Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Anyone else repulsed by Alcohol?

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭ lufties


    I mean, I don't even think about it anymore. It sounds strange to say this to a drinker, but Alcohol doesn't even register with me anymore to the point it repulses me.
    A year ago I defined myself as a drinker, and it was part of who I was. Now alcohol is like a complete stranger.
    Anyone else feel like this?


«1

Comments



  • Let me in on your secret




  • Let me in on your secret

    I think once you have some time AF, like any drug it will completely leave your system. You will also develop new interests and coping mechanisms (fight or flight).




  • lufties wrote: »
    I mean, I don't even think about it anymore. It sounds strange to say this to a drinker, but Alcohol doesn't even register with me anymore to the point it repulses me.
    A year ago I defined myself as a drinker, and it was part of who I was. Now alcohol is like a complete stranger.
    Anyone else feel like this?

    You were doing it wrong.

    Alcohol is grand in moderation or the rare blowout.




  • I stopped drinking regularly a good few years ago. I would still drink at Christmas, Weddings and a couple of times during the Summer if there was a BBQ or get together.

    I had a couple of cans of Guinness last night when the missus opened some vodka. I was looking forward to having one or 2. I used to love the stuff but after the first sip it completely turned me off. To the point where I don’t think I would ever try it again or any other spirits.




  • I stopped drinking about 2 years ago and now the slightest taste of any drink just puts me completely off


  • Advertisement


  • More or less haven't had a drink in just over a year here and I'd be the same.

    I didn't give it up voluntarily either, more so down to an illness changing lifestyle that restricts me from going on the rip. I used to love a round of pints every weekend too, now I can't stand them.

    I'd a single bottle of beer the other week and I felt as sick as a dog for days after it. I think it's just lager that doesn't sit with me.

    I can still do a single Guinness/Stout or 2 tops, but even that's not the same anymore. I prefer not to drink at all.




  • lufties wrote:
    Alcohol doesn't even register with me anymore to the point it repulses me.

    That's a contradiction in terms. It either doesn't register with you or it repulses you. It can't do both.

    The very fact that you use a word as strong as "repulse" would suggest that t very much does still register with you.




  • Dial Hard wrote: »
    That's a contradiction in terms. It either doesn't register with you or it repulses you. It can't do both.

    The very fact that you use a word as strong as "repulse" would suggest that t very much does still register with you.


    OK well 90% of the time it doesn't enter my head. 10% of the time I do, I feel repulsed. Happy?




  • lufties wrote: »
    OK well 90% of the time it doesn't enter my head. 10% of the time I do, I feel repulsed. Happy?

    For someone who “doesn’t even think about it anymore” your post history begs to differ.

    Don’t take this as an attack, I just feel you’re being dishonest with yourself. There’s no shame or harm in talking about it.




  • For someone who “doesn’t even think about it anymore” your post history begs to differ.

    Don’t take this as an attack, I just feel you’re being dishonest with yourself. There’s no shame or harm in talking about it.

    Jesus, so you've been delving into my old posts, how sad. Well I'm nearly a year off it. The thought of consuming the drug repulses me. Take that whatever way you like, I couldn't give a flying fcuk.


  • Advertisement


  • I'm not repulsed at all--for others. In fact I love to be with friends or family who still drink, love to buy alcohol as gifts ---of course this only includes people who are not alcoholic/problem drinkers.

    And neither here nor there, but I don't class alcohol as a "drug". I consider it a foodstuff, and alkies/problem drinkers not as addicts, but more akin to those who have an allergy to certain foods: nuts, etc. Makes more sense to me since alcohol is a carbohydrate, has calories, etc.

    It's good that you are repulsed perhaps by the idea of you taking a drink again Lufties! Big change alright. It's great :)




  • lufties wrote: »
    Jesus, so you've been delving into my old posts, how sad. Well I'm nearly a year off it. The thought of consuming the drug repulses me. Take that whatever way you like, I couldn't give a flying fcuk.

    No. I browse this forum occasionally and I recognised the username. I clicked on your profile to be sure. Nothing sad about it.

