Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get sub 30 minutes for 5k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Looking good Dee. Are you enjoying it? Can you get out instead of the treadmill at all? I need to be tied to a treadmill to keep me on one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dee75

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Looking good Dee. Are you enjoying it? Can you get out instead of the treadmill at all? I need to be tied to a treadmill to keep me on one :-)

Thanks kellygirl. Yes I am enjoying it which makes it so much easier!

The roads where I live are just a muck fest at the moment so the only outdoor run each week is the parkrun.

(Plus I love the treadmill cos we open up a big sliding door beside it so you're fully exposed to the outdoors while running indoors!!) 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done dee. Running on a treadmill is great as a back up plan if you really really can't get out but it uses muscles differently, your running will come on more if you could run outdoors. Embrace the muck :P

It’s too mucky and dangerous round here too as country roads. I have to drive to the nearest town as it just wouldn’t be safe. I do see people running round here but I wouldn’t be comfortable and I wouldn’t relax.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    It’s too mucky and dangerous round here too as country roads. I have to drive to the nearest town as it just wouldn’t be safe. I do see people running round here but I wouldn’t be comfortable and I wouldn’t relax.

Assuming OH if at home i run straight after work a couple of evenings a week which means I'm in town with reasonable footpaths & street lighting. I leave the local roads for when it's daylight or when i'm in a group whereby i feel a bit safer once we're all lit up and stick together. A bit like you said earlier i think i'd need to be tied to a treadmill to stay on it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

Just to add my two cents worth, when I was working on my distance and speed running on a treadmill, I really found that practicing runs at 11kph and even up to 12 kph for 30 secs at a time really helped (and then I built it up to 2-3 mins). (Treadmills are not ideal, but the beauty of them is that you can tell exactly how fast you're going the whole time and work your timings to the second)
    So, 10 mins at 10 kph, then 30 secs - 1 min up at 10.5kph, back down to recover, 5 mins at 8-10kph, then up to 10.5 or 11kph again.
    I found that it helped me because I am lazy, I realised if I ran at 11k for 1 minute, it meant I could slip back down to 9k for another minute if I felt like it without losing my time (my normal pace is about 10.5kph).
    But as everyone else is saying, slow and steady with all the experimenting! just try to push it a little bit from time to time!

Latest update...

Did usual circuits on Tuesday and around 5km on Thursday- half the run on treadmill at a decent pace and half outdoors up and down a short (relatively) clean section of road outside our house - which is also very hilly!

Did parkrun today and delighted to get new PB - 30.41 minutes.

That's a 27 second improvement on last PB !

Looks like the extra effort is paying off!!! Just have to keep pushing and hopefully I'll get down to 30 minutes within the next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Well done Dee, brilliant time for the park run! :D
    I'm trying to get down to under a half an hour for 5k so following this with interest!

dee75 wrote: »
    Latest update...

Did usual circuits on Tuesday and around 5km on Thursday- half the run on treadmill at a decent pace and half outdoors up and down a short (relatively) clean section of road outside our house - which is also very hilly!

Did parkrun today and delighted to get new PB - 30.41 minutes.

That's a 27 second improvement on last PB !

Looks like the extra effort is paying off!!! Just have to keep pushing and hopefully I'll get down to 30 minutes within the next month!

That is brilliant Dee! Well done you. Very nearly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Don't rush it, it'll come. Keep doing the simple things. Push out your longest run bit by bit and do one faster bit as well if you can. But consistency is 90% of your plan. No good getting 29.50 in Feb and picking up an injury when you can get it easily a month or two later. Just keep going!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

great progress Dee :)

A little bit more progress to report this week.

Had to miss circuit training due to work so only got one run in on Wednesday. Ran 6.5 km in 42 minutes and for last half km ran at much faster pace (about 5.40 min/ km pace).

Thought with so little exercise this week is be lucky to get near last week's PB of 30.41 minutes.

So I was delighted to do yesterday's parkrun in 30.22 minutes- so a new PB with a 19 second improvement.

It's so motivating to see the improvement already. Chuffed to bits and now feel will get sub 30 minutes very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I think you would get sub 30 now if you had a pacer just to bring you over the line.

Keep up the good work

That is fantastic Dee. You are really getting close. Sometimes with a bit of a rest too you get a better result so maybe in a couple of weeks take a couple of days off and then go for it!

This week's log!

Wednesday 7th
    4km on treadmill
    Felt very tired and just gave up at 4km
    Splits were 6.38, 6.16, 6.15, 6.16
    Max BPM 154

Thursday 8th
    Circuits class at lunchtime - 40 minutes HIIT
    Max BPM 155

Saturday 10th
    Volunteered at local parkrun
    Dropped son to birthday party and did 7km in local forest park - never there before so didn't know route. Muddy and slippy surface.
    Very slow and legs a bit sore still from circuits - took 48.26 mins. Felt breathing was good though.
    Max BPM 169
    Splits were 6.04, 6.44, 6.52, 6.56, 7.05, 7.15, 7.27

Happy though as that's the furthest I've ever run in my life!!

This week's log!

Wednesday 7th
    4km on treadmill
    Felt very tired and just gave up at 4km
    Splits were 6.38, 6.16, 6.15, 6.16
    Max BPM 154

Thursday 8th
    Circuits class at lunchtime - 40 minutes HIIT
    Max BPM 155

Saturday 10th
    Volunteered at local parkrun
    Dropped son to birthday party and did 7km in local forest park - never there before so didn't know route. Muddy and slippy surface.
    Very slow and legs a bit sore still from circuits - took 48.26 mins. Felt breathing was good though.
    Max BPM 169
    Splits were 6.04, 6.44, 6.52, 6.56, 7.05, 7.15, 7.27

Happy though as that's the furthest I've ever run in my life!!

Well done on the 7km and to your first venture trail running it does tend to take more out of you but makes you stronger :)

Baby75 wrote: »
    Well done on the 7km and to your first venture trail running it does tend to take more out of you but makes you stronger :)

Trail running somehow sounds more exciting!!!

Well done! Making great progress!

I did it!!!

Bloody delighted with myself!!

Parkrun today - did it in 29.16

Couldn't believe it!!

That's a 1 minute 6 second improvement on last parkrun two weeks ago.

Training works!

I'm gonna switch this thread to a proper training log tomorrow like all the proper runners!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well done Dee! That's some smashed record there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Well done dee! Nice progress, training really does work - 25 minutes next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done you! Delighted!!

Singer wrote: »
    Well done dee! Nice progress, training really does work - 25 minutes next :)

Ah here! Baby steps I think!!

Ah here! Baby steps I think!!

You'll be surprised. Training will bring times down. Most importantly though you really seem to be enjoying it. That's pure gold.

Yay! I’m really thrilled for you. It’s been great following your progress the last few weeks. You must have been thrilled with yourself all day. Definitely a real runner now that you have followed a training plan and gotten a result.

Congrats!!!

Well done Dee congrats on the sub 30 and a pb :D I will look forward to your log

Thanks everyone! Yes I have been so happy all day. And I even slowed down the last 500m because I was so far ahead of my time and I didn't want to improve so much that I'd never hit the same time again!!!

Great encouragement from the line at parkrun ad the volunteers knew I was working for sub 30 and they were shouting me on the last bit. Brilliant experience ðŸ˜

And don't be afraid to smash PBs, there will be more to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Nice work!

• Advertisement

I missed this at the weekend. Brilliant running. I'm delighted for you :)

Advertisement