Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread

Options
  • 09-01-2018 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to reduce the amount of bread I'm eating, what would be some low fat alternatives? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Less bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Bread generally is low fat. You can switch to wholegrain breads, which are considered healthy and may fill you for longer, but they will probably be more calorific per slice. Most low calorie breads are just smaller slices/ loafs/ portions. Wraps are generally the same calories as two slices of a white pan.

Hard to say the alternatives, without knowing what meals you're looking to swap bread out for? Only straight swap I would think is crispbreads like ryvita. Breakfast go porridge/ oats, lunches have a salad with pasta/ rice/ couscous (very easy to make) instead of a sandwich/ wrap. Evenings just don't have it with the meal, and have other carbs instead. Edit - basically what Alf said.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

People demonise bread as if it is the reason they have weight to lose. Similarly pasta and potatoes.

Nothing wrong with bread unless you genuinely have some form of diagnosed gluten intolerance.

If you want to reduce bread intake because you want to reduce your calorie intake then eat less of it.

You see products like Weight Watchers bread and how it's lower calorie bread. It has fewer calories than most mainstream breads because the slices are smaller.

Wraps can often have more calories than 2 slices of bread but a lot of people assume the opposite.

Wasn't really trying to be facetious with 'less bread' but if it's just to drop some weight, then you could look at eating less bread.

Or less of anything else in your diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Icsics wrote: »
    I'm trying to reduce the amount of bread I'm eating, what would be some low fat alternatives? Thanks

Low fat or low carb???

Loads of options available, love Swedish flatbread as an alternative.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nothing wrong with carbs or fat, just eat less bread and eat more vegetables and you'll notice a big difference. Find some way to prepare them so you actually enjoy them, roasting is good, focus more on spices and less on oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you want to eat less bread, then eat less bread.
    There's not a lot of fat in bread, so a low fat option is kinda pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Icsics wrote: »
    If you are trying to reduce your bread intake because you want to reduce your fat intake and you think bread is high fat, as others have pointed out this is a mistake. Bread is generally low in fat.

If you're trying to reduce your bread intake for some other reason, you need to tell us what that other reason is. Otherwise any alternative to bread that we might suggest could be just as problematic for you, as far as that other reason is concerned.

Advertisement