    You talk a lot about alcohol for someone that says it doesn’t even register with you. That’s all I’m saying, you can take that whatever way you want etc.




  • My brother has never drunk, and he gets really irritated when people express shock that he doesn't. He really despises drink, though. Strange, because everyone else in the family drinks.




  • No. I browse this forum occasionally and I recognised the username. I clicked on your profile to be sure. Nothing sad about it.

    You talk a lot about alcohol for someone that says it doesn’t even register with you. That’s all I’m saying, you can take that whatever way you want etc.

    It was a big part of my life for nearly 20 years until I saw the light. So yeah, talking about it on the odd occasion is quite normal. In any case, the way I feel now shows how far I've progressed, and how you actually end up nearly feeling shaming to the damage you've done by using alcohol.




  • lufties wrote: »
    Jesus, so you've been delving into my old posts, how sad. Well I'm nearly a year off it. The thought of consuming the drug repulses me. Take that whatever way you like, I couldn't give a flying fcuk.

    You obviously do.

    01001110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01000111 01101111 01101110 01101110 01100001 00100000 01000111 01101001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01010101 01110000





  • I drink just to socialise and I enjoy a few pints. Only go out on a Friday night.
    I just can't sit in every night and only talk to the wife so I need the pub. Nowhere else to socialise and unwind with friends.
    I don't like to be with drunk people though and can't understand why people get into a state like that where they become annoying with alcohol.




  • I very rarely drink nowadays. maybe once or twice a year.
    I actually drank way too often from a young age, but the last 10years I just have had no interest in it.
    I hate the thoughts of drinking now.

    I will say though, that because I don't drink, I have a nearly non existent social life:(.
    I know I can do other things, but its not the same as having an evening out with friends and having a drunken laugh.
    I'm happy that I don't, but I do sometimes feel like i'm missing out a lot by not going to the local :confused:




  • lufties wrote: »
    It was a big part of my life for nearly 20 years until I saw the light. So yeah, talking about it on the odd occasion is quite normal. In any case, the way I feel now shows how far I've progressed, and how you actually end up nearly feeling shaming to the damage you've done by using alcohol.

    And fair play to you man. There’s absolutely no harm in talking about it.
    I quit regular drinking and smoking years ago and never shut up about it for a long time. I honestly wasn’t trying to have a go.




  • Amazingfun wrote: »
    I'm not repulsed at all--for others. In fact I love to be with friends or family who still drink, love to buy alcohol as gifts ---of course this only includes people who are not alcoholic/problem drinkers.

    And neither here nor there, but I don't class alcohol as a "drug". I consider it a foodstuff, and alkies/problem drinkers not as addicts, but more akin to those who have an allergy to certain foods: nuts, etc. Makes more sense to me since alcohol is a carbohydrate, has calories, etc.

    It's good that you are repulsed perhaps by the idea of you taking a drink again Lufties! Big change alright. It's great :)

    I'm sorry to say, it is a drug. As much as we like to do mental gymnastics to think otherwise. The only hostility I get from being AF is in Ireland funnily enough. Anywhere else I get respect and admiration. Perhaps its a bit of Irish begrudgery. When I was a drinker and met someone who was AF, it annoyed me because it showed up my own bad habit. Deep down I was so envious and admired the person.




  • And fair play to you man. There’s absolutely no harm in talking about it.
    I quit regular drinking and smoking years ago and never shut up about it for a long time. I honestly wasn’t trying to have a go.

    Cheers. And in fairness I'm not trying to shout it from the rooftops, just saying how I feel. Hopefully it might inspire someone to see the light like I did.
    So many people go through life miserable and using drink as a mask, never tackling their issues. This manifests in depression or worse. I was that person in the alcohol\depression merry go round.


  • Advertisement


  • lufties wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say, it is a drug. As much as we like to do mental gymnastics to think otherwise. The only hostility I get from being AF is in Ireland funnily enough. Anywhere else I get respect and admiration. Perhaps its a bit of Irish begrudgery. When I was a drinker and met someone who was AF, it annoyed me because it showed up my own bad habit. Deep down I was so envious and admired the person.

    You think that the attitude on display, in your post, has anything to do with the reception you get?

    I hardly drink anymore (once every few months) and when I do it's because I've heard of a nice hoppy pale ale or balanced fruity cask ale but god help me if I ever develop the attitude of a "reformed" drinker.

    People can enjoy a drink for the flavour and experience as opposed to the intoxicating effect.

    01001110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01000111 01101111 01101110 01101110 01100001 00100000 01000111 01101001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01010101 01110000





  • Cork_exile wrote: »
    lufties wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say, it is a drug. As much as we like to do mental gymnastics to think otherwise. The only hostility I get from being AF is in Ireland funnily enough. Anywhere else I get respect and admiration. Perhaps its a bit of Irish begrudgery. When I was a drinker and met someone who was AF, it annoyed me because it showed up my own bad habit. Deep down I was so envious and admired the person.

    You think that the attitude on display, in your post, has anything to do with the reception you get?

    I hardly drink anymore (once every few months) and when I do it's because I've heard of a nice hoppy pale ale or balanced fruity cask ale but god help me if I ever develop the attitude of a "reformed" drinker.

    People can enjoy a drink for the flavour and experience as opposed to the intoxicating effect.
    Ah yes, nice shaming tactic there. Nothing wrong with being repulsed by the negative effects of a poison. I used to smoke, they also repulse me now. I never put anyone down for drinking, because I was there myself once. Thing is, you are the one with the poor attitude. I'm pointing out how positive my life has been AF, and how I've grown as a person, tackling things I've masked since I was a teenager. 
    However, pointing these things out is uncomfortable to those who drink regularly.
    Oh you are from Cork,:'( don't think I've ever met a humble open minded cark person in my whole life lol.




  • Enough of the hostility.

    Bans to follow if it continues.

    Thanks




  • Dave! wrote: »
    Enough of the hostility.

    Bans to follow if it continues.

    Thanks

    Understood

    01001110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01000111 01101111 01101110 01101110 01100001 00100000 01000111 01101001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01010101 01110000





  • Cork_exile wrote:
    Understood

    Pretty sure that was directed at the OP




  • It's directed at everyone. It's a fair enough topic to discuss, if you don't have a contribution to make then don't post. Thanks.




  • lufties wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say, it is a drug. As much as we like to do mental gymnastics to think otherwise. The only hostility I get from being AF is in Ireland funnily enough. Anywhere else I get respect and admiration. Perhaps its a bit of Irish begrudgery. When I was a drinker and met someone who was AF, it annoyed me because it showed up my own bad habit. Deep down I was so envious and admired the person.

    Nah, no "mental gymnastics" needed here. Alcohol has calories, it's a carb, so technically its a foodstuff. I get why so many refer to it as a drug tho, so whatever floats your boat really ;)

    And I agree with you on the only people who give grief to non-drinkers usually being those with a problem themselves, but I strongly disagree on it being something peculiar to Ireland! Not my experience at all.




  • I like an aul pint




  • sugarman wrote: »
    More or less haven't had a drink in just over a year here and I'd be the same.

    I didn't give it up voluntarily either, more so down to an illness changing lifestyle that restricts me from going on the rip. I used to love a round of pints every weekend too, now I can't stand them.

    I'd a single bottle of beer the other week and I felt as sick as a dog for days after it. I think it's just lager that doesn't sit with me.

    I can still do a single Guinness/Stout or 2 tops, but even that's not the same anymore. I prefer not to drink at all.

    Pancreas related by any chance? If so I’d be interested in hearing more due to being there myself.


  • Advertisement


  • I was a party animal, drank three nights a week at least most likely had two savage hangovers to accompany these sessions. Drinking was part of my work routine, entertaining clients, meals out with customers etc. My wife likes a few drinks too so was plenty of opportunity on the home front to keep up my hobby. Was never an alcoholic but my units per week were well up, could always take it or leave it.

    Three years ago after a binge my Pancreas packed in, no more drink for me. I don’t miss it now at all and wish I had seen the light years ago.


Advertisement