Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

September 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Fuisce you can have homebirth under the HSE, think it depends on if there are community midwives available in your area and risk factors in your pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fuisce2

@ spottybananas - thanks im looking into it at the minute :)

@bee06 - thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fintan85

Thanks everyone I think I will go around 8weeks just for peace of mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Why are people so against early scans?

I had one privately at 8 weeks ish both times and found it quite reassuring. It's a very individual thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭babymakesthree

Re early scans... I had 2 very early scans last time for dating (5w, 7w) in the epu and then another scheduled scan around 12 weeks last pregnancy. There was really nothing to see in the early ones except a flicker of a heartbeat at 7w. The 12 week scan had so much more detail, we could hear the heartbeat properly and it was really reassuring.

In terms of public v semi/private care, I've gone public and found it to be brilliant (I'd save my money and spend it on extra private scans later in pregnancy and preparing for arrival!). September is apparently one of the busiest times of the year in maternity services so if you've got private or semi private care and the bed/room isn't available you don't get it but obviously the consultant care and appointments are the same. I wasn't keen at all last time to be in a public ward with the thoughts of so many people around but it was actually great, very relaxed and not overwhelming at all. I'd say it really depends on the hospital though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just wondering if anyone is considering getting the flu jab at this early stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

Congrats and welcome fintan85, babymakesthree, loalae and fuisce2!! Glad your scan went well Kathy22! Mine is week after next, can't come quick enough! I hate the keeping secrets phase, I feel like people can read me like a book... Last time I got so annoyed when a couple of people were like "I knew it!", ok cool, when you're done congratulating yourself are you going to congratulate me? So irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Welcome everyone looks like we are going to have a busy thread which is nice. 
    @Fintan85 sorry to hear about the bleed, I had 2 in my last pregnancy in and around 13-14 weeks and all was OK. I relly hope you are feeling better and get the reassurance you need soon :)

@Fuisce2 yes I went to the Rotunda private the last time and found them really great. Midwives and the care we got was fantastic. I had a few complications after delivery so was glad my consultant was there to fix things. We are going the same route as last time with the same consultant. When private you get an early scan as part of the 'package' if you want so we opted for it. You can't make out much of anything, baby is teeny but we got to see the heart flickering and got reassurance everything was as it should be. I am a worrier by nature so don't think I could wait until 12-13 weeks to know all was ok.

My consultant is away when I am 12 weeks so they offered to do my booking appointment and scan at either 11 weeks or 13 weeks. Not sure if 11 would be too early? I am booked in for 11 but think I might ring and move it until I am 13 weeks as feels a bit further along. 8 weeks 2 days today. I feel like this is the slowest month ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Parkviewbaby

Hi All,

Tentatively joining this group after miscarriage in August 17. I'm 10 weeks today. Very different this time around, feeling very anxious and afraid to get my hopes up. Don't think ill be able to relax until I hold my baby.

Very lucky that I've a friend who is a sonographer so I got a scan at 7 weeks, to try reassure me.

Hope everyone is feeling ok. I'm exhausted and nauseous but find the symptoms comforting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

Hi everyone, figured I'd be joining this group as well.

I found out last week Thursday that I am pregnant (first pregnancy)! I realised my period was quite late and that was after weeks of sore breasts which I didn't question either.

So according to the GP I am 7 weeks right now!! Current due date set on 12th September. We decided not to tell anyone until we've had scans and have the first trimester over with. Then it will be a big surprise for my mothers birthday.

I currently don't have many symptoms, sometimes feel a little nauseous, but that passes quite fast so it doesn't always feel quite real. I will have to go on blood thinners for medical reasons so I hope all will go well with those. And that eventually I can manage getting the labour that I'd want. So I have lots of questions for the doctors and appointments to come! :)

nessel - welcome and congrats!

parkviewbaby - welcome and congrats to you as well! im afraid ive no advice to give as this is my first 'rodeo' but hope we can all help you feel a bit more reassured in here. anytime you need a chat just holler at us.

