Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to start playing rugby. What should I do?

Options
  • 01-01-2018 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I'm 28 years old, been getting active over the last year (weights and cardio) after doing nothing through teens and 20's. Used to play hurling underage, but that was so long ago it hardly counts as playing team sports at this stage. I'm fairly naturally fit, definitely suited more to backs than forwards. I'm not even fully confident of the rules around rugby.

Would it worth my while even asking to join a team (age/lack of experience/knowledge/probably more susceptible to injury)?

I'm in Limerick so I have teams nearby.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I'm 28 years old, been getting active over the last year (weights and cardio) after doing nothing through teens and 20's. Used to play hurling underage, but that was so long ago it hardly counts as playing team sports at this stage. I'm fairly naturally fit, definitely suited more to backs than forwards. I'm not even fully confident of the rules around rugby.

Would it worth my while even asking to join a team (age/lack of experience/knowledge/probably more susceptible to injury)?

I started at 28, so don't let age hold you back. Most clubs will have a junior/casual team that's geared towards inexperienced/starting players of all ages. Just put your head down and try your best to take in the advice of coaches and team mates.

Be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Of course it's worth trying to join, just head down to your local club and they'll sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Where in Limerick are you based?
    I wouldnt worry about being confident on the laws of the game. Plenty playing for years dont know the laws. Yes it would be worth your while joining and playing the sport.
    Depends on where you are living but all senior clubs have 3 adult sides and the third team play in the Gleeson League which is quite a social league.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

Where in Limerick are you based? I wouldnt worry about being confident on the laws of the game. Plenty playing for years dont know the laws. Yes it would be worth your while joining and playing the sport. Depends on where you are living but all senior clubs have 3 adult sides and the third team play in the Gleeson League which is quite a social league.

I'm out in Monaleen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I'm out in Monaleen
    UL Bohemians in Annacotty will be closest. Try their website for more info. You would be looking for info on their thirds/j2 team as that would be the most suitable for starting in the sport

• Advertisement
Advertisement