Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slow death of forums *see OP for Admin warning and update 28/02/18*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Beasty wrote: »
    I think one of the problems with AH, and it's something that's relevant across the site, is that people are always looking to take offence.

I think that is a huge issue for sure and it was something which started the downfall of this forum in my view. Eight years back you would often see that there was around 2500 'currently active users' in AH. Now, you don't see anything like that. I know things change and message boards aren't as popular as they were, but I'm not so sure that tells the whole story tbf. Clearly there was something users liked here, and which changed, for them to vacate in the numbers that they did and, in my view, Beasty has highlighted what I feel was one of the main contributing factors there and that was that users began taking offence and demanding that something was done about it and quite often, it was.
    The sheer numbers of posts being reported makes it difficult for mods to judge where to draw the line.

With respect, I don't see why. Personally abusive posts are often ignored and yet trivial nonsense that could easily be dealt with via a thread warning, result in bans. No matter how many reported posts there are, I fail to see why or how it could cause the level of inconsistency we see. Tbh, it screams lack of communication to me. You see some great moderation calls on one thread, where each side gets treated the same, none of it ott, and then half an hour later on another thread you'll see some crazy calls which make zero sense with regards to consistency and fairness.
    I accept there has been additional scrutiny applied and action taken on the back of the increasing number of reports, but in my view it's as much the userbase driving that as any of the "powers that be".

But the userbase used to take their lead primarily from what they saw moderated. I seen this post recently asking users to stop reporting posts trying to get other users banned and while I thanked it, I do think it was telling that such a post was felt warranted in the first place. Users shouldn't feel that reporting posts would have an affect unless that is, the user they are reporting has clearly broken a rule. Don't be under any illusion that there aren't users that know fine well that if they report en masse, and get the right mod working a shift, that they will get their way, as there truly are.
    I do think though that running a "Current Affairs" forum alongside AH is worth a try. Hopefully that will allow AH to become more of a "fun" place again, while some of the more serious topics can still be discussed in a new forum with a little more "freedom" and "light-heartedness" than we currently see in the 2 Politics forums

It's too late, Beasty. Maybe back around 2011 there was enough traffic for that but not now and the name no longer fits what After Hours has become. A Flutt thread would no longer be welcome here and Feeky has kids of his own, time to move on. What the name would even conjure up in the mind of a newbie wouldn't be anything to close to what they'd find here now and so it's really false advertising in a sense. Just rename it 'General Discussion' and tagline it as is deemed necessary. Just my opinion of course.
    Putinbot wrote: »
    I like your Current affairs idea but it doesn't seem to be getting much support.

Didn't when The Muppet had it either but I think he made some good points at the time, many of which would still be relevant today, 13 years later.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Current Affairs can be discussed in all those forum so anyone that has an interest ina particular current affair has to browse through all those to see the topics being discussed . Would it not be beneficial to have one General Forum to discuss all current non political Issues.

I have an idea. Tags for AH. Just 2 of them. Each thread will be tagged either "fun" or "serious"

Good idea, but I think it would work much better in a 'General Discussion' forum.

Maybe have an [After Hours] thread tag option for old time sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Beasty has highlighted what I feel was one of the main contributing factors there and that was that users began taking offence and demanding that something was done about it and quite often, it was.

You also had a few past mods in there who decided the place should be an extension of their own purse clutching personality. I think a lot of businesses are figuring out that in trying to appease the whingers and perpetually offended minority you will never satisfy them but you will drive eveyone else away. It's box office poison

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Discodog wrote: »
    But the numbers are bound to decline. There wasn't the competition in the good old days that there is now

I don't doubt that the landscape changed, but things never stay the same and are constantly evolving. The post I was replying to referred more to content as opposed to numbers on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I've just read a thread about Travellers and have reported the most racist posts. Mainly the really nasty ones - the kind of posts that, if they referred to any other group, would probably result in a ban. I wonder if anything will be done, or if I'm just wasting the mods' time.

