Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing in club when you have social disabilities

• 04-01-2018 12:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

I've posted this on other sites but it never got a reply, maybe it is too strange a topic.

If you are a person on the Autistic spectrum, or have Social Anxiety Disorder or a similar type of mental problem playing in teams can be very difficult, it is something that the average person can't really imagine, even walking into the changing room full of people is daunting.

It is hard to build relationships with the other players, things can be ok in regards to the football but the close friendship ties aren't there because you can't hold much of a conversation with them or their banter, you end up being an outsider.

I left football when I was was a teenager 10 years ago as I didn't fit in, I had some friends however they all left so I was left alone and was an outsider in the group.

My question is if any of you know of any similar situations of socially inept men playing in adult GAA clubs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

I don't.
    But it difficult to tell, I know someone with quiet similar story that struggled fitting into an underage team in a social way, he gave the sport up eventually. I knew that he was struggling to integrate but I don't think everyone else involved was aware of it.. sometimes I felt if he kept on persevering his characteristics would be accepted as normal within the group but it was a struggle.

Advertisement