Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslims celebrating Christmas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

At least Muslims belive Jesus to be one of the great prophets. There are many people in Ireland celebrating Christmas, who have no belief in Jesus at all.

It was the "Merry Christmas" that I thought was a nice touch too. Not the PC "happy holidays"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I have Muslim neighbours next door with kids.
    And we always exchange Christmas presents and Easter eggs at Easter with each other.

Have you been to Malmo?.

I've a friend living there, he's an Israeli Jew. He's married to a Swedish Jew and raising their children in a Jewish home, he's perfectly happy to stay living in Malmo for some reason.

But I get what you're saying too, and your attempt at a wind up.

I'm not sure if I'd walk down Luton or Bradford either, but sure there's arseholes and extremists everywhere.

Yeah, I'd bet you'd see less abuse in Malmo than in Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

XsApollo wrote: »
    I have Muslim neighbours next door with kids.
    And we always exchange Christmas presents and Easter eggs at Easter with each other.

Most of my neighbours are presumably baptised into the Catholic faith like myself. And I wouldn't give half of them the steam off my piss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The Donald has a different take on the ould Muslims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

At least Muslims belive Jesus to be one of the great prophets. There are many people in Ireland celebrating Christmas, who have no belief in Jesus at all.

So what? There's a lot of Christians celebrating the wrong day, if that's where you're going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So what? There's a lot of Christians celebrating the wrong day, if that's where you're going.

I'm no going anywhere, relax.
    The point being that there's as much, if not more, reason for Muslims in this country to mark Christmas as the many people who have no religious belief at all. That's all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Coming over here just blending in not imposing sharia and just being generally sound! How dare them sound cvnts do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm no going anywhere, relax.
    The point being that there's as much, if not more, reason for Muslims in this country to mark Christmas as the many people who have no religious belief at all. That's all.

Fair enough, I took the "at least" in the wrong context. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Yes....some of them would be Muslims .........

Just because you are baptised it doesn't mean you believe in Jesus...and just because you're born into the Muslim faith, it also doesn't mean you believe

• Advertisement

Christians celebrating Christmas Yule is a bit hypocritical too. It’s a hijacked pagan festival after all.

Asking a non-Christian why they celebrate Christmas is like asking someone why they have sex when they don’t want to have kids.
    Exactly, it's a festival to celebrate the passing of the shortest day of the year, I'll drink to that!

My point is fair play to them for making an effort at integration. Giving all the ****e going on over the last few years people would have you believe that they hate us and our way of life. Behead the infidels ect. Fair play to them.
    Nothing to do with integration, it's business after all.
    If they were in a town that had a large muslim population and almost all their customers were also muslim , there's no way they'd have the christmas stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Non-Christians shouldn’t be celebrating chrimbo tbh. Giving credence to their nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Non-Christians shouldn’t be celebrating chrimbo tbh. Giving credence to their nonsense.

Whose nonsense exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nothing to do with integration, it's business after all.
    If they were in a town that had a large muslim population and almost all their customers were also muslim , there's no way they'd have the christmas stuff up.

And why would they?

As my Granda used to say, you don't bring turnips to a cattle Mart.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It was the "Merry Christmas" that I thought was a nice touch too. Not the PC "happy holidays"

new years is a holiday too

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eurasian

I was once suprised that many people are not aware that Muslims love and respect Jesus and his mother Mary (Isa and Maryam).
    Muslim lads in the shop wearing Christmas outfits don't do that for religious resons thought. It's just a clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Noel82 wrote: »

Ah just what I need...I'm going there early in Jan...and I was in Paris the night of the attacks...I'm bad luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Not sure if this should be encouraged. Might cause enragements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Yes Muslims are just normal people mainly

Normal people yes. Normal religion no.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

As my Granda used to say, you don't bring turnips to a cattle Mart.

Ah yeah, but sure your Granda was mental.

He was obsessed with bringing his favourite turnip everywhere with him when he was a child til his own mother tried to stop him by telling him that saying and he just repeated ad nauseum over and over like Rain Main for the next 60 years.

The Discombobulated Man he was known as

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

quintana76 wrote: »

What's so abnormal about the religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

What's so abnormal about the religion?

Stonings, multiple wives, throwing homosexuals off buildings, no bacon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

remember in scotland a year or 2 back a muslim shop owner was murdered by another muslim for pretty much the same thing.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

quintana76 wrote: »
    Just like Christianity, there are many different beliefs in Islam and many different levels of belief in each as well.

Just because one particular strand is extreme doesn't mean they all use that strand as their baseline for normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Stonings, multiple wives, throwing homosexuals off buildings, no bacon etc.

You obviously don't know much about other religions. It seems pretty standard as a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You obviously don't know much about other religions. It seems pretty standard as a religion.
    When your Massiah is a warlord you're off to a bad start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Zebra3 wrote: »

Boooooooooooooooooo

Get out of here Grinch.

Take your self professed Atheism to AA, its Christmas for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Perhaps,if you were living amongst these "other religions" in far off backward,tribal or recidivist locations,then you could accept some of this stuff as "pretty standard".

However,we do not live thus.

We are,for all of our failings,living in a strongly democratic State,amongst a collection of like minded States,in which their populations enjoy the widest spread of Social,Religious and Individual freedoms,a great many of which strike at the very core of what belivers in traditional Islam support.

There can be nothing "standard" about a male dominated religion imposing requirements upon women to cover themselves up,in order to allow for the predilictions of their own menfolk,particularly as we as a society have only so recently managed to tear down a set of the same crazy impositions associated with our,now shattered religious beliefs.

Or,is it that we should embrace wild-eyed lunacy such as this in our haste to be "inclusive"...?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/09/tanveer-ahmed-jailed-for-murder-glasgow-shopkeeper-in-sectarian-attack
    Ahmed, 32, a Sunni Muslim, confessed to confronting and then attacking Shah because the newsagent was an open adherent of the Ahmadi branch of Islam, which believes the prophet Muhammad was not the final Muslim prophet.

As he was led from the dock on Tuesday, Ahmed raised a clenched fist and shouted in Arabic: “Praise for the Prophet Muhammad, there is only one Prophet.” His cry was repeated by some supporters in the public gallery.

No remorse,no recognition of humanity,just a total belief in his right to lay waste to those with whom he does'nt agree...even if from his own Religion.

Sorry,but i'm not buying any of this as "pretty standard",especially when it centres on Religious Belief.....
    Arriving at the shop on 24 March, he ordered Shah to stop describing himself as a prophet, warned he would kill him and began plunging a knife into Shah. As Shah’s brother and a shop assistant struggled to prevent the attack, Ahmed dragged Shah outside onto the pavement, stabbing, punching and stamping on him, shattering bones in his face.

:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement