Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The GAA need to go back to basics

• 28-12-2017 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Do you think that a GAA supporter in the 1950s enjoyed watching the game any less than today’s GAA supporter. The answer I think is no, he enjoyed it every bit as much.

So why is our GAA Players semi professional at this stage with hired managers, S & C Coaches, physios, Nutricionist etc etc for what is a voluntary game and could be enjoyed every bit as much at a less elite level.

Here is an idea. Apply the same rules to managers as to players ie. They can’t transfer wherever they want when ever they want and must apply to transfer. This would mean that local coaches would coach their local team and it would stop this payments madness to managers. Even at county level the same should be applied.

This year my club is forking our €1400 a month in cash to a hired manager. On top of that we pay our physio about €2000 a year and the latest thing is to put together a strength and conditioning class for early season at a cost of €7,000 to cover everyone. In my eyes it complete madness. On top of that we have competition fees to county and Croke Park etc etc.

The GAA needs to nip it all in the bud and look at the whole structure before it’s too late.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

Do you think that a GAA supporter in the 1950s enjoyed watching the game any less than today’s GAA supporter. The answer I think is no, he enjoyed it every bit as much.

So why is our GAA Players semi professional at this stage with hired managers, S & C Coaches, physios, Nutricionist etc etc for what is a voluntary game and could be enjoyed every bit as much at a less elite level.

Here is an idea. Apply the same rules to managers as to players ie. They can’t transfer wherever they want when ever they want and must apply to transfer. This would mean that local coaches would coach their local team and it would stop this payments madness to managers. Even at county level the same should be applied.

This year my club is forking our €1400 a month in cash to a hired manager. On top of that we pay our physio about €2000 a year and the latest thing is to put together a strength and conditioning class for early season at a cost of €7,000 to cover everyone. In my eyes it complete madness. On top of that we have competition fees to county and Croke Park etc etc.

The GAA needs to nip it all in the bud and look at the whole structure before it’s too late.

The best managers are the ones who do it for nothing. Speaking from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yes the GAA needs to look at the whole structure but simply stating funding coaches is bad is incorrect. Applying a ruling about making coaches apply to transfer if they wish to coach isnt practical or necessary. And certainly wont stop payements to coaches.

The best managers are the ones who do it for nothing. Speaking from experience.
    I dont think that is true. May in some cases but not in a lot. All depends far more on what a coach really wants to do in a role not whether or not theyre getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Roscommon County team costs 15,000 euro a week to run according to article by Kevin mcstay. Think it was on joe. Ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

You would want to be winning a club all ireland!! With the amount of money you're spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I think a good physio deserves to be paid.
    it is their livelihood afterall!

managers shouldn't be getting cash.
    it should be vouched expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

in our club the players pay for S&C sessions during the year. €5 per session. they'd be paying more for a local gym

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

S&C coaches and Physios have every right to expect a professional fee for their services. Managers should be reimbursed for their time, travel etc, a manager that's truly invested in their position is involved 7 days a week, pre/post game analysis, stats, training plans etc. The problem I have is the amount they're being paid or more to the point the financial burden placed on the general membership to meet that demand.

The Dublin club manager merry go round is in full swing at the minute and (anecdotaly) to the mainpart it's not the big clubs that are handing over the large twine, more the 2nd tier ones.

Advertisement