Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run commute

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Yes I am usually organised enough I should have it sorted to just have to put on run gear and grab small bag and go and normally wouldn't eat till 9am anyways for breakfast so that should be OK. sometimes getting my muscles to work that time in the morning ain't great but routine and repetition should sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

chris85 wrote: »
    sometimes getting my muscles to work that time in the morning ain't great but routine and repetition should sort it out.

Yes, I can vouch for that but that shouldn't stop you. Just take it easy at the start. My first mile is almost always the slowest mile of my run - I just take it very very easy at first and after a while the muscles loosen up and I speed up without even noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's worth thinking about keeping a bunch of shirts in work and using a laundry service, so they never come home. These guys offer a good service in Dublin, with free collection/delivery if you're over €20. 8 shirts cost €22.
    https://www.laundr.ie/

Thanks Andrew looks like good service but thankfully my office is a casual environment so jeans/tshirt is good enough. Makes it bit easier for a run commute. Also have secure bike shed and showers so good setup in fairness. 

Plan to give it a try this evening. Got train in this morning (bag with clothing + packed lunches for today/tomorrow). Will run home and run back in early tomorrow and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I've signed up for the Dublin Marathon this year and I was hoping to incorporate a few run commutes to work into my training schedule.

I live in Lucan and I work in Dublin City Centre. Have been cycling to work daily since 2016 and started running consistently (three times a week) since November 2017.

At the moment, I'm covering distances of approx 8 miles in just under the hour mark.

I have a few routes to choose from into work but they're all roughly about 10 miles. I'm really eager to do this but there's a little part of me that's weary of running the 10 miles, especially into work but I suppose that's natural.

Will post updates when I finally get it under my belt!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

coogy wrote: »
    At the moment, I'm covering distances of approx 8 miles in just under the hour mark.

I have a few routes to choose from into work but they're all roughly about 10 miles. I'm really eager to do this but there's a little part of me that's weary of running the 10 miles, especially into work but I suppose that's natural.

If you're well able to run 8 miles you won't have any problems running 10 miles.

Also, when training for a marathon, a 10 mile run becomes part of your bread-and-butter training.

So gave this a try and worked out OK but early start this morning was tough as expect. Was happy to travel light (work + personal phone + few cards). Ran easy 8.5km home yesterday but quite warm, up bright and early left the house about 5.45am to run 8.5km to work. Struggled to get legs moving and perhaps could have been better hydrated also as was bit dehydrated perhaps after run home yesterday. Definitely nice to do and will try do this a few times each week. I have options thankfully it some days I just dont want to do the run or weather turns bad I can easily just jump on a train or take the bike in. 

Main thing is I got some extra miles in for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

chris85 wrote: »
    So gave this a try and worked out OK but early start this morning was tough as expect. Was happy to travel light (work + personal phone + few cards). Ran easy 8.5km home yesterday but quite warm, up bright and early left the house about 5.45am to run 8.5km to work. Struggled to get legs moving and perhaps could have been better hydrated also as was bit dehydrated perhaps after run home yesterday. Definitely nice to do and will try do this a few times each week. I have options thankfully it some days I just dont want to do the run or weather turns bad I can easily just jump on a train or take the bike in. 

Main thing is I got some extra miles in for the week.

Nice one. I think I'll definitely try it this week!

Advertisement