Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circulars - New rates of pay from Jan 1 - 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Anyone else find it strange that allowances for pre-2011 teachers are not subject to the 1% salary increase? Another scam by government so it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,155 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sir123 wrote: »
    Anyone else find it strange that allowances for pre-2011 teachers are not subject to the 1% salary increase? Another scam by government so it seems.

They are getting the 1%????

km79 wrote: »
    They are getting the 1%????

Are you sure? The circular has accounted for the 1% increase in salary on the common basic scale for pre-2011 teachers, however, further down the circular, Honours Degree and Hdip allowance are the same, i.e. not inclusive of the 1%. I had just noticed this discrepancy but it clearly is important to note as it will in fact be less than a 1% increase if this is the case for pre 2011 teachers.

In have just been reading the circular there and apparently the term 'fixed' is used to describe teachers who receive allowances. It sounds like the 1% will only be applied to salary scale. I find this very strange as the common basic scale and allowances make up teachers' pay, i.e. they go hand-in-hand.

Hence, another reason why teachers on all three pay scales should insist that their union is not bound by ICTU for the purposes of this agreement. It was rejected for a reason, and it's even more of a reason to fight having looked at this sham.

Are you sure? The circular has accounted for the 1% increase in salary on the common basic scale for pre-2011 teachers, however, further down the circular, Honours Degree and Hdip allowance are the same, i.e. not inclusive of the 1%. I had just noticed this discrepancy but it clearly is important to note as it will in fact be less than a 1% increase if this is the case for pre 2011 teachers.

In have just been reading the circular there and apparently the term 'fixed' is used to describe teachers who receive allowances. It sounds like the 1% will only be applied to salary scale. I find this very strange as the common basic scale and allowances make up teachers' pay, i.e. they go hand-in-hand.

Hence, another reason why teachers on all three pay scales should insist that their union is not bound by ICTU for the purposes of this agreement. It was rejected for a reason, and it's even more of a reason to fight having looked at this sham.
    Sorry I understand you now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Who's getting this increase in January? I thought all unions rejected the new pay deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I thought that as we technically haven't signed up that we don't get it.

dory wrote: »
    Who's getting this increase in January? I thought all unions rejected the new pay deal?

INTO and TUI released a statement before the holidays, but nothing from ASTI. I'm not too sure how it's going to pan out to be honest. All I know is that the 1% increase is not a 1% increase for pre-2011 teachers.

http://www.into.ie/ROI/NewsEvents/LatestNews/Title,44262,en.php

https://www.tui.ie/news-events/public-service-pay-and-pensions-act-2017-.12002.html

INTO and TUI released a statement before the holidays, but nothing from ASTI. I'm not too sure how it's going to pan out to be honest. All I know is that the 1% increase is not a 1% increase for pre-2011 teachers.

http://www.into.ie/ROI/NewsEvents/LatestNews/Title,44262,en.php

https://www.tui.ie/news-events/public-service-pay-and-pensions-act-2017-.12002.html
    We got all the rises under HRa even when we had not signed up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

km79 wrote:
    We got all the rises under HRa even when we had not signed up

Didn't the Govt pass something before Christmas that allowed them to withhold increments and pay restoration for a certain time period from those that haven't signed up or did I just seem that?

Didn't the Govt pass something before Christmas that allowed them to withhold increments and pay restoration for a certain time period from those that haven't signed up or did I just seem that?

That's true wirelessdude, but then I saw the circular and was wondering. At the rate it's going, they can hold onto their increase as far as I am concerned, not even a full 1% for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

What was inflation over the period that covers.
    I know what I'd be saying to my boss if he came to me with a 1% pay rise. That's actually a pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

KellyXX wrote: »
    What was inflation over the period that covers.
    I know what I'd be saying to my boss if he came to me with a 1% pay rise. That's actually a pay cut.

That's a tremendously naive view of Public Sector pay and collective bargaining agreements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There is another increase in April and I think October for the civil service.

I can't see why teachers would get it when your unions haven't signed up to the deal...what's the point in anyone signing up if that was the case!

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    That's a tremendously naive view of Public Sector pay and collective bargaining agreements.

So you think 1% is a good deal then . LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Work in the public sector and even though I got several increments and a promotion, I take home a lot less than I did in 2007

So it is better than nothing, at least it is not a reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Can't seem to find it, can someone tell me what the starting salary will be for new entery into further ed college? Will these changes impact starting salary ?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Is there an increment due for pre-2011 primary teachers this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So enlighten me - how do I get a better pay deal?

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So enlighten me - how do I get a better pay deal?

Going about it in a way that you are happy with 1% is certainly not the way to do it now, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

So do we all get this? Unions seem very vague in it. Pay will be up anyways due to other budget measures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I’m a Primary Teacher and can’t see how we’d get the pay increase when we, as a union voted against it.

honeybear wrote: »
    I’m a Primary Teacher and can’t see how we’d get the pay increase when we, as a union voted against it.

As stated earlier ASTI members got one when outside HRA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

TheDriver wrote: »
    So do we all get this? Unions seem very vague in it. Pay will be up anyways due to other budget measures
    Yeah, the raised ceiling for the higher rate of tax and the reduction in USC will affect our pay far more than this supposed 1% raise. It’ll be nice to get some more money anyway, even if the government insist on misrepresenting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭DC

TheDriver wrote: »

Yes. Everyone is getting it, regardless of each union's vote. A letter dated 18th December was sent from ICTU and had all the public sector unions attached as an appendix, including TUI, ASTI and INTO.

The 1% was almost insignificant. It was the increment freeze that scare the likes of me, an assistant lecturer at the top of the scale and due to go to lecturer grade in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Up a tenner a fortnight. Looks like that's just the USC changes as no 1% evident (probably because it's only 3rd Jan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Up a tenner a fortnight. Looks like that's just the USC changes as no 1% evident (probably because it's only 3rd Jan)

Mine is up by €12

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

How do ye know already??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

How do ye know already??

We're paid fortnightly so paid tomorrow, get payslip emailed a day in advance

How do ye know already??

Mine is always in my bank the Wednesday night before

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    We're paid fortnightly so paid tomorrow, get payslip emailed a day in advance

Are we able to get our payslips by email instead of post now??

Advertisement