Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conspiracy about the flat earth conspiracy - Thread bans in OP

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bruno Mannheim

Question to anyone here:

If you stood on top of the Sugar Loaf on a clear day, do you think you could see the Mourne Mountains? It's probably about 80 miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on a clear day, we were able to easily see the mournes and the cooley peninsula from our office in leopardstown. our building was at about 90m and we were on the fourth floor.

someone posted a link (in the interesting maps thread, i think) to a site which will calculate sightlines for you. will try to find it.

How far then on a clear day from your office in Leopardstown do you think you could physically see uninterrupted and do you roughly know how high up you are from your office vantage point? Were you 90m up ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are calculators online which can tell you; if we were say 20m up in the building itself (i.e. at 110m above sea level), the sea level hoizon you could see from there would be 37km away. slieve donard is 850m, which would add another 104km to that, 141km in total.

slieve donard is 102km from the office.

its probably safe to say you can make out the top of Slieve Donard due to its height but maybe nothing below much more than half as chances are its going to be obscured by other mountains in the range

In saying that its possible then on a clear day to see up to 100km and maybe further

Do you think you would be able to see Holyhead or Wales? Its approximately the same distance?

• Administrators Posts: 13,772 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@Bruno Mannheim please do not post in this thread again before contacting me via PM.

Thanks.

it's not that i think you *would* be able to see wales from ireland - i *have* seen wales from dublin. it's easy to find photos online.

• Administrators Posts: 13,772 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Bruno Mannheim is banned for using an alternate account to evade a forum ban. Please do not reply to any of his posts. He has no right of reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

>>post deleted<<

@Mellor please see the mod Note just above your post asking posters not to respond to Bruno Mannheim's posts and why.

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

More private citizens flying into space to see what's really there.

They're making it really hard on themselves to keep flat earth a secret.

SpaceX launches first Arab woman on private flight to International Space Station | Science & Tech News | Sky News

Advanced simulators maybe?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You'd think that if they were trying to keep it secret about the earth being flat, they would stop doing things which requires it to be a globe. The more times they launch more people into space then the more people who have to be let in on the secret about it really being flat and somehow get them all to never speak about it.

Would be far easier if NASA just told us that it was impossible to launch rockets into space, say that the USSR lied about Sputnik, and then restrict anyone getting access to rocket fuel. Would be far easier to manage just not letting people travel into space and telling them there was nothing interesting up there to see until people get bored of looking at stars.

FWIW, here's one of the online tools which will show you what you can see from a given point.

https://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=53.34212&lng=-6.15132&azi=107.13&alt=-0.08&fov=110&cfg=s&name=

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Oudeicrat

I plugged the numbers into Walter Bislin's Advanced Earth Curvature Calculator (sorry I can't post a link as a newbie, but you can easily google it) and even at standard refraction it appears that the entire Notre Dame should be visible even with a little bit of the ground under it. So maybe the natural phenomenon that those other calculators don't consider is standard atmospheric refraction. Note that depending on atmospheric conditions local refraction can sometimes be much larger than "standard" and allow you see even farther beyond the earth curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Funny how some still disagree with something proved so long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not sure why this thread exists.

Anyone who says the earth is flat is either a boring troll or in need of urgent psychological intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Said it before, but I think the thread is a good way to demonstrate how most conspiracy theories are indistinguishable from stuff like this and Q anon.

The arguments are exactly the same and they all rely on the same logic as the folks who profess belief in these things.

The only defense raised against this is to speculate that flat earths must be part of a government conspiracy to discredit real conspiracy theories.

This was also brought up last time there was a feedback thread about conspiracy theories. I asked which conspiracy theories would be considered valid and permissible on this forum, but the issue was never addressed.

The real conspiracy is groups pushing flat earth just to sell merchandise to gullible fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement

Why would we check out a random video that you want us to. Tell us about the contents and why it’s so compelling. It’s usual conspiracy theorist BS to say watch this without any more info, and usually the conspiracy theorist hasn’t even watched it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

I think you're onto something there. I'm convinced they're trying to tap into the "alternative" merchandising market, the "so stupid it's funny" kind of thing.

Things like a crazy looking poster of a flat earth with a turtle on it saying "No more nukes, my shell cant take it", or a mug with the tagline "No global warming if there's no globe", or a t-shirt with the NASA on it with the NASA acronym meaning Not A Sphere A*sholes!!

That I got could get, pushing crazy in order to create an "alternative" market to make a few bob off of wacky merchandise. We've all bought stupid things for a laugh when we were young.

But anyone with a genuine belief in a flat earth is either a genuine moron, an out and out conspiracy theorist, or an escaped mental patient. Or a mixture of the three.

Advertisement