I've just read a thread about Travellers and have reported the most racist posts. Mainly the really nasty ones - the kind of posts that, if they referred to any other group, would probably result in a ban. I wonder if anything will be done, or if I'm just wasting the mods' time.

Feb 2018 join date "Hi everyone I'm new here and I've just gone through an entire thread to report every post that I don't like, I just know I'm going to be a valuable asset to this community"

F**k... give it a few years and they'll make you a mod :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

After Hours evolved over the years based on the content creators.
    Basically, it used to be a case where someone would start a thread about for example how they tasted their partners fart. The thread would evolve into the different tastes of farts people have sampled and the most unusual locations of tasting.

Nowadays if someone started a thread on tasting someones fart by accident, the person would be blamed for being in the wrong place, insensitive to the plight of people with bowel conditions and something about immigration sprinkled in.

There is no way to resolve this. Opening a new forum to shift the problem to is not the way, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong on that.

Posters in AH just need to lighten up and not come in for a scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Nowadays if someone started a thread on tasting someones fart by accident, the person would be blamed for being in the wrong place, insensitive to the plight of people with bowel conditions and something about immigration sprinkled in.

Not all the blame, if thats the correct word, lies with the users either.
    Such a thread would never survive in the wild for more than a few minutes before the SJW mods come down on it.

Bambi wrote: »
    Feb 2018 join date "Hi everyone I'm new here and I've just gone through an entire thread to report every post that I don't like, I just know I'm going to be a valuable asset to this community"

F**k... give it a few years and they'll make you a mod :D

I'm not new here, but what has my join date got to do with anything? Why do people have to make cheap, shitty digs like that?

There are lots of posts that I 'don't like' in that thread. I only reported the worst ones. Do you have a problem with that? Do you think, for example, it's acceptable to call Travellers "knackers"? Do you think it's acceptable to call for them to be "removed from the face of the earth"?

I'm not new here, but what has my join date got to do with anything? Why do people have to make cheap, shitty digs like that?

There are lots of posts that I 'don't like' in that thread. I only reported the worst ones. Do you have a problem with that? Do you think, for example, it's acceptable to call Travellers "knackers"? Do you think it's acceptable to call for them to be "removed from the face of the earth"?

Isn't a knacker just a criminal traveller? If it's used in that context, it's grand. Though there's no travellers where I'm from so I'm not so hot on what I can and cannot say.

As to the second one, if you really think he was trying to incite someone into firing a bunch of travellers into space, contact the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Whats wrong with "knackers"?
    I would wager that more of them dispose of dead animals than "travel", so arguably its a more accurate description.

BTW, I think you should have said "itinerants" if you wanted to maintain your lead position on the high horse...

• Advertisement

Isn't a knacker just a criminal traveller? If it's used in that context, it's grand. Though there's no travellers where I'm from so I'm not so hot on what I can and cannot say.

As to the second one, if you really think he was trying to incite someone into firing a bunch of travellers into space, contact the guards.

Advocating the deaths of ethnic groups that you don't like used to be unacceptable on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Advocating the deaths of ethnic groups that you don't like used to be unacceptable on Boards.

"Deaths"?
    I think you interpreted that incorrectly.
    The just OP wants to afford them a place on Ireland's newly formed space programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Do you think, for example, it's acceptable to call Travellers "knackers"?

Why not? It's what they did/do.

Have you an issue with them being called "Tinkers" for example? Because, again, it's what they did/do.

I wonder, if knacker is for dead horse removal, and tinker is short for one who works with tin, I wonder what "removes power tools from locked sheds" should be abbreviated to?

"Thieving gypsies, unworthy of any protected status; a law unto themselves and morally empty - should be removed from the face of the earth."

If you want to go turning that into a call for ethnic cleansing, instead of the rant you know it was, you're just coming across as a moaner. We know you know what he meant, and we know you're pretending to not know so you can get your daily dose of outrage. You guys are just addicted to this feeling and go chasing it.

