Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice from native Irish person please.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

OP , that is the name of a very bad criminal.

You should not trust some of yhe suggestions on this thread.

Rats out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

padser wrote: »
    To cut out the nonsense

@OP

Devin is a perfectly normal Irish first name. In particular, if you are somewhere between 20 and 35, it was one of the more popular names used for people when you were born.

That's a lie... and on Jesus' birthday. It's in no way one of the more popular names for that age group. I'm in that bracket myself and never knew, or even knew of, even one person being called that growing up in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would you not be better to find the anglicised version of your first name - there generally is a match unless you have a very unusual name - and a simplified version of your second name? Going to a very Irish name that has no relation to your actual name is a bit artificial sounding and would involve more explanation than just making your name more user-friendly to locals. Think of it the other way round, if an Irish person went to your home country and re-named themself by more or less picking a name from the phone book, wouldn't people find it a bit strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

looksee wrote: »
    Would you not be better to find the anglicised version of your first name - there generally is a match unless you have a very unusual name - and a simplified version of your second name? Going to a very Irish name that has no relation to your actual name is a bit artificial sounding and would involve more explanation than just making your name more user-friendly to locals. Think of it the other way round, if an Irish person went to your home country and re-named themself by more or less picking a name from the phone book, wouldn't people find it a bit strange?

This is the safest option. An English version of their own first name and a simplified version of their own surname if that is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Why do you need both a first name and surname???

"What's your name?"
    "Devin"
    "Devin what?"
    "Just Devin. Like Cher or Bono. Except it's Devin"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What about Enda Kenny ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

What about Enda Kenny ?

Ah here, Larry Murphy is one thing, but we can't be this mean... not on Christmas anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Never heard of it as a surname, and to be honest the only people I know who have it as a first name are Americans.

Devin toner is a pretty famous irish person with that first name !

And OP, personally I think it seems like quite a normal first and last name, But who cares if it sounds irish? Some of the most common 'native ' surnames in ireland are smith and fitzgerald and they are of british and french origin. And theres thousands of other people with brtish/protestant surnames which became so common in ireland that they're accepted as irish names now. Its a multicultural country.youll fit in here with whatever name you have

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

backspin. wrote: »
    What is your first name. You need to be careful. Eg if your name is Vladimir or Wolfgang then a very Irish surname may not work. Vladimir O'Flaherty or Wolfgang Callaghan is going to sound odd.

Wolfgang Callaghan is a ****ing brilliant name.

Wham, bam, thank you mam, says Wolfgang Callaghan.

Wolfgang Callaghan, big fan of the Wu Tang Clan

If OP doesn't want it, I'll have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

OP Devin would be good if you want to blend in as a prod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I used to work with a guy from Bulgaria with one of those mad fordin names so in work (sales job) he went by Walter Curtis as it was phonetically one of the easiest names for him to pronounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To cut out the nonsense

@OP

Devin is a perfectly normal Irish first name. In particular, if you are somewhere between 20 and 35, it was one of the more popular names used for people when you were born.

Devin as a last name is a little uncommon - but not so much that it would stand out. I come across people every day who have slightly altered surnames from common Irish one, Devlin, Devine etc are common Irish surnames and no one would bat an eyelid at something similar to that names as a surname

I've known quite a few people with the surname Devin. Wouldn't consider it unusual. I've never met anyone in Ireland with that forename.

Makes sense. It didn't exist as a name here before the late 90's
    http://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/babynamesofireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Murt Urshirote would be a good name if you’re an author.
    (Books another two tickets for Irexit event)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

dremo wrote: »
    Last couple years I'm contemplating to change my name and surname using a "deed poll" I've been running scenario in my head with several names/surnames, just to see if it doesn't get too awkward or boring if I decide to stick to it.

My last choice is "Devin" I'd like to get an advice from native Irish person. Is "Devin" suited both as name and surname? I'd like to keep it as a surname, but I love the name version too. I'd love to get your opinion. Since I'm outsider, and I have no clue how to blend in corectly. I hope to get an insight on it. Thank you for reading. Happy holidays.

Blending in is mostly down to attitude ... not a certain name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

weisses wrote: »
    Blending in is mostly down to attitude ... not a certain name

At the same time, it helps if your name is Leister Sidebottom, and you find yourself in the middle of an orange parade on the 12th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Are you a madman, fond of hats and the ladies?

Trent would be a good choice then

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Aongus von bismark?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’d choose Shawn

It’s as Irish as a pint of Guinness, or Aer Lingus, or Calvin Klein

• Registered Users Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Why do you need both a first name and surname???

"What's your name?"
    "Devin"
    "Devin what?"
    "Just Devin. Like Cher or Bono. Except it's Devin"

That's devinly something to think about.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To cut out the nonsense

@OP

Devin as a last name is a little uncommon - but not so much that it would stand out. I come across people every day who have slightly altered surnames from common Irish one, Devlin, Devine etc are common Irish surnames and no one would bat an eyelid at something similar to that names as a surname

Not that popular to be fair, even at its height it wasn't that common.

IMG_0309.jpg

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    But who cares if it sounds irish? Some of the most common 'native ' surnames in ireland are smith and fitzgerald and they are of british and french origin. And theres thousands of other people with brtish/protestant surnames which became so common in ireland that they're accepted as irish names now. Its a multicultural country.youll fit in here with whatever name you have

For the record, the vast majority of people with the surname Smith in Co. Cavan, the Irish county where Smith is by far most common, are of Irish origin, Mac Gabhann. Likewise with other Smiths in adjoining counties, with the anglicised McGowan being more common as the English version on Cavan's western border, in northeast Connacht/the further one goes from the Pale.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Prawo Jazdy is a very common name here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Delvin is a town in Westmeath

the only thing its good for is drinking
    go with Delvin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Delvin is a town in Westmeath

the only thing its good for is drinking
    go with Delvin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I'd suggest you use Devin as a christian name ,but maybe you not Christian .

Try Devin Doyle . It might blend in

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Mickey Scratcher? (Or Wilie Scratcher)
    Ivan O'Toole
    Hugh G. P. Ennis
    Mickey Feehily
    Dick Phelan
    Ulick Magee

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

So close, Donald!
    williestroker_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqZQY3IjH7QbR7re3soR1Zt8RrpN2XdyfqWPAhmi25hRE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,513 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Never heard of it as a surname, and to be honest the only people I know who have it as a first name are Americans.
    Several families of Devin in the Dundalk area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

byte wrote: »
    So close, Donald!
    williestroker_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqZQY3IjH7QbR7re3soR1Zt8RrpN2XdyfqWPAhmi25hRE.jpg

That's the one I was looking for. Even googled it but was googling "scratcher" and google didn't correct me!

You should be ashamed useless Google nerds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lonewolf1961

Paddy Murphy . Now Your Irish . no one can dispute that .

Advertisement