Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Uber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

People want to avail of a more cost effective service. There's nothing wrong with that.

i never said there was.
    however, the more cost effective service should be that of it's own merrit, which uber isn't unfortunately.
    it also had to be pointed out for clarity that the black cabs cannot decide their own fares, they are regulated by transport for london, so are essentially not allowed to compete.

Exaggerate? That's the posters experience. Others here have given their feedback that quality of service tends to be better via a ride sharing service.

yes, exaggerate. his claim was.

Talk to...
    Topics
    Regional
    Adverts.ie
    Boards.ie

search
    Edit your avatar
    end of the road 7
    Notifications
    Private messages
    Followed threads
    Visitor messages
    Friend requests
    Profile settings
    Control panel
    Appearance Settings
    Edit your profile
    Edit email & password
    Find all my posts
    Help
    Mark all forums as read
    Logout
    My Forums
    My Forums
    You are not following any forums.
    Click the "Follow Forum" button at the top of a forum to start following it.
    Home Topics Motoring & Transport Commuting & Transport Uber
    Unfollow

Page 33 of 33
    « First
    <
    Go
    View First Unread
    Search this Thread
    Rate Thread
    28-07-2019, 19:48
    n97 mini

Adverts | Friends
    I've spent a lot of time in California and the traffic is nuts, all the way from San Francisco to LA (the worst on the planet) to San Diego.
    n97 mini is offline Report Post
    Reply with a quote Add this post to Multiquote Quick Reply Thank this post
    28-07-2019, 20:51
    AndrewJRenko

Adverts | Friends
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n97 mini View Post
    I've spent a lot of time in California and the traffic is nuts, all the way from San Francisco to LA (the worst on the planet) to San Diego.
    It's almost as if car-dominated transport planning doesn't really work.
    AndrewJRenko is offline Report Post
    Reply with a quote Add this post to Multiquote Quick Reply
    (2) thanks from:
    Remove Your Thanks
    DaCor, end of the road
    28-07-2019, 20:54
    n97 mini

Adverts | Friends
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
    It's almost as if car-dominated transport planning doesn't really work.
    I won't disagree. The major motor companies (eg GM) bought up a lot of the public transport and scrapped it. All well documented. And here we are.
    n97 mini is offline Report Post
    (2) thanks from:
    Remove Your Thanks
    AndrewJRenko, end of the road
    25-09-2019, 23:34
    usernamegoes

Adverts | Friends
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...ar-952724.html

Maybe now's the time for Uber-style ridesharing. Those who prefer professional driver can pay more for the expertise the rest of us can pay less for an amateur. :-)
    usernamegoes is offline Report Post
    26-09-2019, 03:35
    DaCor

Adverts | Friends
    Here we go.... Again

I had a post typed up and deleted it. I just can't be arsed this time around.

If you want to know why Uber are not in widespread use, read the thread, it's all there. The first few pages should do as every argument is repeated ad nauseum
    DaCor is online now Report Post
    26-09-2019, 19:20
    usernamegoes

Adverts | Friends
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaCor View Post
    Here we go.... Again

I had a post typed up and deleted it. I just can't be arsed this time around.

If you want to know why Uber are not in widespread use, read the thread, it's all there. The first few pages should do as every argument is repeated ad nauseum
    Thanks bud. Yeah, read the thread convinced Uber-style ridesharing should be allowed particularly after the fare increase coming.
    usernamegoes is offline Report Post
    Thanks from:
    makeorbrake
    27-09-2019, 11:21
    H3llR4iser

Adverts | Friends
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
    Uber and Lyft are the ‘biggest contributors’ to San Francisco’s traffic congestion, study says

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/8/18...increase-study

the headline is a little misleading - it seems that uber and lyft are responsible for most of the *increase* in traffic, rather than responsible for most traffic.
    Can't say I am surprised - I was in Chicago last May and at most times the vast majority of the traffic was made up of Uber drivers, I kid you not.

You could clearly see the sticker/identifier on the windshield...heck, some drivers there have an RGB led-lit version of it you could probably see from the rings of Saturn Big Grin

The service is insanely popular in parts of the US, I've seen few actual taxis there as opposed to NYC that's swarming with the yellow cabs; Talking to a couple of Uber drivers (when in Chicago...you know), they were saying they get loads of jobs at peak times, one of them even said there were "regulars" using the service daily to commute to and from work.

