Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own a house/apartment?

Options
  • 04-01-2018 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what percentage of AHers are property owners? I know it's common wisdom that the Irish have a bigger want than most to be home owners (which I think is bs btw, we're not much different than other similar countries) but even so I've noticed among my own friends a lack of buying going on. Some just straight up can't afford, some don't want to be tied down, others are still in trauma from seeing all the negative equity sob stories from the recession (ok maybe not...).

I don't own a place, am looking to buy next year though.

To those who own, do you see it as an investment? Security? I can't imagine raising a family in a rented place given the laughable nature of that sector in Ireland.

Do you own a house/apartment? 70 votes

No
    0% 0 votes
    Yes
    100% 70 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

eoinzy2000 wrote: »
    How is paying less per month than rent, and having an asset at the end BS?

Think you misread him buddy. I read it that he doesn't believe that Ireland's love or owning a property is any more than similar countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Welllllll, when I say own, I mean that the bank owns it for now but I own a little more of it every month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

Think you misread him buddy. I read it that he doesn't believe that Ireland's love or owning a property is any more than similar countries.
    Realised that and deleted my post too late.... eek😱

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Depends what you mean by own? Own outright or own but still paying the bank for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Been a home owner for about 14 years now.

Shortly after we got the keys property prices were starting on the steep upward curve of the boom. We thought about moving and getting a bigger house with the new found equity we had, but then the arse fell out of the market, so we're quite lucky that we didn't.

Upshot of it is that our house is still worth more now than we paid for it and we're a long way into our mortgage. Monthly repayments are a good bit less then the rental value of the house. Sure, we're kinda stuck there - I doubt we'd get a mortgage for a bigger house now anyway - but that's okay, we like where we live. I'd imagine if we get to the point we could afford it, we'd be more likely to extend or do an attic conversion.

I don't think of the house as either and investment or security. It's our home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Renting, especially in Dublin, is stressful. Landlords are taking the p1ss with rent increases whenever they feel like it, you never know when they’ll use the line that a relative in moving in or that they’re going to sell.

In saying that, there’s not much value in the market at the moment so you would need a hefty enough deposit to get on the property ladder, in Dublin anyhow.

I wouldn’t buy a property as an investment, buy it for peace of mind to control outgoings, and make sure it’s something to suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Yes but I don't live in it anymore as my Ex and my Kid live there.

She decided it'd be best if she met some else and I didn't live there anymore despite the fact I've paid well over 65% of the cost of that house to date

See you next Tuesday.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

After 10 years of paying a mortgage, I think I own about 1 bathroom. The small one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Own, having bought via an inheritance.

It's both security (although where i an there are very strict eviction laws) and investment (its my pension as much as anything).

would never get a mortgage though. Not having seen what happened to friends after the last financial crash.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

grahambo wrote: »
    Yes but I don't live in it anymore as my Ex and my Kid live there.

She decided it'd be best if she met some else and I didn't live there anymore despite the fact I've paid well over 65% of the cost of that house to date

See you next Tuesday.....

It's a grand house though. Thanks

(I pop over for the odd dirty session with your filthy ex.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

My partner and I own (mortgage) a modest 2 bedroom end of terrace. It's fine for our needs with a front/back garden and side access and the mortgage is really quite low as we bought in 2011 when prices were low.
    We have no plans to move abroad and both our jobs are in Dublin so it makes sense. We knew we'd be paying less in rent and hopefully when we're retired we'll have an asset that we can do with as we please.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It's both security (although where i an there are very strict eviction laws) and investment (its my pension as much as anything).

would never get a mortgage though. Not having seen what happened to friends after the last financial crash.
    YOU do realise you don't have to buy at inflated peak of the market prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Own a one bed apartment.

Bought it because I had a big enough deposit so that the mortgage costs less than renting a room in Dublin in a two bed shared apartment.

And probably half of what it would cost to rent a one bed on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Idbatterim wrote: »

YOU do realise you don't have to buy at inflated peak of the market prices?

Oh I know, but they did. And you've no idea how the markets going to react in the next few dwcades.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

The husband owns land and bog down the country, currently rented out as prices aren't great for sites there right now.

We live with my mother in a big enough house outside Dublin. Have the savings to buy (deposit +) but prices are too steep for us to consider, plus haven't decided on whether we want rural or urban. So keeping saving, sitting tight for now but are in no rush. Very lucky that we get along with my mam and don't have to pay crazy rents, got out of renting 2 years ago after several increases on our 1 bed D1 apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Bought my first place when I was 24 and had got sucked into the idea that everyone had to have a house, that and the banks where throwing money at me and I was too young to remember.
    I was lucky in a way cause I sold it a year later, made a few Euro and gave me the chance to buy something (in a ****hole that was closer to work) and bought at the worst time, just before the crash and went straight into negative equity.
    We have moved again, thanks to the bank and I don't plan on buying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

mojesius wrote: »
    The husband owns land and bog down the country, currently rented out as prices aren't great for sites there right now.

We live with my mother in a big enough house outside Dublin. Have the savings to buy (deposit +) but prices are too steep for us to consider, plus haven't decided on whether we want rural or urban. So keeping saving, sitting tight for now but are in no rush. Very lucky that we get along with my mam and don't have to pay crazy rents, got out of renting 2 years ago after several increases on our 1 bed D1 apartment.

Do you not pay rent to your mother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

When I met my wife she was a couple of years into a 25 year mortgage, ten years later and there's 12 or so years left. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm in the "fortunate" position of "owning" both. Bought an apartment about 12 or 13 years ago, which has recently hit mile stone of once again being valued at what I paid for it all those years back.
    Very recently (late last year) I also bought a house. All going well I'm hoping that in maybe 5 or 6 years, if things keep going the way they are I'll have the enviable options of either selling the apartment to wipe the remaining mortgage on the house and live mortgage free, either that or leave it sit there as a pension kitty for when I retire, or a few bob deposit for the kids so they can saddle themselves with a couple of decades worth of debt also!

If I can manage to get through the next 5 or 6 years without any major upheavals / property crashes etc. then the future should be handy enough financially speaking. Of course by then it will have taken 20 years of solid effort to achieve that, but still very much worth it overall. IF - that's the important word though - IF.

Truth is that so much of this shít is out of your control that it's largely a lottery whether it works out or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Mooooo wrote: »
    Do you not pay rent to your mother?

Yes , plus bills and we've put a good bit into doing the house up. Still allows us to save a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Bought 5 years ago as had kids and apartment I was renting was not big enough. Turned out to be cheaper to buy and pay mortgage than renting a similar sized place at the time. Plus I could fix the mortgage for 20 years at < 2% interest. Right now my mortgage is around €600 less a month than what the houses beside me are renting for, and this will only increase over the coming years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I think that due to AH being a forum on the net, there's alot of Software people on boards. This is a decent paid job, ergo highish salaries ergo decent amount of property owners compared to other random groups of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

I bought a house in the countryside only 6KM from the M7 25 years ago. It is in a rural setting that is peaceful and crime free and only 5min drive to town and is mortgage free. The problem I have is that the area has recently been designated a flood area after recent heavy wet spells caused the river to overflow. Although the house is in no danger it is virtually unsaleable. We raised a happy and safe family here. I am not wishing to sell it anytime soon but I no longer have the same fondness for it that I had.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think that due to AH being a forum on the net, there's alot of Software people on boards. This is a decent paid job, ergo highish salaries ergo decent amount of property owners compared to other random groups of people.

That's a bizarre leap of logic in 2018 : forum users are rich?

I technically still part own an apartment, which I might end up swapping for a smaller one and selling, then eventually buying another decent size one with a manageable mortgage but it's by no means a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

(its my pension as much as anything).

Nice pension. An undiversified, illiquid, deteriorating asset that you live inside and are emotionally attached to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

That's a bizarre leap of logic in 2018 : forum users are rich?
    I didn't say rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

People get ever so specific in these threads.

"I'm paying X on my mortgage and X amount of years left."

Do you have a house or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

Advertisement