Kathy22 - Thanks! I dont know if we can afford private, calling my insurance tomorrow to see what they will/won't cover so deciding after that. My biggest concern is getting some tests done but afaik they can't be done until 10-12 weeks anyway so I'm going to wait! Very exciting / nerve wrecking time though! I'd say to wait until the 13 weeks if you're able! Not sure if you can see as much at week 11 as you can at 12??

I've decided against the homebirth after speaking to a WONDERFUL lady today (in charge of hse midwives) as there's an increased risk to first time babies with homebirth. So, hospital it is and I'll revisit the homebirth next time :) She really made me feel better, it was so nice to talk to someone!

Has anyone any experience in the Coombe? They 'do' water births which really appeal to me because I've a back injury but I can't ask any of my female friends about it yet because it's too early and I've to decide on a hospital pretty soon....

OH and funny story - I met a woman today to buy some second hand maternity clothes (i know i'm super super early but already can't fit into most of my tshirts!). It turns out she's a sister to a friend of mine. CRAP. :eek: And I realised too late (didn't twig) sooo had to beg her not to tell anyone. Hopefully she keeps her word or half the town will know before our parents do! I did think it was a great example of 'small Ireland' though :) Hope you all can avoid it happening to ye :)

Welcome parkview baby and nessel

Eek fuisce!

I'm keeping totally schtum for now, not even joining a Facebook group for fear of being recognised! Maybe a bit paranoid but small town Ireland us alive and well

I'll probably tell close family around 10/11 weeks as I'll see them all in person and I can't imagine I'll be able to keep it quiet. We don't live close to any family so I'd like it be in person. Can't wait to tell them, I know they'll be thrilled

I'm supposed to fly in early March when I'll be 11 weeks, I know flying in late pregnancy is a no-no, and I'll check with GP at my next apt but has anyone flown (approx 3 hours) around that stage? Any advice or tips welcome!

Welcome parkview baby and nessel

Eek fuisce!

I'm keeping totally schtum for now, not even joining a Facebook group for fear of being recognised! Maybe a bit paranoid but small town Ireland us alive and well

I'll probably tell close family around 10/11 weeks as I'll see them all in person and I can't imagine I'll be able to keep it quiet. We don't live close to any family so I'd like it be in person. Can't wait to tell them, I know they'll be thrilled

I'm supposed to fly in early March when I'll be 11 weeks, I know flying in late pregnancy is a no-no, and I'll check with GP at my next apt but has anyone flown (approx 3 hours) around that stage? Any advice or tips welcome!

I know! typical eh? :) We're probably telling at 8 weeks because a)i cant keep it in much longer b)if we did miscarry (touch wood) i'd be telling people anyway so this way it's a nice surprise and c) it's my mother in laws birthday and she's terminal and has been really down recently so we're hoping it'll give her a lift and help her focus on the future a bit ya know? SOOO exciting though - i keep watching pregnancy reveal videos on youtube lol I'm sure everyone will be thrilled for all of us :)

Flying in pregnancy is fine, the only reason they don't like you doing it in late pregnancy is in case you go into labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I flew to NY at 10 weeks. I made sure to drink loads of water and I didn’t eat the airplane food because it always makes me feel sick anyway. I got up and walked around regularly as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Hey guys!! Glad to be here. Almost 6 weeks.... I think!! :)

I flew to Thailand on my last pregnancy at 9 weeks and was so nervous to go but the nurses in Holles st told me not to miss such an amazing trip and reassured me and two flights each way long trip but was absolutely fine for me.

Good luck to everyone!

Ladies, do any of you know if it is okay to eat pineapple??
    I got a call from the hospital , to go up Thursday to check is eveything ok,fingers and toes crossed that all is okay

I'm haven pain in my hips, but I am double jointed An have hyper mobility on al joints so I'm hoping this is the discomfort I'm feeling!

As anyone ever gone through pregnancy with hyper mobility??

Of course it's OK to eat pineapple :D I have slight hypermobility and have had 2 pregnancies. I managed my pelvic pain with regular trips to osteopath and deep tissue masseuse which I do anyway, but mine is quite minor.

Of course it's OK to eat pineapple :D I have slight hypermobility and have had 2 pregnancies. I managed my pelvic pain with regular trips to osteopath and deep tissue masseuse which I do anyway, but mine is quite minor.

Thanks for that!! I am the extreme side of hyper mobility, as to which it's nearly in the disability cycle
    I dislocate joints frequently so I'm hoping this hip:back ache is all linked

It's mainly there when I am sitting

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Have my early scan on Monday ladies and im so excited/nervous. Should be 9 weeks then so due very early Sept.

Im due my normal first scan in hospital mid feb but just for reassurance I decided to book a private scan as I cant wait til mid feb to be sure eveythings ok! No reason to think otherwise, just like to put my mind at ease.

Has anyone had a scan at 9 weeks and what can you see/hear?

• Advertisement

Sorry for the Abundance of questions but, is brown discharge normal at 6 weeks ? I haven't a clue so I'm hoping someone out here knows

Meeeee79 I had one at 8 weeks this time and one at 9 weeks last time and they were both pretty much the same to be honest. You can see the baby but it is tiny and when you zoom in it gets fuzzy. We got to see and hear the heartbeat.

My doctor measured the baby and confirmed my due date. He confirmed everything measured and was as it should be. Genuinely you don't see a whole lot but they can confirm the pregnancy is healthy and as it should be.

Fintan85 I had brown light blood twice in my last pregnancy, went in to get checked and doc said not to worry too much unless it is red. There is so many things changing and shifting in early pregnancy it can dislodge old blood.

Thanks Kathy22, cant wait now. Main thing I want to know is just that everything is going as it should and would love to actually hear the heartbeat not just see a little flicker! But once everything is ok Ill have nothing to complain about!

Fintan85 - I had light brown spotting around 7 weeks for about 3 days and it has stopped now. It is quite common but also not something to be ignored I suppose

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Fintan, I have got that on all three of mine at 6/7 weeks.Has been a good outcome each time but I always go in to the emergency room in the maternity hospital anyway - make sure everything is where its supposed to be, and there's nothing else going on.In general once it's not red I am not too worried but I like to get it checked out anyway.Generally they do a scan there then refer on to the Early Pregnancy Unit for a more detailed scan 10 days later.I am in Dublin.

I am not hypermobile but I get fierce hip pains on and off during the first 12 weeks-usually all the ligaments etc stretching.

Do let us know how it goes, I'm very tempted to book an early scan around 9/10 weeks. Waiting to see when my booking apt at hospital will be and I'll judge it then. If it's around 12 weeks I'll hold out but if it's more like 14+ I'll get a private scan for reassurance.
    I had a letter from the hospital today to say my referral was received and I'm in the waiting list for my appt with them. Hopefully I won't be waiting long. Everything seems to be going so slowly this time around.
    I have another GP appt on 12th Feb at 8+2, does anyone know if they'd try a Doppler at it or just check the usual bp, blood, urine etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BB2011

Got my letter for the hospital for the end of Feb. I'll be 12 weeks. Only went to the doctor last week so they responded very quickly. The sickness is definately easing off now but I still don't feel quite right. And I'm still wrecked majority of the time. I'm getting a bit fed up and down about it but hopefully will feel more like myself soon. Is anyone taking pregnacare or other vitamins? I'm wondering if it will help with the tiredness. I'm not eating great at the minute. Mostly crackers and toast which isn't ideal and probably not helping.

Babymakesthree- 8 weeks is very early for a doppler. On my 1st baby the nurse in my GP was hesitant to try it on me at 12 weeks but she managed to find it which was lovely as I hadn't been for my scan yet. So it will prob just be the usual checks!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 supersiren

Hi all nervously joining. Was at the doctors today for unrelated issue and she did a pregnancy test low and belold it was a faint line:) so I came home and did two more and they are very strong lines. I had done a test last sat and was negative. period was few days late but was late last month too so didn’t put any pass on it. According to dates due 20th September..2nd baby for me. My first will be nearly 3 when this baby arrives fingers crossed. Last pregnancy was great..did dominos in Wexford and they were brilliant. No symptoms as of yet. Hope everyone is doing great and look forward to hearing all about our pregnancies. X

What a lovely surprise supersiren, congratulations! Are you over the shock yet ��
    You're lucky not to have any symptoms, nausea has been awful for me the last 2 days, belly is in knots!

Thanks babymakesthree was a little bit of a shock I came off the pill in may but only really started trying since October so happened quick enough. I suppose since I had a negative sat two weeks ago I really didn’t expect it but was a lovely surprise for everyone:) I didn’t really have symptoms on my first either slight nausea and very tired at times but I didn’t realise I was pregnant last time until 7 weeks so hopefully this pregnancy will be plain sailing too fingers crossed. I’m 5 weeks 5 days according to dates.
    What a lovely surprise supersiren, congratulations! Are you over the shock yet ��
    You're lucky not to have any symptoms, nausea has been awful for me the last 2 days, belly is in knots!

That's great, eh and I are both thinking this one is a girl (have a ds already) because of the nausea (had none at all last time), don't mind either way once it's healthy but looking forward to this feeling subsiding

• Advertisement

Any of the second time mams have a c section first time? I keep getting little twinges of pain that I never got first time and I'm assuming it's something to do with having a big scar that wasn't there before!

Congrats Supersiren. Lovely surprise :)

Can't help you there firebird, didn't have a c section. Lots of stretching going on with your uterus so i wouldn't be surprised. Hope your feeling ok.

I am beyond bloated, my digestive system seems to have shut down. Really uncomfortable and i keep getting gassy pains in my stomach. Also either getting a cold or am stuffed up due to hormones. Tiredness is unreal. I fall asleep with my little guy every evening putting him to sleep. Roll on trimester 2.

Kathy22 wrote: »
    I am beyond bloated, my digestive system seems to have shut down. Really uncomfortable and i keep getting gassy pains in my stomach. Also either getting a cold or am stuffed up due to hormones. Tiredness is unreal. I fall asleep with my little guy every evening putting him to sleep. Roll on trimester 2.

Same! after my non symptoms last week I am feeling it full force now. Near constant strong nausea and low appetite but still somehow very bloated. Im wrecked all the time but can barely sleep. This is so much worse than the first time. :(

My symptoms pretty much stopped yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks, no nausea, no soreness in boobs etc. It made me really uneasy thinking there was something wrong but it's all back again today with a bang (am actually really reassured by it!) oh roll on 12 weeks! Or a scan!

My symptoms pretty much stopped yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks, no nausea, no soreness in boobs etc. It made me really uneasy thinking there was something wrong but it's all back again today with a bang (am actually really reassured by it!) oh roll on 12 weeks! Or a scan!

This thread will be a much happier place from mid feb onwards when we all start hitting 12 weeks! :P

Had my hospital appointment today and thank god all is ok, had an internalscan as im only 7weeks tomorrow
    The relief that everything is ok for now is overwhelming!
    Please god il sleep tonight x
    hope you are all doing well too x

Aw so great to hear Finatan85 you must be so delighted!

I cant wait now for mine Monday, Im 9 weeks though so should be able to do abdominal.

Id say the internal is nasty enough but well worth it to get the piece of mind and know everything ok with the little one!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's surprisingly not as nasty as you would think meeeeh.
    Although I practically burst out laughing the first time I had one when they stuck a condom on top of the wand before eh....inserting it(for lubrication I think).It all seemed totally weird!!!!!!!!

shesty wrote: »
    It's surprisingly not as nasty as you would think meeeeh.
    Although I practically burst out laughing the first time I had one when they stuck a condom on top of the wand before eh....inserting it(for lubrication I think).It all seemed totally weird!!!!!!!!

