

Im all for people having opinions but that is pure bollox and complete misinformation.

How did you even come to that assumption? Fcuk me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement