Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 WC in 4K

Options
  • 03-01-2018 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

All games to be shot in 4K and broadcast out, now all we need is the channels!!

Can we expect both ITV & BBC to have a channel up and running for this or maybe a red button to go to the match in 4K like Sky do now for PL?

Obviously there's no point in asking about RTE but some streams on 28e would be very nice.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The original FIFA press-release - http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2017/m=10/news=fifa-at-the-forefront-of-broadcast-technology-2916003.html

It would be nice to see a temporary UHD channel from BBC/ITV for the WC. I have the 3 UHD test channels from Astra 28.2°E on my recently purchased Walker combi TV.

I wonder if the next-generation Freesat 4k receiver will be available by then?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/26/2018-4k-tv-hdr

This Guardian article appears to infer that any U.K. FTV 4K coverage will be via IPTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

icdg wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/26/2018-4k-tv-hdr

This Guardian article appears to infer that any U.K. FTV 4K coverage will be via IPTV.

Europe may be a better bet FTV 4k, 19e Astra 1 and 13e Hotbird at moment there's are 20 odd 4k Demo channels and encrypted channels and few shopping channels in UHD.As for Sky UK no way, you get nothing from Sky for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTÉ could have shown the games on the revamped RTÉ Player in 4K if they weren't going through cutbacks in their own expenditure.

I don't think RTÉ will be able to broadcast in 4K for another few years yet if were are lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

• Advertisement

FA Cup was on the Iplayer in UHD from the Beeb for those who are interested.

Details of the BBC’s 4K World Cup coverage - streaming only, so for the U.K. only then, and even then, you’d better be quick clicking on that stream:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44308154

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RTÉ could have shown the games on the revamped RTÉ Player in 4K if they weren't going through cutbacks in their own expenditure.

I don't think RTÉ will be able to broadcast in 4K for another few years yet if were are lucky.

On the RTE player?

Not a hope. That infrastructure can't handle SD content.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

:D 40Mb/s required for the one channel ....... that could cause a lot of arguments in households around the UK when a WC match clashes with some 'must see' soap, especially for those with somewhat 'limited' connections. :D

• Advertisement

Can't understand why they don't consider a 4K stream via 28e

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

Schwanz wrote: »

Sky had blue planet 2 in uhd from the i player.. Maybe they might do something with world cup to.. Fecin i player on tv is region locked via ip so goosed.. Unless they do red button stream on freesat.. Which is just another chanel.. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Sky had blue planet 2 in uhd from the i player.. Maybe they might do something with world cup to.. Fecin i player on tv is region locked via ip so goosed.. Unless they do red button stream on freesat.. Which is just another chanel.. Pity

Can you install a smart DNS proxy on say a Samsung smart TV and use the I player?

Can you install a smart DNS proxy on say a Samsung smart TV and use the I player?

Please don't have our Mod closing us down.

4K TV unless you have Netflix or Sky Full with a second box for the UHD channel at the moment for me just isn't something I'd buy.

By now I'd have thought huge events such as Olympics, World cup etc would have been easily available FTA in 4K on 28e.

Shame really

Indeed, and I shouldn’t have to say for the second time today, there is absolutely no discussion about how to circumvent regional restrictions. Indeed given the restrictions of a non-regional kind that the BBC are putting on this stream - very much still experimental for them- you could go to all that trouble only to find you’re too late.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Schwanz wrote: »
    Freesat is a BBC/ITN baby so there is no incentive to make it FTA. And they don't have the Fressat Branded Hardware out there yet.

And it looks like UHD will be DRM protected.
    https://www.a516digital.com/2018/01/freesat-selects-intertrust-to-protect.html
    the main driver of UHD content will be via on-demand services on the latest generation of Freesat devices.

Hisense supposedly have a 4K app for their TV's but I can't see it on their UK site https://hisense.co.uk/world-cup-hub/world-class-ways-watch/ - [edit] looks like it's for USA customers only wit a FOX subscrition only :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,848 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

seems like Sky UK/ IRL isnt doing anything

Sky germany on the other hand is showing 25 games in UHD, after buying the rights from the public service broadcasters.
    https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2018/04/04/sky-deutschland-to-show-fifa-world-cup-2018-in-ultra-hd/

They did the deal there over 2 months ago, so you'd think that if Sky UK was up to anything they'd have a deal done by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Disappointing that in 2018 the world's biggest sporting event isn't readily available in 4k.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Disappointing that in 2018 the world's biggest sporting event isn't readily available in 4k.
    It is but then the experts say your eye can't perceive the difference between Full HD and 4k on screens below 55 inches.. I wonder how many homes have screens of 55 inch or above?
    Honestly while it feels better I'm not sure I can see much of a difference on skys premier league uhd coverage and bt sports full hd matchs. I watch on 55 inch isf calibrated lg oled

Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement

I’m pushed seeing the difference between Sky Sports HD and UHD, but my TV’s a bit smaller than 55”.

This is still a niche product, even for Sky (the Premier League and F1 are the only two sports rights you’ll see in UHD) and as for the PSBs, this really is still experimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

If you have a multi-satellite set up and a receiver that can decode h.265 video & AC3 audio, Turkey's TRT is broadcasting this year's World Cup and they have a FTA 4K channel on Turksat 3A at 42 East.

If it's going to be like the old TRT HD standalone channel back in the 2014 tournament then they'll likely be showing some games on the 4K channel this around - though back in 2014 a couple of games I watched on it had both Turkish and English audio streams with English commentary available (presumably an "international" version supplied through FIFA) but the listing on Lyngsat says that the current 4K channel has only a Turkish soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I have to say that I couldn't say I noticed too much of a difference between HD and UHD when watching the Champs league final. I can only really put that down to the TV doing a very good job at upscaling the HD broadcast. Mine's a 58".

I'm UK based so while I am somewhat interested in the iPlayer UHD broadcast of the WC, I did read that it won't play multi-channel sound. Now I do enjoy my soccer on the surround speakers so I'll probably stick with the standard BBC HD

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

Moved the dish to 42 east last night for a look and connected the cable to the new 4k TV and TRT 4K is coming in crystal clear.
    Hope there is an option for English commentary now.. (doubtful)

Poor form from BBC and ITV to not have this in FTA 4K

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

settopbox wrote: »
    Moved the dish to 42 east last night for a look and connected the cable to the new 4k TV and TRT 4K is coming in crystal clear.

That's a little unfair - there isn't much 4K content on satellites above the European skies other than TRT's channel, NASA TV, UHD1, a Hispasat test channel, some fashion & shopping channels and SES & Eutelsat demonstration streams. That's pretty much it without getting into pay-TV. Just one EBU member broadcasting it 4K FTA that I see.

The Beeb will have their limited 4K live streaming through iPlayer presumably so their (and UK ISP's) internet backhaul don't come to a grinding halt. Also worth remembering that the majority of the BBC's regional studios/newsrooms are still yet to be upgraded to HD let alone UHD! Finally, if ITV's viewing figures for its main channel are anything to go by they have more viewers watching in SD than HD by a ratio of roughly 2:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephend2000

settopbox wrote: »

Any news on English commentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

The commentary is Turkish (I Think) certainly not in English anyway :)

I took a look at it but tbh I don't see much of a quality difference, wider picture for sure so you see more but HD on BBC RTE is just as enjoyable.

Not World Cup, but the BBC will be doing UHD transmissions on Sky Q for Wimbledon (semi finals and final only). There are separate ROI feeds of the BBC channels that have the red button feature stripped out, so we may not get this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

icdg wrote: »
    Not World Cup, but the BBC will be doing UHD transmissions on Sky Q for Wimbledon (semi finals and final only). There are separate ROI feeds of the BBC channels that have the red button feature stripped out, so we may not get this.

I think the different feeds won’t be made available because they have stopped the red button feature but with SkyQ and UHD it seems like they use different software to enable people to just press select on the channel to bring you to the UHD feed.

Advertisement