Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good free calorie counting apps...?

Options
  • 27-12-2017 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Looking for a good, free calorie tracker app.

My fitness pal is very limited, it doesn't let you adjust serving size, well at least the free version doesn't.

Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Looking for a good, free calorie tracker app.

My fitness pal is very limited, it doesn't let you adjust serving size, well at least the free version doesn't.

Any others?

It does let you adjust serving size.

If the entry is in as a serving being 100g, for example, enter the number of servings according.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

It does let you adjust serving size.

Yup, just enter 1.5, 0.8 etc to suit, great app.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

As previous poster said, you can enter how many portions you have had. Best app of them all. Speaking of, I must start using it again! It really worked for me tracking my eating habits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SnitchenBubs

Sorry:o

I really have no explanation for missing that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I use cronometer. Cronometer breaks down the nutritional info much better, but mfp has a much bigger database of prepared foods/is easier to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭treenytru

+1 for chronometer....I eat vegan most days so it really helps me to keep track and make sure I'm getting all my vitamins:)

Cronometer is better for tracking micronutrients but for most people, the bigger database of food on MFP makes it better for tracking calories

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How do people use myfitnesspal for meals they've prepped themselves? I mean if I make my own curry and have loads of veg, chicken etc in there...I'd find it impossible to break it down for mfp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How do people use myfitnesspal for meals they've prepped themselves? I mean if I make my own curry and have loads of veg, chicken etc in there...I'd find it impossible to break it down for mfp

You just need to weigh the foods during the prep/cooking stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

As buckety said, weigh the components going into it. Then you can save it as a meal so that you can just select that combo again the next time you make it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's why I don't use any of these apps, too much hassle. I don't eat any ready made meals etc so if you are cooking everything and it varies a lot it is quite a chore. It's a bit easier if you make similar meals a lot. Only use I get out of them is cronometer for checking micros every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You create a recipe for it. Weigh/scan the individual components, enter how many servings the whole thing makes, save and bob's yer uncle.

Dial Hard wrote:
    You create a recipe for it. Weigh/scan the individual components, enter how many servings the whole thing makes, save and bob's yer uncle.

Yep, woul never be far off unless you vary your recipe massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I use cronometer. Cronometer breaks down the nutritional info much better, but mfp has a much bigger database of prepared foods/is easier to use.
    bigger database isn't always better. I've seen many peoples' complaints about too many variations of the same food items on MFP - when everybody is allowed to add to database it becomes cluttered with duplicates and inaccurate entries.

I use cronometer too (add free version) and I'd like to recommended it but they've really messed it up with their last update :mad:

That is reallllly annoying on MFP yeah, you have the same food with completely different values so don't know what to pick.

That is reallllly annoying on MFP yeah, you have the same food with completely different values so don't know what to pick.

Most of the time it's just different serving sizes with entries that I've noticed tbh.

Variances in food entries haven't been big enough to get hung up on, in my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭AllForIt

How did anyone loose weight before calorie counting apps? Mystery.

AllForIt wrote: »

How did people build things before cement mixers and the like?

There are new tools. Use them.

AllForIt wrote:

With a fair amount of difficulty apparently, hence their popularity: mystery solved ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You just have to check - easy enough if you have a packet in your hand. In my experience, it's often manufacturers updating/ changing information, so not necessarily people entering it wrong (although why people can't just enter a per 100g rather than a portion...).

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

You can also import a recipe on mfp from a URL. ''Tis very handy.

Advertisement