Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slow death of forums *see OP for Admin warning and update 28/02/18*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Of course, the beautiful irony here is that now this thread is constantly on the first page (taking from fresh threads) and god forbid any new people clicked in here and read this absolute clusterfcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Omackeral wrote: »

4 Just click on Page 2 of After Hours. It doesn't take all that much effort. You've come into AH, it's not a giant step to go to on a page.

Drop off rates are a fact of life. The reality is the best majority of people just don't bother, unless they are specially looking for something, which most users are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If people aren't bothered to bother clicking one little button to see the next list of threads then I dunno.

I guess just tidy up the stickies for now (very easily done) and see if that frees up front page space from here on and see if that has any positive knock on effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭gifted

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    If you're modding the thread you could always do something about it... I'm not being a smart arse. It's been done to death at this stage.

That's not very helpful, Beasty has being very active and patient in this thread since the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Zaph wrote: »
    what the developers do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Feedback 1. Ban match threads. You want to discuss a match, discuss it in your own super thread.. here's a current example of why they a nothing but a troll fest

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057826876/7/#post105750057

Feedback 2. Remodel boards so posters post under their own name and picture. All can apply for a free name change and keep their precious join date. They can have an option to link their new account to their old anonymous posts. It would help with chat/arguments getting out of hand if you knew who you were actually taking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Peatys wrote: »
    Feedback 1. Ban match threads. You want to discuss a match, discuss it in your own super thread.. here's a current example of why they a nothing but a troll fest

Feedback 2. Remodel boards so posters post under their own name and picture. All can apply for a free name change and keep their precious join date. They can have an option to link their new account to their old anonymous posts. It would help with chat/arguments getting out of hand if you knew who you were actually taking to.

Second idea is terrible, it will lead to doxing and what not.

First idea is okay but part of the charm of the soccer forum is other teams fans opinions, there are plenty of dedicated teams forum online.

Though the soccer forum has gone a little downhill, men in their 30s/40s crying to teenager mods because a bold boy said something not nice about their teams.

Oranage2 wrote: »

First idea is okay but part of the charm of the soccer forum is other teams fans opinions, there are plenty of dedicated teams forum online.

Though the soccer forum has gone a little downhill, men in their 30s/40s crying to teenager mods because a bold boy said something not nice about their teams.

Why are only boards afraid of doxxing? People on Facebook don't seem to worry about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Why are only boards afraid of doxxing? People on Facebook don't seem to worry about it

It's an anonymous forum. If your plan is to kill the site in one swift move then that'd work just fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed, though on Arsebook you chose "friends" and can remove people if they start to irritate you. Non anon Boards would be like a completely open and public Facebook. Plus you'd have to go Year Zero with most people as they wouldn't want their posting history searchable under their new real name. Never mind the obvious point; why bother? You'd just have a less attractive sprawling Arsebook.

I also have the strong suspicion that soon enough more people will want to dial back from their real names online, because of the intrusion and heavy tracking for marketing more services and crap you don't need and will want to be more anonymous again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Indeed, though on Arsebook you chose "friends" and can remove people if they start to irritate you. Non anon Boards would be like a completely open and public Facebook. Plus you'd have to go Year Zero with most people as they wouldn't want their posting history searchable under their new real name. Never mind the obvious point; why bother? You'd just have a less attractive sprawling Arsebook.

I also have the strong suspicion that soon enough more people will want to dial back from their real names online, because of the intrusion and heavy tracking for marketing more services and crap you don't need and will want to be more anonymous again.

True, never thought of the closed circle v the openness of boards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

True, never thought of the closed circle v the openness of boards.
    Now it is true a few people would just love the attention of an open setup like that, but they'd be a minority and soon enough they'd not have an audience. Thank Christ. :D The internet has enough existing notice boxes to going on with.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Omackeral wrote: »
    Of course, the beautiful irony here is that now this thread is constantly on the first page (taking from fresh threads) and god forbid any new people clicked in here and read this absolute clusterfcuk.

That crossed my mind yesterday. If a new member saw this on the front page they'd run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oranage2 wrote: »

I agree with you, the charm of the soccer forum is other teams fans opinions on things.
    I don't think the soccer forum has gone down hill myself, a few very good mods there now who are active when needed, and there's really no more whining by users than there was 10 years ago, well not that I've seen. The scamps in the United and Liverpool thread always generate more "discussion" purely through weight of numbers. Those loveable rogues.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Good news. I have noticed a definite upswing in activity on Boards in 2018. I checked all the forums hourly to verify this. And the Mods seem to have adopted a more kindly approach for the New Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Wot? You mean you won't get a yellow card for a simple mistake now?:eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I think you should take up feedback about the Soccer forum with the soccer mods in their annual end of season feedback thread. After all, that's the purpose of their feedback thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Nothing causes self-censorship more than having to use real names online. The whole point of forums like this is to allow people more freedom to express their true selves without that filter kicking in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Hi all, I’d like to apologise for dominating the thread yesterday and my dog-with-a-bonedness. I usually hate that myself. I have fairly intense stuff going on in my life and sometimes I need to find a release valve for all that intensity and unfortunately that was this thread the last few days. I think I need to relearn the art of screaming into a pillow on my balcony.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Hi all, I’d like to apologise for dominating the thread yesterday and my dog-with-a-bonedness. I usually hate that myself. I have fairly intense stuff going on in my life and sometimes I need to find a release valve for all that intensity and unfortunately that was this thread the last few days. I think I need to relearn the art of screaming into a pillow on my balcony.

Just ignore the annoying ones after you get the last word in.

Works wonders :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

GreeBo wrote: »
    Just ignore the annoying ones after you get the last word in.

Works wonders :D

Pay attention: I AM the annoying one. :pac: :P

Nothing causes self-censorship more than having to use real names online. The whole point of forums like this is to allow people more freedom to express their true selves without that filter kicking in.

Unfortunately some people need that filter or they act like anonymous fúcktards.

I can do without that sort of self-expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭gifted

Take it to the TA thread...release your tension over there.....

I'm sure they'll make you feel welcome....lol lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You're grand, Dara, we all have bad days:).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think you should take up feedback about the Soccer forum with the soccer mods in their annual end of season feedback thread. After all, that's the purpose of their feedback thread.

I have to say that Soccer is generally well modded.

We all have days like that to some extent, but not all of us are big enough to admit it. :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I've just caught up on this thread (again) after having had to do the real life for a few days (again).

Despite the thread being dominated by one discrete issue over the past days, there is actually a corollary issue that I'd more general and affects all forums.

The default forum view only allows for x number of threads per page. Given that most people will happily continually scroll down forever but never across and NEVER click a tiny link to page 2, I wonder can something be done about that.

I am reliably informed there are browser plugins that will allow you to scroll down through numbered pages but clearly, it would be ideal for a site like this to have something like that in-built so that "real estate," as website people love to call it, is less of an issue.

(Also, I have further taken away things from earlier in this thread that will be up for discussion - provided I can still remember what they were when the time comes to choosing your feedback. I tend to look behind the face value of negative issues to see if there's something underlying that could be fixed if the problem can't be fixed on its face.

That said, some of the stuff is very straight-forward and doesn't take much analysis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The default forum view only allows for x number of threads per page. Given that most people will happily continually scroll down forever but never across and NEVER click a tiny link to page 2, I wonder can something be done about that.

While I've less of a problem with it within forums, the introduction of multiple pages on the front page of the site is something I argued strongly against when it was introduced for that very reason. All of a sudden there were fewer threads on the front page and let's face it, how many people ever navigate onto page 2, never mind page 3? As a result a lot of people probably miss threads that would be of interest to them, which naturally leads to less traffic on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Never mind the headache when you do go to page 2 and start reading through and accidentally hit back and everything ****ing changes... :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement