Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama warns social media 'corroding civil discourse'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Hea right about cancer media though. It makes people even more toxic idiots than they already are.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

He's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Great for the NSA though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Great for the NSA though.

Obama is?

No Strings Attached?

You hooking up with him on the side?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Not as corrosive as a drone strike I would imagine

• Advertisement

Not as corrosive as a drone strike I would imagine

Or a Ryanair one

Take that Micko O'Leary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

If he’s so smart how come he’s not president???

If he’s so smart how come he’s not president???

He's not bigly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Obama is?

No Strings Attached?

You hooking up with him on the side?

Ask Andrew McCabe.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What he means is MSM and government have lost the narrative and we cant have citizen journalists opposing The Truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I would totally agree.
    Previous to Trump it was bad enough. Best examples are IMDB and YouTube. The comments section on those (now defunct on IMDB) are sad indictments of how low human discourse has sunk.
    As far as the 70's and right up to the 90's public broadcasting of one's opinion was the reserve of professional broadcasters and journalists who were employed by TV, radio and print media who could be held accountable for any inaccuracies in their content.
    Now any moron with an IQ in the single digit range can open a Twitter account and broadcast their insanity to the slobbering masses.
    And the problem is twofold. Not only can a man who is the embodiment of every bad internet troll ever spout his worthless hate, bile and ignorance, there are hoards of morons in the world who willingly lap it up and sweep this man into power on a wave of cheering, hollering and shouts of "Fcuk Yeah!" and "USA! USA! USA!".
    And this is how liberty and intelligence dies.
    Ladies and gentleman, it's been a pleasure, I'll see you on the other side of the mushroom cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I would totally agree.
    Previous to Trump it was bad enough. Best examples are IMDB and YouTube. The comments section on those (now defunct on IMDB) are sad indictments of how low human discourse has sunk.
    As far as the 70's and right up to the 90's public broadcasting of one's opinion was the reserve of professional broadcasters and journalists who were employed by TV, radio and print media who could be held accountable for any inaccuracies in their content.
    Now any moron with an IQ in the single digit range can open a Twitter account and broadcast their insanity to the slobbering masses.
    And the problem is twofold. Not only can a man who is the embodiment of every bad internet troll ever spout his worthless hate, bile and ignorance, there are hoards of morons in the world who willingly lap it up and sweep this man into power on a wave of cheering, hollering and shouts of "Fcuk Yeah!" and "USA! USA! USA!".
    Ladies and gentleman, it's been a pleasure, I'll see you on the other side of the mushroom cloud.

It should be noted that there's no small amount of guilt on the traditional media - eg British press, Fox news etc - either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Yeah let's all get our news from fair and balanced sources like CNN. Feck of Obama..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

biko wrote: »
    What he means is MSM and government have lost the narrative and we cant have citizen journalists opposing The Truth.

It's the politicians worst nightmare...being held accountable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I agree with him ... And RTE stuck in the Trump reference when I don't believe he was targeting Trump at all. The anti Trumpers are just as bad if not worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

biko wrote: »

No, he means people can live in a bubble where everyone approves their opinion and ideals and get so detached from the real world they become deluded to what the actual truth is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

ThisRegard wrote: »
    No, he means people can live in a bubble where everyone approves their opinion and ideals and get so detached from the real world they become deluded to what the actual truth is.

Trump & brexit the best examples of this. How were so many people so shocked?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Trump & brexit the best examples of this. How were so many people so shocked?

Thanks a million for your vote of confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

For a US president who has the distinction of being the only two term US president to have had his country at war with someone for every single day of his term. A US president who had over twenty six thousand bombs and rockets dropped on twelve different country in just the final year to try take any moral high ground makes me sick.

He can go fvck himself and his idea's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

By ''people'' you mean everyone, right? Or just the ones who have different opinions than you? The detached, deluded people who supposedly don't live in the ''real'' world?
    This whole polarisation and manufactured divisiveness in the social and political arenas is what is corroding the civil discourse far more than anything else. How dare anyone have an opinion that does not fit a certain program. But they do and they will have different opinions, they just keep quiet about it for fear of social ostracisation until they are in the privacy of the polling booth. Then wham - Trump happens, etc.

(And by 'you' I don't mean you personally - just this whole echo-chamber whataboutery always seems to apply to the ......hmmm...how could I call them... the deplorables, maybe? Seems legit.)

I find it a bit of a laugh that all the ex-Facebook execs and silicon valley dudes and now ex-President Coolio are coming out now and wringing their hands about the disasters of social media. They were the very ones who whipped that animal into their service mercilessly when they thought they would always win the race. It's about time they just accepted the way the dice rolled and went back to working out actual authentic and humane policies that might get them elected next time they give the democratic process an airing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

494745648-presidential-candidate-donald-trump-gives-a-thumbs-up.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I would totally agree.

Stop the world you want to get off?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Obama, the guy who sold billions of dollars worth of weapons to Saudi Arabia for their war against Yemen.

It is amazing that people take Obama seriously, good PR, but scratch the surface and he has been a very destructive president.

Malayalam wrote: »
    By ''people'' you mean everyone, right?

It's pretty obvious what I meant. And there was no mention of one part of the political spectrum or another.

You're reading what you want to in my pretty straightforward statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

582e04f31800001b0030eb23.jpg?ops=scalefit_720_noupscale

It's pretty obvious what I meant. And there was no mention of one part of the political spectrum or another.

You're reading what you want to in my pretty straightforward statement.

Okay, so you mean everyone then. Everyone on all parts of the political spectrum is in '' a bubble where everyone approves their opinion and ideals and (they get) so detached from the real world they become deluded to what the actual truth is''.. That view point I can willingly accept :)

Lol, people have got to admit he has one of the weirdest faces in the world, just makes one laugh to scroll past multiple images of him thumbs upping...haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The translation is that the he's panicking over the waning power of his pals in the mainstream media

This elitist c**t makes the orange space hopper less objectionable every day. At least Trump hasn't turned a sizable chunk of a continent into a mad max set yet.

• Advertisement

Malayalam wrote: »
    Okay, so you mean everyone then. Everyone on all parts of the political spectrum is in '' a bubble where everyone approves their opinion and ideals and (they get) so detached from the real world they become deluded to what the actual truth is''.. That view point I can willingly accept :)

Exactly, people as in some people of all ideological persuasions can create such echo chambers for themselves.

Advertisement