Hilarious!!! Wouldn't have kept a straight face myself!

• Advertisement

It wasn't too bad I was so nervous overall that I just wanted it done!
    My husband on the other hand was about to pass out!
    Only 5weeks till my next scan so I'm delighted An can relax now

One very random question ladies,,, dying hair when pregnant... any opinions?

Oh, that brings back memories of early scans on previous pregnancy lol! Very weird!!

Unsure about hair dye (I've been unmercillesly plucking a few stray greys lately) but I'll steer clear just in case

More annoyed I've had to cut out my face products with Vit A/Retinol in them

More annoyed I've had to cut out my face products with Vit A/Retinol in them

I asked my beautician about this and she said topical vit a is ok and used it herself all through both her pregnancies.

Im still in 2 minds though as the general guidelines are to be cautious

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DiDi_1985

Hi everyone. I'm also due in September. I have questions about maternity benefit. Do I ask here or somewhere else? I'm new here.

Hi everyone. I'm also due in September. I have questions about maternity benefit. Do I ask here or somewhere else? I'm new here.

Congrats! Exciting times! I have no idea about benefits sorry, to be honest haven't even thought that far
    Somebody may be able help you out though

fintan85 wrote: »

Congrats! Exciting times! I have no idea about benefits sorry, to be honest haven't even thought that far
    Somebody may be able help you out though

Thanks. You too😊. I had a baby 8 months ago. I haven't returned to my job yet and I had a high risk pregnancy with her and now I'm five weeks pregnant and don't know if I'll be able to return before I give birth. I'm wondering if I'll still get maternity pay if I stay out on illness benefit. If anyone knows, Google isn't telling me anything 😊 thanks x

• Advertisement

Hi DiDi, congratulations! As far as I know the maternity Beefit is calculated on minimum number of contributions in the previous year. Your maternity benefit for your 8month old would have been calculated based on your contributions in 2016 and your contributions for your 2018 baby are based on your 2017 contributions. You may have enough contributions from work in early 2017. The citizens information website has info about the contributions but it's probably best to call the maternity benefit office (I think it's in Sligo or Donegal?) to check because your situation is unusual.

I hope this pregnancy is easier on you, wishing you a happy and healthy one!

Hi DiDi, congratulations! As far as I know the maternity Beefit is calculated on minimum number of contributions in the previous year. Your maternity benefit for your 8month old would have been calculated based on your contributions in 2016 and your contributions for your 2018 baby are based on your 2017 contributions. You may have enough contributions from work in early 2017. The citizens information website has info about the contributions but it's probably best to call the maternity benefit office (I think it's in Sligo or Donegal?) to check because your situation is unusual.

I hope this pregnancy is easier on you, wishing you a happy and healthy one!

Thanks so much. Good luck to you too. I'm going to go into citizens advice on Monday. Hopefully they will know 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Hi Ladies,

Congrats to all expecting. We just found out that we are expecting our first (completely unplanned) so still pretty shocked. Expected Due date September 26th.

My question is too anyone on their 2nd+ baby. I went to see the doctor this morning and went through everything. Going through my family history and my mam dying from a pulmonary embolism because of DVT was a big red flag obviously so she advised me not to fly. Heres the issue, we are going to the states at the end of March with my boyfriends daughter ( all booked) and i dont want to disappoint her. We are in two minds bout what to do. I'll be just under 12 weeks when we fly.

Has anyone flown during pregnancy before when there was a history of DVT in the family??

Hi all hope everyone is doing well. Nausea has kicked in big time the last few days and appetite has gone. Have a craving for toasted cheese sambos though. Had appointment with my doctor yesterday so she will send details off to hospital. Hopefully will get to go to dominos again. Has anyone got the flu shot or going to get it? Hope all are well X

@naid23, sorry can't help you on the DVT/flying conundrum but personally I would probably not risk it if the doctor said not to..

@supersiren, I'm all about savory food at the moment. Can't even look at chocolate!! I did get my flu shot but I didn't know I was pregnant at the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement