Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

He ll be fine on the terrace. There's acres of room up there . Put him down on the fence behind the goals and keep a close eye on him and enjoy yourself. Remember when we were young. You'd be told what time to be at the car after the match and let off with a 5er

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dannymole22

Ya the open stand would be the preference as you said the view is miles better than the Mackey

Unfortunately different times, between flares, bottles and cans being launched any time I was in the terrace last year I wouldn't do it to him

If push came to shove I'd go to corner where the terrace meets the open stand but not behind the goals

• Registered Users Posts: 24,439 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would assume off to the side is what Peggy meant when they said "plenty of room". The floodlight is annoying but the area behind it will be very quiet especially I would say over on the Clare end where the Tipp fans will be.

Tipp have lots of clubs and season ticket holders same as ourselves so will be tough if you don't know someone.

Loads of seats available for the Waterford game though.

Got sorted for the Waterford game on ticketmaster, hoping some may pop up there for Sunday but as you said between clubs/season tickets it's unlikely

If not I'll chance the corner of the terrace or over by where the Sunday Game crew set up

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭C4000

Having watched the match back last night, I’m not sure about some of the analysis by various pundits. I’ve read articles talking about Clare being in cruise control and doing everything right for the first 50 minutes. For me, there was only a relatively short period in the second half where Clare were playing with fluency and dominating the match. During this period they stretched a five point lead out to nine, and Limerick looked in trouble.

For all of the first half, the balance of play was fairly even. The difference on the scoreboard was down to Limerick squandering a large number of very scorable opportunities that they had created. This started in the third minute, Gillane snatched at an excellent goal chance when a simple handpass to an unmarked Flanagan would have seen an almost certain goal. O’Neill, Reidy, Morrissey, Flanagan missed multiple chances and Byrnes’ free taking radar was well off. Clare weren’t creating many scoring chances from play, but McCarthy was converting all of the frees that they were winning.

The first 10 minutes of the second half were lethargic from both teams, with nothing really happening on the scoreboard. The narrative seems to be that the lucky goal that Byrnes got (I don’t think Gillane got a touch) changed the game, but to me the tide had already started to turn by then. A combination of the subs that Limerick brought on and several of the starting players significantly upping their game had an impact. Boylan combined with Hayes on two occasions to run at the Clare defence and win frees, O’Neill put a goal chance on a plate for O’Dalaigh and scored a point himself, and Nash won three balls storming out of defence.

Once the first goal went in, the writing was on the wall. The Clare forwards stopped winning ball entirely, English and Lynch started getting on ball and using it well, and Cleary and Hogan, who had marshalled Gillane and Flanagan well, completely switched off when faced with Hegarty and O’Dalaigh instead.

There are plenty of positives to take from the game. Quaid was rock solid in goal and the full back line defended very well, despite O’Donnell being excellent and creating two goal chances. You wouldn’t expect the level of wastefulness in front of goal to be repeated too often – several of the chances were ones that you’d normally expect a very high conversion rate from.

In terms of changes for next week, Tom Morrisey would be the one whose form would be concerning – he hardly touched the ball here following a similar performance in the league semi final. If Peter Casey comes in he’d be most likely to lose out. I’d have no hesitation in sticking with Flanagan inside. While this game didn’t go his way, he showed for plenty of ball and was involved in the play.

• Advertisement

Morrissey will get another chance. He kept us in games last year when playing bad in Munster so I think they will stick with him.

I think Reidy and Flanagan will drop out O'Neill and Casey when everyone is back fit.

O'Dalaigh will see a lot of time off the bench. He will be Kiely's new Dowling/O'Neill type player so I don't think he will start a game no matter how good he is looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

There wouldn't be any "cans and bottles being launched " on the Tipperary terrace anyway, we wouldn't put up with that sort of carry on. Bring the young fella up there he'll be grand.

So judging from what you're saying you seem to see it as a 50/50 game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

Wasn't even funny when you were at this wind up stuff 10 years ago when Tipp were any good…less so now

• Advertisement

They wouldn't waste them since the deposit scheme was introduced anyway that's for sure

They'd be crafty enough that way alright. Hopefully the ref will be strong and not afraid to enforce the rules on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 treklane

to be fair I agree buddy.
    tipp fans are the finest.head towards the Ennis road side of the tipp terrace and all will be gravy.

Different story at last year’s Munster final though.I ended up with a ticket for that end been a limerick man in my forties raised in the city centre and street wise I feared for the safety off my 7 year old crowd were vicious language etc no room for that in our game Clare Crowd took it to a level that was not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭High bike

You might even get a few hang sandwiches wrapped in tin file in that terrace if ur lucky

I'm afraid the old hang sanguiches are on the way out bike. All ciabatas and take away lattes nowadays! Since they tore down the Davin Arms we can't even get a decent drink nearby. Just have to bring the old " Clonmel Champagne (Bulmer cider) with us to the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭einn32

Well I presume no Mike Casey available at the weekend. DOD is definitely out. Didn't hear of any other knocks. Peter Casey is available I think? Few of the subs made a good case for starting but I think they will go with pretty much the same team. Maybe Casey in and O Neill drops to the bench. Reidy to midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Iecrawfc

It would be harsh on O'Neill to be dropped after the Clare game, thought he did quite well compared to some orhers, more likely to be Tom Morrissey or Reidy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

Casey for Flanagan will be only change is my guess. Flanagan running out of road at this stage as a starter. He hasnt played well consistently for a few years.

In fairness to Flanagan its hard when the corner back is pulling and dragging him all day,I'd say it will be the same starting team apart from Mike Casey.Is there any word on how bad the injury is.

• Advertisement

I think if history is anything to go by then Kiely will stick with the same team with the exception of Finn starting for Casey.

The Flanagan one is tough as you lose his work rate and size from the forwards which Kiely obviously rates. Peter Casey off the bench last 20 minutes would be a tough sight for Tipp backs so that might be the option

• Registered Users Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭billyhead

He was giving as good as he was getting. Tbh I think Kiely will stick with the same starting 15 apart Mike Casey with his injury with Finn starting instead.

Casey will be back in from the start and most likely for Reidy. Kiely keeps things pretty steady as you say.

Wouldnt agree that he was giving as good as he was getting,surely a forward is trying to make runs to the wing or corner to get away from the back so why would he want to be dragging off the back all day.Another thing when the ref went in to talk to the umpire late in the first half why did he only book Hogan and not Flanagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭moby2101

Minimal amount of changes/tinkering from Kiely you would expect.

Last year’s game in Thurles was a tight game, their forwards did a number on us in the first half and we tightened up In the second.

Tipp were savage fit and went toe to toe with us in the physicality stakes, Tipp in PUC in the League looked like they were training hard and not up to the pace of us.

Peter Casey back in , no change to Gillane or Flanagan, we have good options in O Dalaigh and English.
    Think CON has to start again, he grew into the game last week as it went on.
    Cian Hego Byrnes all blew off some cobwebs and will be sharper.

Nash Finn and Dan were very solid in the second half and cut out the few errors of the first half

Tom’s position would possibly be up for grabs right at this minute, I have no dhe just needs a bit more game time to get back to form.
    any word on Mike Casey , DOD and who is reffing on Sunday

Cork to beat the noisy neighbours and put them out for 2024 !!

I don't think Clare losing will put them out. Starting to feel a bit like 2019 when 3 teams finished on 4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭moby2101

Don't know about Mike Casey but DoD is supposed to be back for the Cork match and Liam Gordon from Galway is the ref

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭C4000

Casey tweaked his hamstring and will be out for a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Hopefully that's all it is ,if anything happens Sean Finn were in trouble

Advertisement