Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leopardstown Dublin Racing Festival.

Options
  • 04-01-2018 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

A month away now to the new festival.
    7 Grade 1 races looks to be a good 2 days of racing hopefully given some nice horses show up.
    Do you think some trainers and owners may skip it thinking its to close to Cheltenham for their liking?
    Hopefully it brings a few English horses over also.
    Thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I'm going down for the Saturday with a crowd from work. Any group deals available for basic entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm going down for the Saturday with a crowd from work. Any group deals available for basic entry?

http://www.leopardstown.com/visit/tickets/groups/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Says in the link €15 general, was sure I saw €25 somewhere here and was definitely €25 for Christmas meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Onthetreble

Long time boards reader, thought it was time to jump in on the fun.

I recently enquired into the entry fee for the Dublin racing festival. Entry price on the Sunday is €35 per person, Im presuming the Saturday is the same. Increase in ticket price due to the total number of grade 1 races now taking place. As well as the significant jump in prize money for the majority of the races.

We were offered a price of €25 per head entry with a group of over 20 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭chancer007

Hi,

Its €30 on the sunday for general admission if you buy online
    BR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Mr321 wrote: »
    A month away now to the new festival.
    7 Grade 1 races looks to be a good 2 days of racing hopefully given some nice horses show up.
    Do you think some trainers and owners may skip it thinking its to close to Cheltenham for their liking?
    Hopefully it brings a few English horses over also.
    Thoughts ?

With the modern style (thanks Best Mate!), yes some trainers will think it's too close. I'm no expert but 5 and a half weeks seems like a fair gap between races.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Lowest price ticket to get into Cheltenham is £25

They decide to invent a festival and want to charge more than Cheltenham!!!

Dublin festival is a trials day...

I went to the hurdle last year.... €20 entry fee... Wont be going back... Will be watching from the couch. PP online will be benefit instead if the smaller oncourse bookmaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Keep an eye on Pigsback, they have some great deals for the Christmas festival. Hopefully a few good horse show up. For some it will be perfect for a run before the big one

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

picachu wrote: »
    Lowest price ticket to get into Cheltenham is £25

They decide to invent a festival and want to charge more than Cheltenham!!!

Dublin festival is a trials day...

I went to the hurdle last year.... €20 entry fee... Wont be going back... Will be watching from the couch. PP online will be benefit instead if the smaller oncourse bookmaker.

The Best Mate enclosure hardly counts as Cheltenham though.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭chancer007

was going to go until I saw the €30 entrance fee
    I know they have a €50 special for the 2 days but cant make both days

a new racing festival gives them a fresh opportunity to fleece punters.

like a previous poster said, do a few bets in PP & watch on the TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

According to their latest press release, the Irish Champion Hurdle will feature Faugheen V Beavau D'air V Samcro V Supasundae

If that happens I will eat all your hats.....

Gautama wrote: »
    The Best Mate enclosure hardly counts as Cheltenham though.

If they rate themselves so highly why dont they do like Cheltenham and give restricted access for a smaller entry fee.. As they currently do boxing off half the parade ring

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭charliegeorge

If anyone spots any deals on tickets could you post a link please. I might go on the Saturday but not at €30. I'd be as well off spending the €30 on a couple of pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 moneymore

I think €30 is a fair price for top class racing, 7 grade 1s over 2 days! ffs you'd pay 15 quid into a ****ty meeting down the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

moneymore wrote: »
    I think €30 is a fair price for top class racing, 7 grade 1s over 2 days! ffs you'd pay 15 quid into a ****ty meeting down the country!

I know yeah how stingy are some people like. The two days for 50 quid is excellent. I've gone to ****e concerts and matches for more.

I know yeah how stingy are some people like. The two days for 50 quid is excellent. I've gone to ****e concerts and matches for more.

Than don't go to ****e matches or concerts...

Feel free to waste your money... Im sure there are plenty more like you

Than don't go to ****e matches or concerts...

Feel free to waste your money... Im sure there are plenty more like you

If I had a crystal ball and knew they'd be ****e I wouldn't go to them lol. Feel free to whinge over a few euro, I'm sure life's a laugh a minute with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

€30 is great value, it was £70 for Cheltenham a few years ago and £8.50 for a burger!!! Lepordstown is always great value in fairness

stretchaq wrote: »
    €30 is great value, it was £70 for Cheltenham a few years ago and £8.50 for a burger!!! Lepordstown is always great value in fairness

How is paing €30 this great value when it was €20 last year?? 3 grade ones on the card last year...

How is paing €30 this great value when it was €20 last year?? 3 grade ones on the card last year...

Last year's card had a maiden hurdle, a 0-123 handicap chase, a Grade 2 and two Grade 1s. This year's card has three Grade 1s, 2 Grade 2s, and 2 Grade B handicaps. Horses running will be Samcro, Next Destination, Footpad, Petit Mouchoir, Faugheen, Melon, Yorkhill, Min, Rapid Escape, Hollowgraphic and plenty more. Last year had Melon, Petit Mouchoir and Footpad. There's no comparison. I would consider €30 this year better value than €20 last year tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Thankfully I'm under 30. €90 membership for every Leopardstown meeting

Killultagh Vic 7/1 for IGC

Thank you very much....

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

Killultagh Vic 7/1 for IGC

Thank you very much....

I think that's a very short price for a horse that's been injured for a year with only 2 chase starts to his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

handsfree2 wrote: »
    I think that's a very short price for a horse that's been injured for a year with only 2 chase starts to his name.

Closer to 2 years. It's actually 2 years to the day since his unbelievable win at Leopardstown

Don't see much to beat it. Our Duke will go off short, but wouldn't touch it.
    Think its a very good price for KV
    Coney Island another at a similar price worth looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

Don't see much to beat it. Our Duke will go off short, but wouldn't touch it.
    Think its a very good price for KV
    Coney Island another at a similar price worth looking at

I'd have road to respect as favorite after his Christmas performance. 3/1 on him seems quite generous.

There are a lot of decent horses with question marks over them. I've a soft spot for Anibale fly I'd be inclined to give him a chance

I see Nicky admitting now that BD will only travel if Sandown is called off....so no nicholls, no tizzard, no Henderson.
    Will still be an epic 2 days regardless, but when Leopardstown out out that press release yesterday, they knew will it was BS

• Registered Users Posts: 31 NickB1337

I know this might be a stupid question but do you think they'll have any of the 6 nations rugby on for watching between races?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I see Nicky admitting now that BD will only travel if Sandown is called off....so no nicholls, no tizzard, no Henderson.
    Will still be an epic 2 days regardless, but when Leopardstown out out that press release yesterday, they knew will it was BS
    If that is going to be the response from British trainers, then they've lost any right to complain about the lack of prize money in the future. Nicky Henderson's response in particular was totally spineless. He has no excuse to run the best hurdler going in Buveur D'Air in a £15k egg and spoon race when he could be going to Ireland and winning a much better race and taking home a £90k purse.

Seriously, I hope the Irish trainers pull their pants down at Cheltenham this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

NickB1337 wrote: »
    I know this might be a stupid question but do you think they'll have any of the 6 nations rugby on for watching between races?
    You might catch it in the on-course Paddy Power, but I imagine it will be bunged in there. I think there's also a bar underneath the main stand that has other sports on TV.

Advertisement