Maybe one of the mods might clarify whether it's ok to use racist terms like 'knacker' on Boards nowadays, and whether we're free to adopt the language of the Nazis when talking about ethnic groups that we happen to dislike.

Maybe one of the mods might clarify whether it's ok to use racist terms like 'knacker' on Boards nowadays, and whether we're free to adopt the language of the Nazis when talking about ethnic groups that we happen to dislike.

Why not go into the thread itself and defend their ethnic culture?

I'm pretty sure the Nazi's never called anyone a Knacker :confused:

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the Nazi's never called anyone a Knacker :confused:

I don't know if you're being willfully obtuse, or...

Never mind.

I don't know if you're being willfully obtuse, or...

Never mind.

I'm bestowing upon you the appropriate level of engagement that your high horseying warrants

I would genuinely love to hear the opinion of a mod on this. Is it acceptable to say 'knacker' on Boards? Are other racial epithets acceptable now too?

Maybe we could even start calling racists 'racists' without getting infracted or thread banned...

• Advertisement

I would genuinely love to hear the opinion of a mod on this. Is it acceptable to say 'knacker' on Boards? Are other racial epithets acceptable now too?

Maybe we could even start calling racists 'racists' without getting infracted or thread banned...

Perhaps online forums aren't the place for you if you cry out to mods instead of just clicking Ignore next to posters you don't like.

Perhaps online forums aren't the place for you if you cry out to mods instead of just clicking Ignore next to posters you don't like.

All I'm doing is asking them a simple question.

All I'm doing is asking them a simple question.

No, you're not. If you wanted to ask the question, you'd PM a mod.

All you're doing is seeking outrage, which is fitting for the thread and what posters like yourself are doing to After Hours.

No, you're not. If you wanted to ask the question, you'd PM a mod.

All you're doing is seeking outrage, which is fitting for the thread and what posters like yourself are doing to After Hours.

Any one of them could answer on here if they wanted to. I'm sure they will.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Over 7,000 references in AH alone, although the search function does include references to variations of the word such as "knackered"

Now yes many people find it an offensive term, and some consider it racist. When we talk about the "slow death of forums", one of the biggest factors highlighted is the relentless move towards a more politically correct world

Just to add, it's not a term I would use, but equally when it comes to moderation context rather than the exact word(s) used is more important

Any one of them could answer on here if they wanted to. I'm sure they will.

You'd get better answers if you posted in the current travellers thread. You don't have any posts there but have apparently trawled it to report posts.

Beasty wrote: »
    Over 7,000 references in AH alone, although the search function does include references to variations of the word such as "knackered"

Now yes many people find it an offensive term, and some consider it racist. When we talk about the "slow death of forums", one of the biggest factors highlighted is the relentless move towards a more politically correct world

Just to add, it's not a term I would use, but equally when it comes to moderation context rather than the exact word(s) used is more important

Yes, context matters. But in the very specific context of calling members of the Travelling community 'knackers', is it acceptable on Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,378 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yes, context matters. But in the very specific context of calling members of the Travelling community 'knackers', is it acceptable on Boards?

Report it love and let the mods take action. If nothing happens theres your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyone that behaves like a knacker can be called a knacker. A knacker is a scumbag. Act like a scumbag, be prepared to be branded a knacker. Settled fella acting like a knacker? You’re a knacker. Travelling fella acting like a knacker? You’re a knacker. That’s what it is to me anyway. As beasty said, context.

• Advertisement

By the community, mostly. By the site officially, unlikely.

You have to remember that just because they're an ethnic group doesn't mean we look at them as a different race, so drop the race card stuff.

The word "knacker" refers to a backwards piece of shlt who is a criminal lowlife.. Some of these "knackers" happen to be part of the traveller community in Ireland, but the word is often used for people who have nothing to do with travellers. Usually people from rough estates who are a scourge on others.

To you, that might sound racist or whatever. I don't expect that you'll look for the nuance in my description.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement