Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An honest view from a GAA Secretary

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dollar bill

krazyklown wrote: »
    I think realistically its time to decide what we want at club level - at the moment some teams are operating at a near semi professional approach - do we need to step back a bit to the days of training just once or twice a week so that people can take on the job of managing a team with a reasonable time commitment without any renumeration? Focus a bit more on the enjoyment of sport.

Very valid point,Alot of clubs are pushing towards semi professionalism mirroring the county scene,A ruthless pursuit of illegal payments at both levels is the only cure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

krazyklown wrote: »
    I think realistically its time to decide what we want at club level - at the moment some teams are operating at a near semi professional approach - do .

You are totally right in what you say, but on this point they are basically aping whats happening at inter county level.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

I assume the clubs who fork out the big money on managers have a good club lotto going in oder to support these payments..

Maybe the approach to eradicating these payments is when the lotto licence is up for review proof of how the money is used is needed to renew the licence.. all lotto takings have to be banked etc..

It definitely feels like the bubble needs to bust on this "industry"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I assume the clubs who fork out the big money on managers have a good club lotto going in oder to support these payments..

Maybe the approach to eradicating these payments is when the lotto licence is up for review proof of how the money is used is needed to renew the licence.. all lotto takings have to be banked etc..

lotto licence?
    its just fill a form at the local garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dollar bill

Very good idea and maybe the GAA should state that no grants be given to clubs if their are discrepancies in accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Clubs often pay people from the bar till. Easy enough to hide all that, assuming they have customers!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I dont know what other clubs do, but I would have thought most clubs are transparent with their payments? Paying coaches to be over teams is not illegal, and whether the payment is €80 or €100 or whatever, its very easy to manipulate it into a tax free expense that goes through books. 65c per mile is the agreed rate for the GPA and players, easy to use that and put the mileage up or have additional sessions on paper to account for the shortfall.

There are obviously plenty of bluffers and spoofs going around the managers merry go round, but there are also plenty of qualified coaches who spend a lot of time working hard and in any other sport, would be getting paid well.

I'd also question as to why clubs themselves dont stop it if they have a problem with it. If you dont want to pay a manager, then dont. There is no one forcing anyone to do anything. Spend the money otherwise being spend on managers on improving the coaching set up within the club. Have workshops, get the coaching courses run in the club. Be prepared for the future, dont be relying on mercenaries or others coming in to hawk the club for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Well, managers are not supposed to be paid. It is in violation of association rules. Which is a myth as we all know. Our club had people in during pre-season training who were professionals and entitled to be paid, but it was still done underhandedly. I think that's what annoys people. The pretence that Anto or Mickey Joe is doing it for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

nice_guy80 wrote:
    lotto licence? its just fill a form at the local garda station

Pretty sure the licence has to be signed of by the district court but probably based on the form filled out at the station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Clubs often pay people from the bar till. Easy enough to hide all that, assuming they have customers!

very few clubs have bars

Advertisement