Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippy's using frozen chips.

Options
  • 27-12-2017 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭

All the local chippy's round here all use frozen chips for their chips, don't make their own. I've seen myself in all the chippy's, either big sacks of frozen chips behind the counter, or them being carried in. I think its a ****ing disgrace, if I wanted frozen chips I'd go the shops myself and buy frozen chips, when its more than 3 quid for a small bag of chips, they can **** off giving us frozen chips, frankly.

Anyone have any really good chippy's local? Or do you not mind paying for frozen chips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why are you buying chips from a carpenter?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Haven't they done that since the freezer was invented?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

The Forge in Urlingford Co. Kilkenny on the old main Dublin to Cork main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A lot of people don't like fresh chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭Odhinn

All the local chippy's round here all use frozen chips for their chips, don't make their own. I've seen myself in all the chippy's, either big sacks of frozen chips behind the counter, or them being carried in. I think its a ****ing disgrace, if I wanted frozen chips I'd go the shops myself and buy frozen chips, when its more than 3 quid for a small bag of chips, they can **** off giving us frozen chips, frankly.

Anyone have any really good chippy's local? Or do you not mind paying for frozen chips?

Dirty heathen bastards. I'm liberal, but theres a limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

It's not a disgrace because you can choose not to buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Grayson wrote: »
    Haven't they done that since the freezer was invented?

Not when I was growing up. In my local chippy, you'd see the guys wife/sons peeling potatoes all day, and they were fresh as fresh can be.

As fresh as deep fried potato is, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

As long as they taste nice I don’t particularly care if they are made in the chipper or frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Homemade chips are ****e. Served in every chipper south of Ennis. Was recently in a chipper in Midleton which called itself the best chipper in Ireland and it was dire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Are these chips like what we would call "chipper" chips, or are they like the ones you'd get in a Chinese? I never thought about it but if "chipper" chips are cooked from frozen and come out the way they do, I couldn't care less. In fact it's probably better because there's less wastage.

• Advertisement

Are these chips like what we would call "chipper" chips, or are they like the ones you'd get in a Chinese? I never thought about it but if "chipper" chips are cooked from frozen and come out the way they do, I couldn't care less. In fact it's probably better because there's less wastage.

The first one. Chinese chippy chips are always awful, but you don't go there for the chips so thats alright.

The first one. Chinese chippy chips are always awful, but you don't go there for the chips so thats alright.

So do they taste really different when cooked from frozen?

I feel like they do. Although thats taste from memory, since I've never tasted frozen/fresh chips side by side.

I feel like they do. Although thats taste from memory, since I've never tasted frozen/fresh chips side by side.

Ok well I get what you're saying now. All the best with working this out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I go for sweet and sour chihuahua balls

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Frozen chips should be banned in chippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

What is a "Chippy" :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, fresh chips tend to be soggier

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've never heard of frozen chips in a proper fish and chips shop. I don't think they'd get away with it in Dublin. You are always only a mile or two away from another chipper in Dublin

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've never heard of frozen chips in a proper fish and chips shop. I don't think they'd get away with it in Dublin. You are always only a mile or two away from another chipper in Dublin

I live in and am referring to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Yes, if they buy in real potato chips rather than the Chinese takeaway type, fine by me as long as they taste good and aren't too greasy. It’s not haute cuisine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

What is a "Chippy" :confused:

He means a chipper - at least he'd better. *slams fist into opposite hand menacingly*.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm a very peaceful sort of fella but if I bought a bag-o-chips from the local chipper and went home to discover they were cooked from frozen I'd probably go back to the chipper and murder the staff.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, fresh chips tend to be soggier

Only bad fresh chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How do you know that they are frozen? They could be buying in peeled and chopped fresh spuds, like nearly every restaurant in the world does for their veg. Paying someone €9 an hour to peel spuds isn't cost affective, if you could find a smuck to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I'm a very peaceful sort of fella but if I bought a bag-o-chips from the local chipper and went home to discover they were cooked from frozen I'd probably go back to the chipper and murder the staff.

Zactly. The boys of 1916 didn’t die for frozen chips.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    How do you know that they are frozen? They could be buying in peeled and chopped fresh spuds, like nearly every restaurant in the world does for their veg. Paying someone €9 an hour to peel spuds isn't cost affective, if you could find a smuck to do it.

Cos they've got logos on the bags and are giant sacks suggesting they're bought in bulk and don't look fresh whatsoever. I shall ask the next time I'm passing.

Advertisement