In Indianapolis, one driver said he'd get people to O'Hare airport, 200+ miles away, a few times a month...
    H3llR4iser is offline Report Post
    Today, 09:21
    magicbastarder

Adverts | Friends
    Mod: Cycling, ZTest
    Uber reportedly tells its staff not to disclose potential crimes
    Quote:
    According to The Washington Post, a number of Uber's Special Investigations employees have come forward to reveal that they are forbidden from contacting the police or advising victims to pursue legal advice following an instance of assault.
    https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/26/...afety-assault/
    magicbastarder is offline Report Post
    Thanks from:
    Remove Your Thanks
    end of the road
    Today, 09:32
    Sagats_knee

Adverts | Friends
    Here in London we use Uber regularly. It’s a great service, and cheaper than the extortionate black cab. The service is better, as Uber drivers tend not to moan and complain about everything like taxi drivers do. Not having to deal with the price or cash is also a big plus, and any issues with the trip Uber will usually refund you partially or in full.
    Sagats_knee is offline Report Post
    Thanks from:
    usernamegoes
    Today, 11:09
    end of the road

Adverts | Friends
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sagats_knee View Post
    Here in London we use Uber regularly. It’s a great service, and cheaper than the extortionate black cab.
    the extortionate due to tfl black cab.
    the black cab has it's fares regulated.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sagats_knee
    The service is better, as Uber drivers tend not to moan and complain about everything like taxi drivers do.

now, given the poster isn't going to be able to show that taxi drivers as a whole tend to moan as claimed, then the poster's statement is an over exaggeration.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

now, given the poster isn't going to be able to show that taxi drivers as a whole tend to moan as claimed, then the poster's statement is an over exaggeration.

If we're being pedantic, is your objection exaggeration or over exaggeration?

On the black cab fare being set stiffing competition, I agree it's a stupid rule. Regulations often destroy industry as they can't adapt unless the government enforce a monopoly to the detriment of consumers. Ireland has done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

i never said there was.
    however, the more cost effective service should be that of it's own merrit, which uber isn't unfortunately.
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. Consumers obviously see merit in it as they use it in droves where it's available.
    i never said there was.
    yes, exaggerate. his claim was.

It's incorrect to suggest that his experience has been 'exaggerated' if that's his experience. It's also the view of some others here who have had the same experience and provided similar feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Z z z z z Uber again Z z z z z

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Z z z z z Uber again Z z z z z

Insightful. You have an issue with the discussion of 'uber' on a thread titled 'uber'. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Insightful. You have an issue with the discussion of 'uber' on a thread titled 'uber'. :rolleyes:

Z z z z makeorbrake again Z z z z

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Z z z z makeorbrake again Z z z z

Classy

• Registered Users Posts: 36,128 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/2/19/21330906/uber-uk-supreme-court-employee-rights

U.K. Supreme Court rules that Uber drivers are, indeed, workers, confirming the decision made by three lower courts. The unanimous decision means that drivers are entitled to a minimum wage, paid holiday, and other legal protections. Judge George Leggatt said Uber drivers working time isn’t limited to time spent driving passengers, but also “includes any period when a driver is logged into the app and ready and willing to accept trips.”

Should have a knock on impact to the likes of Deliveroo, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

When trying to book an Uber for a scheduled time (and I've tried a few times over next couple of days to see), I only get an option for "Schedule Black" cab - is there a reason ordinary Uber cabs don't appear? I'm just doing standard dublin afternoon pick up type requests?

When trying to book an Uber for a scheduled time (and I've tried a few times over next couple of days to see), I only get an option for "Schedule Black" cab - is there a reason ordinary Uber cabs don't appear? I'm just doing standard dublin afternoon pick up type requests?

Apart from what you saw, Uber doesn't operate here

• Advertisement

Apart from what you saw, Uber doesn't operate here

If I pick "now" you get an option of a regular cab or a "black" cab service.

If I pick "now" you get an option of a regular cab or a "black" cab service.

The differentiation is around the quality and spec of the car. So you can choose a nicer taxi, should you prefer. But it's a regulated taxi either way.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The differentiation is around the quality and spec of the car. So you can choose a nicer taxi, should you prefer. But it's a regulated taxi either way.

Yes, I know, I was asking why I wasn't offered the standard cab when scheduling an UBER. edit, sorry, scheduling a taxi through the UBER app (some people got confused...)

I don't know what DaCor meant by "apart from what you saw, UBER doesn't operate here" - they use regular taxis all the time.

Anyway, in the end, I didn't schedule, just booked a live booking when I needed it, and the regular taxi option appeared.

So perhaps they don't allow scheduling except for the 'black cab' option.

Yes, I know, I was asking why I wasn't offered the standard cab when scheduling an UBER.

I don't know what DaCor meant by "apart from what you saw, UBER doesn't operate here" - they use regular taxis all the time.

Anyway, in the end, I didn't schedule, just booked a live booking when I needed it, and the regular taxi option appeared.

UBER don’t operate in Ireland. They have nothing to do with black cabs.

Sorry, I had assumed that people would know what I meant when I referred to them "operating in Ireland" in the sense that they use the services of regular cabs, and premium "black" cabs (rather than private cars).

They do operate in Ireland, in the sense that they engage with registered taxis and take payment on the UBER app etc. I presume you meant they don't offer the private car service here.

I shouldn't have referred to them as "uber cabs" as that obviously confused a couple of people, though I thought that they would understand "schedule black", vs. normal cabs.

Sorry, I had assumed that people would know what I meant when I referred to them "operating in Ireland" in the sense that they use the services of regular cabs, and premium "black" cabs (rather than private cars).

They do operate in Ireland, in the sense that they engage with registered taxis and take payment on the UBER app etc. I presume you meant they don't offer the private car service here.

