Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless in warehouse

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

. Everyone has the right to live everywhere.

No they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Its not just social housing thats needed..
    More housing across the board is needed, if more housing is there for people to buy then they will leave rented stock which will be available to lower income families..

We're seeing the knock on of a completly stagnated market where no houses were built for 5-8 years, during that time it didnt matter as people were exiting the country.. Now people are returning to work and the lag in house supply at all levels is showing.. Employed people are renting accomadation that previously would have been unthinkable for them in the past and left for low income or SW supported families.. If there were houses to buy these low end properties would be again available to low income families..

The HOMELESS numbers are being bloated by those choosing to be registered as homeless to bump themselves up the lists, this isnt everyone, but quite a few.. Its the new "get knocked up - have a sprog - get a house" idea.

Most people throwing out ideas are like myself, clueless as to the social effects and problems of creating spaces for these people to have homes.. I pay anough taxes that someone in government should be doing something proper - but I see nothing but talk...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Gatling wrote: »
    This is exactly what there doing with homeless hubs

Not quite , I've been in hub and they are a bit beyond warehouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

You can put them on pallets and stack them 6 high, make little pods where each bay is for some privacy.

It would also put some forklift drivers back in the workforce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Homelessness is a way of life for the majority of people in my view.
    I see people sleeping rough daily & to be honest, I have very little sympathy
    if any to be honest for those I pass because it's all a farce! Drug addicts,
    alcoholics, Roma, scammers all with a hand out!

When I pass the GPO and see the volume of people queuing for a food handout,
    I suspect that there are more there then there should be but isn't that always the case!
    Shouldn't be allowed outside of the GPO regardless!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

I only class homelessness as people sleeping on the street.....a single mother still living in her family house is imo is not homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

get them some barcodes too and a box.

on a pallet, up into the racks on the reach truck.

then the order comes in on the computer from Dublin city council;

we need 1 angry pisser for Bolton street, and 2 wall leaners for Dorset st.

out with the scanner. beep, check the order number, into the truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

littelady wrote: »
    To build houses for all is so expensive can the country really afford to build thousands of homes and to be honest I feel it would be never ending. I'm talking about getting people off the streets now and let them have some dignity and have a base to help themselves get jobs at the lowest cost to the state.

Warehouses would do nothing. Did you know only 150 or so sleep rough every night in dublin, usually by their own choice as they don't want to stay in the homeless hostels as they're often dangerous and poorly run.Whch is fair enough but still, warehouses won't do anything for homeless people
    The best thing to be done is try to make homeless hostels safer. And keep providing food stalls for them, which is already done. There will always be people sleeping rough, it will never ever stop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

wakka12 wrote: »
    To build houses for all is so expensive can the country really afford to build thousands of homes and to be honest I feel it would be never ending. I'm talking about getting people off the streets now and let them have some dignity and have a base to help themselves get jobs at the lowest cost to the state.

Warehouses would do nothing. Did you know only 150 or so sleep rough every night in dublin, usually by their own choice as they don't want to stay in the homeless hostels as they're often dangerous and poorly run.Whch is fair enough but still, warehouses won't do anything for homeless people
    The best thing to be done is try to make homeless hostels safer. And keep providing food stalls for them, which is already done. There will always be people sleeping rough, it will never ever stop

I work in homeless hostels , have done for a couple of years as well as drop in centres and they are not dangerous or poorly run.
    I've worked all sorts of shifts both night and day , early mornings and late nights .

Greencap; what's your solution .....let me guess build more social houses.....homeless people need a safe place to sleep and a place to help them get themselves back on their own two feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

A lot of the issue with rough sleepers goes much deeper then shelter. Even if you give somebody with huge problems such as drug addiction or mental health issues a house are they really going to be able to function. A huge contribution to homelessness in Ireland is due to addiction issues or family breakdown. Its not as simple as giving them a house. There are beds, there is economic help there but if somebody does not have the support on addiction or being able to function living a normal life then a house is not going to be a solution.

Its not really as straight forward as its being painted. Its not as simple as just poverty that causes this.

This is not in all cases obviously, people do fall on hard times but in general in Ireland there are other issues. Investment in addiction services would probably go further then more hostels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Greencap; what's your solution .....let me guess build more social houses.....homeless people need a safe place to sleep and a place to help them get themselves back on their own two feet.

it was a joke.

i was eating potato waffles and listening to youtube.

ill study the reports and come up with a solution to homelessness tomorrow uberkommandant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

A lot of the issue with rough sleepers goes much deeper then shelter. Even if you give somebody with huge problems such as drug addiction or mental health issues a house are they really going to be able to function. A huge contribution to homelessness in Ireland is due to addiction issues or family breakdown. Its not as simple as giving them a house. There are beds, there is economic help there but if somebody does not have the support on addiction or being able to function living a normal life then a house is not going to be a solution.

Its not really as straight forward as its being painted. Its not as simple as just poverty that causes this.

This is not in all cases obviously, people do fall on hard times but in general in Ireland there are other issues. Investment in addiction services would probably go further then more hostels.

Ye got figures or are you just assuming the majority of homeless are addicts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Just cuz it has house in the name doesn't mean it can function as a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

There are beds available to anyone who wants one. Usually these beds come with conditions that may not be acceptable to those in need, hence their choice to sleep rough.

Think veiled 'sure they're all druggies and alcos'

Sorry greencap; i didn't realise you were joking thought u were a div !!! Sorry.

What is div even short for !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Ye got figures or are you just assuming the majority of homeless are addicts?

Yeah crazy assumption that it contributes to homeless problem. And i didnt say that the majority are addicts. I just think its not as straightforward as made out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Homelessness is a result of a capitalist system that isn't quite perfect. It's not that bad considering that most ppl aren't homeless.

The capitalist system needs to be fine-tuned such that ppl on the bottom don't fall off the system altogether.

If we expect ppl to work in lower working class jobs for the sake of keeping a business alive we as a society need to ensure that rent is affordable - for all.

It's not enough to have a minimum wage policy unless that minimum wage covers the cost of rent that fluctuates over time.

Figuring out where to find roofs for ppl like warehouses is a plaster solution to a very serious problem. Housing ppl in warehouses will only bring with it a host of new problems.

IMO there is a complete lack of opportunities for ppl from less privileged backgrounds. The emphasis is all on higher education which is not a bad think in itself but courses are often too long, too expensive and are largely academic. There is no such thing as apprenticeships anymore. Employers are not willing to take on ppl unless they can show that they already hold some kind of diploma or degree, even for jobs where one is required to do manual work such as in a restaurant kitchen and even then the pay is crap.

I believe unless one has some kind of serious physical impairment everyone is good at something and thus capable of working.

It is up to our government to figure out how to solve these problems. That's what we vote them in for and what we expect them to do. I'm not sure any government we have had over the last 20 years or more are focusing their attention on these kinds of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are missing the point. Even if every single person who is currently homeless suddenly became a well-functioning, contributing, gainfully employed member of society, we would still have a serious problem. (In fact, a very large proportion of the people who are homeless are well-functioning and contributing.)

The fundamental cause of the crisis is that there are more families than there are homes.

That is the fundamental issue that needs to be addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Yeah crazy assumption that it contributes to homeless problem. And i didnt say that the majority are addicts. I just think its not as straightforward as made out

Who’s making out that it’s straight forward, definitely isn’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You are missing the point. Even if every single person who is currently homeless suddenly became a well-functioning, contributing, gainfully employed member of society, we would still have a serious problem. (In fact, a very large proportion of the people who are homeless are well-functioning and contributing.)

The fundamental cause of the crisis is that there are more families than there are homes.

Yes, but that does not mean that even if their were a physical building for every person in the land that the rents would be affordable for every demographic. I don't doubt that it would help a bit.

Keeping rental availability smaller that what is required from the market creates competition that allows the landlords to up the rent to the highest bidder. Who is going to build to cater for the ppl who can pay the least. Nobody, if they are in it for financial gain.

I think that if their weren't such a divide in terms of pay one would find that all of a sudden you'd see houses being built all over the place to cater for those ppl where the providers were sure to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Our current crisis has at its core that there just aren’t enough homes for the number of family units who live here. You can give them as much counseling as you like and find them a job and all the rest, but there still won’t be enough homes.

EU diktat? Import More people! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Corvo

We’ll deal with the homeless once we deal with the cultural and housing needs of the travelling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yes, but that does not mean that even if their were a physical building for every person in the land that the rents would be affordable for every demographic. I don't doubt that it would help a bit.

The difference could be made up with a social protection payment.
    Keeping rental availability smaller that what is required from the market creates competition that allows the landlords to up the rent to the highest bidder. Who is going to build to cater for the ppl who can pay the least. Nobody, if they are in it for financial gain.

If there were enough homes, this really wouldn't be possible.

In practice, what happens is that you build new homes and wealthier people move into them. This frees up older homes and less wealthy people can afford to buy them or rent them.

See http://humantransit.org/2017/11/learning-for-portlands-for-rent-signs.html for a discussion.

I think that if their weren't such a divide in terms of pay one would find that all of a sudden you'd see houses being built all over the place to cater for those ppl where the providers were sure to make a profit.

This is basically the same way the car market works. As people with more disposable income buy new cars, they sell their own ones and they become available to people with lower disposable income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I say let's have less homeless and more speed cameras.

Think veiled 'sure they're all druggies and alcos'

Was thinking of the couples ban, actually.

Advertisement