Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nut allergy, dairy free, allergic to coconut-Help!

Options
  • 08-01-2018 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So I've had a nut allergy for many years and I am severely allergic to all nut types. I also happen to be allergic to coconut (which is a fruit, not a nut).

This was fine until I became lactose intolerant a couple of months ago. I have found a milk alternative but finding it very difficult to find cheese or yogurt alternatives which are safe for me.

My diet has become basic to say the least and I'm going crazy from eating the same things repeatedly.

Does anyone know any safe yogurt or cheese alternatives??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

For yoghurt Alpro do a good range. You can get them in Dunnes and SuperValu.
    They do flavoured versions too.
    Ingredients
    Water,
    Hulled Soya Beans (7.9%),
    Sugar,
    Calcium (Tri-Calciumcitrate),
    Stabiliser (Pectin),
    Acidity Regulators (Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid),
    Flavouring,
    Sea Salt,
    Antioxidants (Tocopherol-Rich Extract, Ascorbyl Palmitate),
    Yogurt Cultures (S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus),
    Vitamins (B12, D2)

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/alpro-simply-plain-yogurt-alternative-500g?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=9%2FWV6iJnvN0GTzJHKKO8qwcszpO1SJmK0YB6BaBo7p%2FY2VJ6JwO97QbfF1QcKhtoilXps%2Foi%2FKIbix8XSygeO8teObcggejiO%2FvKAP5MhNLmNKPjP0c4MeNNMQaDZZFP93KfawjuKsLzp8jTZ981m0mYjNq1JoYwaRhI9tAEeNo%3D&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Falpro-simply-plain-yogurt-alternative-500g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

So basically anything that doesn't have "nut" in the name and isn't dairy? That's a lot of food. If you're looking for tastealikes, probably some gloop from alpro. Otherwise, embrace a diet that includes fruit and veg, rice, pasta etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I'm lactose intolerant and use lactose free fairy milk and eat hard cheese and can have certain live yoghurt (glenilen natural yoghurt is my favourite but not everyone with lactose intolerance can handle live yoghurt).

Can you eat hard cheese? Mature cheddar for example? Are you sure you're lactose intolerant?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

My mum found an Alpro "icecream" for me recently - not sure what shop but probably Supervalu - and it's really nice. It's nut, dairy and coconut free although it does say it may contain traces of nuts so that might not be okay for you.

https://www.alpro.com/uk/products/ice-cream/vanilla#productrange

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

GingerLily wrote: »
    I'm lactose intolerant and use lactose free fairy milk and eat hard cheese and can have certain live yoghurt (glenilen natural yoghurt is my favourite but not everyone with lactose intolerance can handle live yoghurt)
    have you tried making your own? it is very easy to do. I have made some from glenilen myself, and glenisk. You basically mix in some store bought live yogurt into warm milk and keep it warm. Some slow cookers or the "instantpot" have functions for this, my deep fat fryer goes down to the correct temp, around 45C. It can even be left in some ovens or hobs on the lowest setting.

The advantage is that you can ferment the yogurt for a lot longer, I was doing mine for 24hrs for maximum probiotic production. Most commercial places just do 4-6hrs or so. The long ferment results in a more tart/acidic yogurt which I prefer. It is also a lot cheaper.

But when reading about making it I read it was of benefit to lactose intolerant people since if fermented that long then a lot more lactose is used up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Alrpo yogurts are actually great now, their "go on" range and their new high protein greek style are the bomb.

309845011_2_640x640.jpg?identifier=05250f490699a6f700aaaae81700ad4c

Alpro+High+Protein+Nature+400g+UK+copy_540x576_p_edf8ff.jpg

25g protein in that ^^^

There's very little alternatives I know of for you in the cheese area as most are made of coconut oil or from cashews. The best bet it to use nutritional yeast for a cheeselike flavour for sauces or for roasting on top of veg. Depending on what you want to use it for you may want to start looking at non-cheese replacements. Sandwiches can be hummous, tahini, avocado etc. After a month or two I no longer really cared about cheese even though I was a massive fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

rubadub wrote: »
    have you tried making your own? it is very easy to do. I have made some from glenilen myself, and glenisk. You basically mix in some store bought live yogurt into warm milk and keep it warm. Some slow cookers or the "instantpot" have functions for this, my deep fat fryer goes down to the correct temp, around 45C. It can even be left in some ovens or hobs on the lowest setting.

The advantage is that you can ferment the yogurt for a lot longer, I was doing mine for 24hrs for maximum probiotic production. Most commercial places just do 4-6hrs or so. The long ferment results in a more tart/acidic yogurt which I prefer. It is also a lot cheaper.

But when reading about making it I read it was of benefit to lactose intolerant people since if fermented that long then a lot more lactose is used up.

I might do that, thanks!!

The more yoghurt I have the less my lactose intolerance seems to be a problem so maybe this will help? I don't know if I'll ever be a regular dairy eater, but I'd like to have a modest amount when I'm out and about without any issues!!

Advertisement