I shouldn't have referred to them as "uber cabs" as that obviously confused a couple of people, though I thought that they would understand "schedule black", vs. normal cabs.

I mean, UBER do not operate in Ireland.

ah the joys of trying to talk to someone about Uber

I mean, UBER do not operate in Ireland.

Yep, heard you the first time, thanks. It would be great if you could elaborate as to what you mean by operate? I've already said that I know (and knew) that they aren't allowed operate in Ireland using private cars. But they do operate in Ireland in my view - given that they have contractual relationships with taxis and take payment, and offer bookings through the app.

ah the joys of trying to talk to someone about Uber

Not sure what you mean, if I was paranoid I would nearly take that as some form of sarcasm. But why would I get that in a forum where most of us try to help each other ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Uber DO operate in Ireland using licenced taxis and chauffeurs, in the UK they use licenced private hire cars (known here as Hackneys). They do not use unlicensed drivers or cars in the UK contrary to popular opinion they do not use regular people in their family car, though it may appear that way as licenced private hire do not have roof signs or signage, they do use regular part time people in their own cars in places like Australia and the USA.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's some terminology confusion here from "Uber Black" to "black cabs" I think. Totally different things.

Uber Black vehicles here are either registered taxis or registered limos, above a specific standard.

A Black Cab is a UK registered taxi; which Uber in the UK doesn't often used - they use hackneys, something we still have but are extremely rare.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    There's some terminology confusion here from "Uber Black" to "black cabs" I think. Totally different things.

Uber Black vehicles here are either registered taxis or registered limos, above a specific standard.

A Black Cab is a UK registered taxi; which Uber in the UK doesn't often used - they use hackneys, something we still have but are extremely rare.

I don't think so to be honest.

I think some people are being deliberately pedantic, when my post would have been quite clear to most people, bar people trying to be smartass by trying to link with UK black cabs and pedantically trying to insist that Uber doesn't operate here, which it does, albeit in a different way through arrangements with licenced taxis.

Anyway, I'll leave karma to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Thing is taxis in Ireland are of a far lower standard than the UK especially London. Drivers in Ireland don't have to anywhere near as rigorous a test as the knowledge. In Ireland I have that the standard of driving and directions from some taxi drivers is poor especially late at night.

Also the standard of vehicles in the UK is much higher all taxis there are wheelchair accessible at least in London but not the case here. I think personally it should be mandatory for all taxi drivers to buy a wheelchair accessible vehicle when they go to change vehicle. Minimum age for a taxi in Ireland is 10 years old so if it was made mandatory for all new taxis to be wheelchair accessible we would have a 100% wheelchair accessible taxi fleet within 10 years.

GT89 wrote: »
    Thing is taxis in Ireland are of a far lower standard than the UK especially London. Drivers in Ireland don't have to anywhere near as rigorous a test as the knowledge. In Ireland I have that the standard of driving and directions from some taxi drivers is poor especially late at night.

Also the standard of vehicles in the UK is much higher all taxis there are wheelchair accessible at least in London but not the case here. I think personally it should be mandatory for all taxi drivers to buy a wheelchair accessible vehicle when they go to change vehicle. Minimum age for a taxi in Ireland is 10 years old so if it was made mandatory for all new taxis to be wheelchair accessible we would have a 100% wheelchair accessible taxi fleet within 10 years.

what does any of that have to do with the topic at hand?

Yes, I know, I was asking why I wasn't offered the standard cab when scheduling an UBER. edit, sorry, scheduling a taxi through the UBER app (some people got confused...)

Apologies - I didn't fully understand your original question.

What you're asking is a good question - it would seem to me that scheduling taxis should be possible. I don't really know why they only allow "premium" options for scheduling tbh.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Apologies - I didn't fully understand your original question.

What you're asking is a good question - it would seem to me that scheduling taxis should be possible. I don't really know why they only allow "premium" options for scheduling tbh.

In all likelihood, (until recently ) many "normal taxi services" such as pre bookings have been hard to cater for (many drivers feeling it's not worth or safe working until CoVid 5 ends )

Given that Uber have a minority of taxis signed up to it ( majority seem to be with Free Now) , it's plausible that they just didn't have the cars to cover requests

• Registered Users Posts: 4 grahamdunne32

nice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Mr.S wrote: »
    Of course they operate in Ireland? Registered EU HQ is in Limerick and the Irish business is run out of Dublin.

Uber isn't just Uber X.

To be clearer, the standard Uber business model of people using their own cars to give lifts and charge people doesn't work here in Ireland. No-one can charge people for lifts unless they are a PSV driver in a PSV vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Yesterday I shared a uber from Camden to Luton Airport with an American couple. I paid for the uber and one their mobile numbers after we got out of the car. They didn't have mobile internet and we very late fot the flight to Rome.

Is there a way to split the bill after the journey?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Has uber arrived in Ireland ? A friend swears they got an Uber in Dundalk, Co Louth today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They operate by using fully licenced taxis, not by using any oul vehicle/driver as they do in other countries.

Advertisement